Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: NEW CVO OWNER - ISSUES WITH BIKE LOOKING FOR ADVICE  (Read 2616 times)

HDSPRINGER711

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NC

NEW CVO OWNER - ISSUES WITH BIKE LOOKING FOR ADVICE
« on: September 12, 2014, 01:05:20 PM »

I bought a 2007 CVO Springer back in March. I got it used (no warranty) from a HD dealer and it only had 4,200 miles on it. I fell in love with the bike when I laid eyes on it. I had a heck of a summer riding and no issues until last week. I started hearing a knocking/whistling noise as I was riding down the road (7,500 miles at this point) so I immediately took it to a local mechanic who works on Harleys. He said it wasn't in safe condition to ride and pulled the motor apart. He found loose lifters and thinks something got into the engine because the piston cylinders had some pretty deep scratches. I haven't had him break down the rest but he said I'm going to be out at least $1,200 for the fix.

I called the HD dealer and they said that since I didn't buy a warranty that I was out of luck. However, maybe they could have Harley cover some of the cost if I brought it in. They wouldn't be able to let me know until I brought it in. I am aware of 110 issues with head gaskets and this repair had been done.

I guess my question to the group is "how would you handle the situation"? Should I have gotten the warranty, should HD cover the cost with low mileage and a few months from dealership? I'm trying not to be bitter but I did pay a lot of money for a reliable engine and went to HD because they look at their bikes. I also feel that a 110 engine shouldn't be having issues with so little mileage.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
Re: NEW CVO OWNER - ISSUES WITH BIKE LOOKING FOR ADVICE
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2014, 01:17:09 PM »

Since you are asking a technical question and seeking technical assistance/advise I moved your thread to one of our technical boards so you could get responses directed to your questions instead of "welcome to the board" type responses. If you want to create another (new thread) introducing yourself w/o any technical questions feel free to do so.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2014, 06:53:25 PM »

Most of your questions are retorical........don't really matter what you should have done. Suck it up and have it fixed or sell it. Sorry for my no help answer, but it is what it is.
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

phato1

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011.5 FLHTCUSE6 - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2001 FLSTFI - non CVO, but really cool
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2014, 08:16:05 PM »

As 2K said no sense in woulda, coulda, shoulda.. At this point get it fixed by a competent shop using quality parts and then ride it and enjoy it.

As far as getting HD or the selling dealer to do anything for you on an 8 year old bike?? not likely to happen...I would even go so far as to say a snowball has a better chance of surviving in he**. Sorry...
"The solutions are all simple....after you have arrived at them."     - Robert M. Pirsig

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2014, 09:26:35 PM »

Welcome to the land of 110 owners. Get it fixed with quality components and back on the road.

2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High

mark

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2014, 11:14:13 PM »

The HD shop said to bring it to them and they MAY be able to have HD to cover some of the cost.  I wouldn't hold my breath on that.  What obligation would HD have to repair a bike out of warranty? Think of the precident that would set.  I know you hate to hear it, but there is a risk in buying a used bike.

Smee

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: FxdseII
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2014, 04:41:15 AM »

Sorry to here your troubles, but ! $1200 for the repair sounds pretty good. At least the engine isn't  destroyed like others have.  :-\
Speed doesn't matter if the direction is wrong !

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2014, 10:02:33 AM »

A proper repair is a motor out of frame rebuild and cleaning of all oil lines, passages, the cooler, and oil pan. This is on top of replacing the damaged components. This job, done right, far exceeds $1200.
By the way the 07 Springer was only part of a shorter dealer campaign list that did not include replacing heads. That was done on the touring models only IIRC.

King2013

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2014, 03:17:38 PM »

I may be skeptical but it sounds like the dealer wants you to bring it there so they get the repair $$$ whether or not hd covers it. The dealer will charge you a whole lot more for that repair bill. Their thinking your not going to want to move it again after your told hd won't cover any of the repair.

charles05663

• 1K CVO Member
    • TX

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 - Petunia
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2014, 05:50:12 PM »

It is hard to get HD to cover defects on new bikes.  Thinking they will repair or cover costs in a bike out of warranty is naive and like was previously mention, the dealer is only telling you that so he can do the work himself and rake you over the coals.  Since he sold you the bike, if he truly cared he would fix it on his dime and would let you know beforehand.

:oops: :nixweiss:
And he saith unto them, Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.
Matthew 4:19

http://www.thefishermenministry.net/

Q:  What is the USA's number one export to China?
A:  Trash!  They loved our high quality trash. (not any longer).

Stolen technology and Jobs!

Page created in 0.149 seconds with 21 queries.