Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: cam support plate bushing  (Read 2076 times)

rheiner

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 120r motor Black Diamond/Crimson Tag Graphics
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Riptide Blue/Titanium Dust
cam support plate bushing
« on: September 15, 2014, 04:40:23 PM »

I have a 2010 CVO ultra classic with the 110 engine. As part of my routine maintenance I am going to inspect my camshafts and replace the needle bearings with Torringtons, O-rings etc. When I had my parts manual out to get a list of the parts I need, I see there is a bushing in the cam support plate, part no. 25344-99. I figure I might as well replace that too but I cannot find the location in the manuals how to do it. Can anyone direct me to where the procedure to replace the bushing is in the 2010 service manual? 

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: cam support plate bushing
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2014, 08:18:06 PM »

I have a 2010 CVO ultra classic with the 110 engine. As part of my routine maintenance I am going to inspect my camshafts and replace the needle bearings with Torringtons, O-rings etc. When I had my parts manual out to get a list of the parts I need, I see there is a bushing in the cam support plate, part no. 25344-99. I figure I might as well replace that too but I cannot find the location in the manuals how to do it. Can anyone direct me to where the procedure to replace the bushing is in the 2010 service manual?

I can't refer you to a particular page number in your 2010 manual, but the procedure is on page 3-87 of my 2005 manual.  There is a special tool, Crankshaft Bushing Remover/Installer, HD-42315, that is used along with an arbor press to press out the old bushing and press in a new one.  Then you have to ream the bushing to size using the Crankshaft Bushing Reamer, HD-42316, following a specific procedure.  In other words, there's more to it than just slipping the old part out and slipping a new one in place.  I'd suggest inspecting the actual cam bearing surfaces in the plate first (no bushings, just the aluminum of the cam plate).  If those surfaces are damaged or worn, you will need to replace the plate.  The new one won't have the bushing for the crankshaft; Harley eliminated them for 2011 and that change affects replacement parts as well, so if you get a new plate you won't need to worry about a bushing.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

rheiner

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 120r motor Black Diamond/Crimson Tag Graphics
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Riptide Blue/Titanium Dust
Re: cam support plate bushing
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2014, 03:39:59 AM »

Thank you for taking the time to give such a fine detailed response.

Page created in 0.12 seconds with 21 queries.