Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Riding in Maine - Trip Report  (Read 2280 times)

kiro

• 1K CVO Member
    • ME

• CVO1: 2017 FLHTKSE
    • CVO2: 1986 FXR Super Glide - antique, but the Evo lives on!
    • A Shot in the Dark
Riding in Maine - Trip Report
« on: July 13, 2014, 01:40:31 PM »

I took a few days planning to ride into northern Maine along the Canadian border last week. Packed my tripod and camera gear to photograph landscapes along the Fish River heading north to Fort Kent and Madawaska (the northernmost town on the four corners run). As it turned out I never got that far north. I was seeking open roads and less traffic, my CVO is still new and we needed to bond a bit. This was the certainly the correct route to accomplish this – running the Maine Williwacks is enjoyable… Below are a few recent exposures of my scoot pre-trip.
Stopped near Sherman on I-95 and took a panoramic view of distant Mount Katahdin in Baxter State Park – the attachment is an excerpt from the overall image. This is the highest peak in Maine at 5,269 feet. It had been an excellent morning with great riding so far. However, at this stop it started to rain. Looked like the forecast was one day off - I’d expected it to be clearing with an occasional chance of rain. I had a dry bag along to cover my photography equipment, carried in a backpack and tied off in lieu of a BSR, so I secured my cameras and lenses against the weather and continued north. I was in rain for the next five hours.
I was around forty miles from the Canadian border still riding in the rain. Traveling into the storm I didn’t expect things to improve, so I abandoned the border plan and headed east to Presque Isle. Later stopping in Bangor for the evening, I decided to head south and over to Rangeley Lakes to ride in the western mountain region the next day. This got me into nice weather, warm and sunny, downright hot at times. I made only one stop to break out the camera gear – this was at Screw Auger Falls in Grafton Notch State Park. Below are a few HDR exposures from this stop.
Because I’ve been working out of state for multiple months this was the first opportunity I’d had to really get out and run some distance on my Ultra Classic. It’s big and heavy in use around town, but on the open road I was duly impressed. The suspension and exhaust changes done over the winter made this scoot even more of a pleasure to ride. I logged 837 miles in my travels over two days.

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
Re: Riding in Maine - Trip Report
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2014, 02:07:00 PM »

Very nice.  :2vrolijk_21: Beautiful pictures.  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

MIKEYTEE

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka. Uncle Mikey! Mikeytee for Burbon Judge and
    • SC

• CVO1: 1999 ROADGLIDE Ultra SOLD
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2014, 04:04:20 PM »

Lookin good, and the scenery is nice too!
Mike
 :drink:
Co-Founder /National Board Member/ Zen Master of CVO Harley Pondering,Hankering, & Moseying Society with all Honors, Rights and Accolades.

Charter Member CVO Harley Critter Gawking Society
Charter Member Husband Saints Society. We have Lucky Wives!
I saw the worlds largest ball of string in Cawker City, Kansas

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2014, 04:21:57 PM »

Man I love that bike. If I were to go Ultra...

2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High

phato1

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011.5 FLHTCUSE6 - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2001 FLSTFI - non CVO, but really cool
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2014, 05:32:04 PM »

Come on over to Ultraland - you know you want to   ;D

Besides with your tourpak installed your almost there  ;)

kiro, glad you were able to make the best of the weather situation and had an enjoyable trip. Thanks for sharing the photos  :2vrolijk_21:
"The solutions are all simple....after you have arrived at them."     - Robert M. Pirsig

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2014, 05:45:57 PM »

Come on over to Ultraland - you know you want to   ;D

Besides with your tourpak installed your almost there  ;)

kiro, glad you were able to make the best of the weather situation and had an enjoyable trip. Thanks for sharing the photos  :2vrolijk_21:

Haven't figured out how to make my legs longer and I have this one just the way I want it. I couldn't imagine having to do all the comfort mods again, UGH!

2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2014, 05:50:42 PM »

X2   :2vrolijk_21:

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2014, 06:09:33 PM »

Nice bike great photos. May have to have a snap off with kiro and jock. Lol
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society

D-N-D

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • PA

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTKSE Limited / Moonlight Blue & Deep Sea Blue
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2014, 05:28:11 AM »

Nice Pictures !!! Thanks.
DND

RayG

• "What the hell was I thinking?"
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHRSE4
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2014, 09:48:08 AM »

We put 375 miles on the SERK on Saturday after leaving the always treacherous Hurricane road in NH near the Maine border we headed up on Rt. 26 to Grafton County and Screw Auger falls.  That is a real nice rice in the fall.  (middle of the week to avoid most leaf peepers) Almost impossible to not go air born on Hurricane road.  Dangerous but can be a real blast.  We did a very similar ride that you did last August. 

kiro

• 1K CVO Member
    • ME

• CVO1: 2017 FLHTKSE
    • CVO2: 1986 FXR Super Glide - antique, but the Evo lives on!
    • A Shot in the Dark
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2014, 10:14:08 AM »

Is the Hurricane road the portion of Route 16 in New Hampshire going into Maine RayG? In any event, this stretch of road was treacherous for sure - logging trucks & heavy loads have beaten it up badly. Definitely had to slow down in the curves or the moguls, divots and cracks would have the front end jumping all around. It improves significantly once you cross the state line, but still could be improved. I think this entire area would be a superb fall ride.

RayG

• "What the hell was I thinking?"
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHRSE4
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2014, 11:12:23 AM »

Actually you have to leave route 16A which is in between Rt 302 & Rt 112 which is the Kanc to get onto Hurricane road.  Yes it will take you into Maine but there are no signs to indicate it, the road is narrow, dark and a compressed version of the Dragon.  Another awesome road is Bear Notch which hooks up 302 & 112, it's short but lots of corners and the view is nice.  Since last year they paved a fairly long section of Hurricane Rd so you will find yourself moving quicker than you should for a big bike.  If you are aggressive on that road you will go air born for a brief period on a few sections.  When you get to the end I took a left on route 13 near Fryeburg that took us to Rt. 2 and then a right until you see the sign for route 26 which is right after Sunday River Ski area.  Rt 26 goes through Grafton County and if you continue you will go into NH through the Balsam's and then into VT if you want to.  I ride the road through Grafton often and have never seen a LEO but I have seen numerous Moose depending on the time of the day.  That could be a trip buster right there.  If you were looking on either side of the road as you past Screw Auger Falls as you continue to climb and look on both sides of the road you will see the heavy mucked up area from the Moose getting to the road salt mixed in with the mud.  Have seen a few Bear on all these Roads too.  Hurricane road would be better off being called Roller Coaster Road because that is what you feel like when you are on it. 

I now use a radar detector with the remote light in the Helmet, one of the best investment I ever made, I never leave home without it.  It lets you push it where it is safe to do so. 

If you or anybody is up that way and want company let me know. 
I just might have to do it again in a few weeks.  There are some nice roads for this part of the country.

Page created in 0.167 seconds with 27 queries.