Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: To WRAP or not?  (Read 3617 times)

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3
Re: To WRAP or not?
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2014, 12:31:49 PM »

To each his own, but I would never ride in anything less than a pair of heavyweight jeans and real riding boots.  When I see people riding in shorts and sneakers or flip-flops or similar footwear I assume they are newbies that haven't had their first "git off" yet and haven't learned any better.  You have personally found one of the other common problems associated with riding with bare skin exposed.  Passengers tended to be the ones that suffered burns from exhaust pipes more than riders back in the day, when guys would give rides to kids or girl friends who weren't regular passengers on bikes.  I don't let the wife get on my bike in anything less than jeans, riding boots, gloves, jacket, and a helmet - same stuff I wear.  Can it be uncomfortable in 90° weather?  Sure it can.  Is it more uncomfortable than a second or third degree burn, or a case of road rash?  Absolutely not.

JMHO - Jerry
And here I am trying to get my wife to take clothes OFF

2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2014, 01:35:39 PM »

To each his own, but I would never ride in anything less than a pair of heavyweight jeans and real riding boots.  When I see people riding in shorts and sneakers or flip-flops or similar footwear I assume they are newbies that haven't had their first "git off" yet and haven't learned any better.  You have personally found one of the other common problems associated with riding with bare skin exposed.  Passengers tended to be the ones that suffered burns from exhaust pipes more than riders back in the day, when guys would give rides to kids or girl friends who weren't regular passengers on bikes.  I don't let the wife get on my bike in anything less than jeans, riding boots, gloves, jacket, and a helmet - same stuff I wear.  Can it be uncomfortable in 90° weather?  Sure it can.  Is it more uncomfortable than a second or third degree burn, or a case of road rash?  Absolutely not.

JMHO - Jerry
Jerry totally agree with you. :2vrolijk_21:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Rupert

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MD

« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2014, 02:22:03 PM »

JMHO - Jerry

I'm not gonna argue with you. I'm just gonna say Ive  been riding since I was eleven years old, and Im 50. I just made a decision to dress for the weather. Seriously, on really hot days I didn't even want to go riding its just too uncomfortable.  I am aware of how much it can hurt and for how long. I dont wear  helmet unless its cold or the law requires  it. I wear what I need to be comfortably functional for the conditions. I'm not out to convince anyone  to follow suit.
Flip flops are not gonna happen, that makes no sense at all. I need grip, more than most, Im 5 6, and shifting would suck I imagine.

08 SERK, with bigger bump sticks, rhinehart true duels, and a T-max. diamond cut jugs and stuff.

skorch

• Full CVO Member
    • NC

• CVO1: 2010 FLHXSE tequila sunrise
    • CVO2: 2018 FLHXSE gunship Gray
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2014, 05:06:25 PM »

I have wrapped a few pipes and the biggest drawback I had was the steam bath that occurred if you are in the rain and come to a stop-almost unbearable at long stoplights!-just my 2 pennies.
My 2008 SERK with " stage one" air ( just removed the back of the filter housing), cams and rhinehart true duals is burning my left leg. I recently added a T-max , one reason was to run a little fatter and hopefuly cooler, it is not as hot but still burningme. Hey Im 5-6 with big legs, and when I stop or my wife gets on the heat shield touches my leg and ..ouch.
I know I could get a new exhaust that doesnt have that big ass bend in it, one with anx pipe that crosses UNDER the bike,  but I just replaced the entire primary assembly and Id like to spend money on gas and refreshments rather than big money parts for awhile.
So I was thinking I might  remove the heat shield , wrap the exhaust, and put the heat sheild back on. Im also gonna get the engine vents, which will help, but believe me 80% of the heat is from the loop in the true duals.
anyone have experience in this, as in results?  I dont need a how to, but will take any pointers, such as how close to the 02s, etc.
Should I wrap both? will it make any differnce in the way the bike runs?
appreciatte anyoes input, thanks.

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2014, 05:24:11 PM »

Well my pipe is wrapped on the rear cylinder and I still burnt the chit out of my leg. I was wearing jeans and was sitting on it talking to someone when wow, searing pain. Two weeks later the big scab came off with a permanent scar. Think I will have to wear my leather pants or chaps. Both of them have melt marks in the same place as my burn. HMMMMMMM.

North Georgia Hawg

• HoneyBadger Don't Give a CHIT...
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • I HATE WINTER!!!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
    • CVO2: 2009 Chevy Avalanche LTZ Inferno Orange
    • CVO3: 2001 Ebbtide Mystique 2300: 8-ch 2000 watt audio system, two 12" Kicker subs
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2014, 06:17:57 PM »

And here I am trying to get my wife to take clothes OFF

Try either one of these, Jesse...  :2vrolijk_21:

Ken

HoneyBadger Don't Care...

TD AK-20s | Drago's S/C/S-4 | SE 259Es | Feuling 8015/7060/Rods | Black Ops Lifters
Cometics | Big Sucker 2 | Energy One +1 Clutch Pack | Hayden BT07 | ClutchWIZ
WPW Fans | TL P7 LEDs/Aux | Dynamic Ringz | Tour Pak | WO 575s | RT 665
Corbin DualTour | BAH Flush Front Axle | Chrome Calipers
The Wizard's Tune

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2014, 09:04:41 PM »

Try either one of these, Jesse...  :2vrolijk_21:

Ken

Ken alcohol used to work but neither of us drink any more lol

2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.175 seconds with 25 queries.