Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Intake Manifold Time Saver  (Read 3332 times)

MrSurly

• Formidable Faux
  • Elite CVO Member
    • TX

Intake Manifold Time Saver
« on: July 27, 2015, 09:51:22 AM »

The next time you remove your manifold and cuss the Allen cap screws on the backside that are such a pain in the backside to access; I have a suggestion. You can't access them with ball-ends or wobble jointed or any other fancy hex drivers and there's no room for standard hex bolts.

I spent about ten minutes with a Dremel modifying the things and it was probably the most satisfying little mod I've done in a while. Now, they can be run up with a 3/8" open end, saving several minutes of bad words while trying do them with a shortened Allen. Of course, you can still use the Allen for the final cinch down.

« Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 10:06:26 AM by MrSurly »
Rhetorical questions, who needs 'em?

2010FLHTCUSE5
Dethroned Garage Queen, Sullied 2013

RayG

• "What the hell was I thinking?"
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHRSE4
Re: Intake Manifold Time Saver
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2015, 03:45:43 PM »

I somehow lost my first reply but I'll try it again.  I had to replace a pair of intake seals twice due to the Indy not doing his job well.  On the second repair I had a long Allen head modified with a torch for some radical bends.  I also did what John Sachs mentioned on relieving some metal for better access.  No doubt it is a real PIA to do.  I have the 66mm S&S throttle body so there was very little room.  That is just an awesome solution,  don't see any drawbacks to your modification.

Excellent Idea 

Rimjam

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2015, 02:10:48 PM »

Surely you didn't do that Dremel work by hand?  Looks like machine work to me. Dang, you're good!

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2015, 04:42:29 PM »

12 point bolts are another option to consider there.  The heads are smaller than the hex so a smaller wrench can access. 

MrSurly

• Formidable Faux
  • Elite CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2015, 05:58:19 PM »

RimJam, thanks! Yes, by hand. I use the Dremel quite often so I've had some practice!

Twolane: yes, the 12-points can work here, but with them, you still have to put the box-end over the top of the bolt, whereas the hex will allow an open-end to go at it straight from the side, so it seems easier to me that way.

One thing is for sure, an Allen is NOT the ideal way in this tight spot.

2010FLHTCUSE5

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2015, 06:41:27 PM »

Twolane: yes, the 12-points can work here, but with them, you still have to put the box-end over the top of the bolt, whereas the hex will allow an open-end to go at it straight from the side, so it seems easier to me that way.

True the 12 points will require a box end only.  That's a down side.  The benefit though is with the 12 point you'll have more options to lay the wrench down over the head and can often get a longer throw on each turn.  Since the head (of both the bolt and the wrench) is smaller on the 12 point it tends to work pretty well.

Just another alternative.  But, yeah, just about anything can be an improvement over the allen head bolts.  Even with the specialty tool allen headed ratcheting wrench for that bolt they can be a pain.

Ghost__Rider

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2015, 06:54:14 PM »

A Ball Allen socket work very well...........just sayin.
2017 CVO SG, Suburban Speed 130" kit, Fullsac Stainless DXpipe, 2" Fullsac Cores,2014 CVO Limited, Fullsac DXpipe, Fullsac 2 1/4"CVO cores, TTS Matertune w/Fullsac Custom Map, Andrews 54 Cams. Spank You Very Much!!!
2012 Street Glide, 107cu.in./.625 T-Man cams, SE Pro CNC ported Heads, 10.8 Comp., 58mm ThrottleBody, 5.3inj, D&D Borzilla 2in1 Exhaust

MrSurly

• Formidable Faux
  • Elite CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2015, 07:54:07 PM »

Hmmmm that's not been my experience; That's  why I went to the trouble with the Dremel.
But if you have a wrench that works for you in THESE bolts, then you've got a winner!
Maybe if you had a ball end on the *short* leg of a really short Allen.
If what you have works for you, then congrats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2010FLHTCUSE5

Ghost__Rider

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2015, 08:43:22 PM »

Yeah, mine are short sockets. It works great on the right side bolts and I use the Screamin Eagle ball allen wrench on the left ones. Photos of both attached....

« Last Edit: July 29, 2015, 08:45:39 PM by Ghost__Rider »
2017 CVO SG, Suburban Speed 130" kit, Fullsac Stainless DXpipe, 2" Fullsac Cores,2014 CVO Limited, Fullsac DXpipe, Fullsac 2 1/4"CVO cores, TTS Matertune w/Fullsac Custom Map, Andrews 54 Cams. Spank You Very Much!!!
2012 Street Glide, 107cu.in./.625 T-Man cams, SE Pro CNC ported Heads, 10.8 Comp., 58mm ThrottleBody, 5.3inj, D&D Borzilla 2in1 Exhaust

Ghost__Rider

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2015, 08:46:24 PM »

ball socket

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2015, 11:34:56 PM »

In my experience sometimes; but not always.  If too tight the purchase just isn't good enough and they'll turn or round.  Especially if you're not on them very straight as is often necessary on the right side intake bolts.  Usually the ball allen will work.  It is always the first thing I grab for the right side bolts (a long ball allen socket actually).  But it won't always get the job done.  When it gets too bad / obnoxious sometimes just have to cut the head off the bolt then go back with something you'll swear at less.

98fxstc

• Full CVO Member
  • 09 FXDFSE
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2015, 11:34:36 PM »

I cut a length of allen key about 1" long
Put it in the end of the allen head bolt
Use an open ended spanner (spanner = wrench )to do most of the work and then pinch it up tight with a ring spanner (box wrench ?)

Page created in 0.294 seconds with 21 queries.