Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: High speed wobble freaked me out!  (Read 2041 times)

North Georgia Hawg

• HoneyBadger Don't Give a CHIT...
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • I HATE WINTER!!!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
    • CVO2: 2009 Chevy Avalanche LTZ Inferno Orange
    • CVO3: 2001 Ebbtide Mystique 2300: 8-ch 2000 watt audio system, two 12" Kicker subs
High speed wobble freaked me out!
« on: October 14, 2014, 11:02:54 AM »

OK, so on my way back from Panama City on I-75 north of Atlanta a week ago, my bud and I passed some slow moving cars, going from the right lane over three lanes (not crazy riding, and the coast was clear behind me!), accelerating to about 80 mph.

As I moved into the left lane on a right curve, I let off the gas, and Honey Badger developed a minor front end wobble that freaked me out. Not a full bore tank slapper by any means... but a definite wobble about five or six times when I let off the throttle. She has NEVER done that before!

The front tire is getting fairly close to end-of-life at 20K miles (as is the second rear tire actually), but I am thinking I need to put her on the stand and check out the neck bearings and adjust the setting.

Thoughts?

Thanks.

Ken

HoneyBadger Don't Care...

TD AK-20s | Drago's S/C/S-4 | SE 259Es | Feuling 8015/7060/Rods | Black Ops Lifters
Cometics | Big Sucker 2 | Energy One +1 Clutch Pack | Hayden BT07 | ClutchWIZ
WPW Fans | TL P7 LEDs/Aux | Dynamic Ringz | Tour Pak | WO 575s | RT 665
Corbin DualTour | BAH Flush Front Axle | Chrome Calipers
The Wizard's Tune

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3
Re: High speed wobble freaked me out!
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2014, 11:52:42 AM »

OK, so on my way back from Panama City on I-75 north of Atlanta a week ago, my bud and I passed some slow moving cars, going from the right lane over three lanes (not crazy riding, and the coast was clear behind me!), accelerating to about 80 mph.

As I moved into the left lane on a right curve, I let off the gas, and Honey Badger developed a minor front end wobble that freaked me out. Not a full bore tank slapper by any means... but a definite wobble about five or six times when I let off the throttle. She has NEVER done that before!

The front tire is getting fairly close to end-of-life at 20K miles (as is the second rear tire actually), but I am thinking I need to put her on the stand and check out the neck bearings and adjust the setting.

Thoughts?

Thanks.

Ken

Ken, Ruby recently started feeling funny in the front end. Turned out it needed the neck bearings greased. Smooth as a baby's butt now. May not be your issue but something to check.

Jesse

2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High

ultrarider123

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2014, 12:12:59 PM »

I'd go with what Jesse said along with what you originally have noticed on the front tire needing replacement, Ken.  I've got just a hair over 26K on the front on Ginger and while there is good amount of tread still present, time for a new tire.  Noticed some of the same "symptoms" you describe going over and coming back through the Smokeys on I40 going over to SC this past weekend.  Wanted to change the tire last week before I went but will do it soon now it's back home.

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2014, 12:32:30 PM »

I'd go with what Jesse said along with what you originally have noticed on the front tire needing replacement, Ken.  I've got just a hair over 26K on the front on Ginger and while there is good amount of tread still present, time for a new tire.  Noticed some of the same "symptoms" you describe going over and coming back through the Smokeys on I40 going over to SC this past weekend.  Wanted to change the tire last week before I went but will do it soon now it's back home.
Howard stop bragging about riding in the Smokies!

|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High

North Georgia Hawg

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • I HATE WINTER!!!

• CVO3: 2001 Ebbtide Mystique 2300: 8-ch 2000 watt audio system, two 12" Kicker subs
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2014, 12:41:21 PM »

Thanks guys. I will check the neck bearings for proper adjustment and lube them.

I will probably wait til the spring to get new tires, as I don't tend to ride much in the winter anyway.

I also need a new compensator and probably new clutch plates. My clutch is making a WEIRD weird noise when I take off from a standing start, before it fully engages. It sounds as if the howling is coming form the front of the primary where the comp is... and I feel the vibrations through the clutch lever. Never heard of this issue. The Energy One extra plate kit only has about 12K miles on it, so I wouldn't think the plates are totally worn out yet.

I mean, I ride Honey Badger like a grandpa going to church!

Or maybe not...

Ken

TD AK-20s | Drago's S/C/S-4 | SE 259Es | Feuling 8015/7060/Rods | Black Ops Lifters
The Wizard's Tune

North Georgia Hawg

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • I HATE WINTER!!!

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2014, 12:42:52 PM »

Howard stop bragging about riding in the Smokies!

Howard just does that because he CAN!  :-\

Ken

The Wizard's Tune

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2014, 12:47:35 PM »

Howard just does that because he CAN!  :-\

Ken
I know soooooo jealous!

ultrarider123

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2014, 01:45:12 PM »

Oh you guys...............

Page created in 0.15 seconds with 21 queries.