Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Author Topic: info on new lifters  (Read 9301 times)

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3
Re: info on new lifters
« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2014, 09:45:16 PM »

Guys thank you for the great info . With only 24000 miles I don't need to worry about the reliability of a $35000 bike. I traded it in on a 2015 Street Glide   see ya on the road     just not on a cvo
Damn!

2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High

cahdbiker

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #31 on: October 24, 2014, 08:08:51 AM »

After reading most of the posts on this thread, I became interested in the different amounts of run outs people are having. I do remember a friend of mine who went to gear drive on his 03 Dyna which had a 95 inch kit. Of course the indy mechanic ( who has a good reputation locally ) doesn't bother to check the crank run out before the S&S 585 gear drive install.  The bike runs fine, but the gear drive proceeds to whine so much that my friend pays to have everything redone, including of course taking care of the crank issues, etc. ( he had it "pinned and welded" and trued by a local crank guru), he also had his engine  punched out to 103 cubes. The bike ran smooth as glass after that with virtually no  cam gear noise.  I don't remember what the final specs were, but it was quite a bit lower than .005. I guess my point here is that why doesn't HD have some "tech" check each crank before it goes into each bike so we could all have an acceptable run out. For what we pay it is the least we could do. Also they should re up their CVO special assembly since I understand from what I read here that the CVO's now run on the assembly line with the non CVO bikes. We shouldn't have be "Lucky" to get a bike with acceptable crank runout. Just venting after reading all these posts. Since the thread was already jacked I thought my comments would be acceptable. If not I apologize. CAHDBIKER

2009 SEUC just south of Point Mugu Ventura County, Ca.

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #32 on: October 24, 2014, 08:35:25 AM »

CAHD Harley considers .012 acceptable!

|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #33 on: October 24, 2014, 02:15:54 PM »

The bikes used to be assembled by a special team in a separate part of the factory. But that was just bolting all the pieces together. As far as I know the motor never received any 'special' attention. I'm sure the motor came in already assembled and ready to bolt in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #34 on: October 24, 2014, 02:49:53 PM »

The bikes used to be assembled by a special team in a separate part of the factory. But that was just bolting all the pieces together. As far as I know the motor never received any 'special' attention. I'm sure the motor came in already assembled and ready to bolt in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You are correct.  The only "special" treatment was the way they bolted all the various parts together at the final assembly plant.  And it wasn't all that special.  Under the old Harley assembly system, they didn't have a way to run the CVO's down the main assembly line, so they chose to set up a small separate operation in a separate building, staffed with a handful of people.  The result wasn't necessarily great and wonderful like some people seem to believe.  Because they didn't use the real production tooling that was on the main assembly line, the older CVO's came out with all kinds of poorly fit parts and loose parts.  And those people bolting them together didn't inspect the parts they bolted on, as evidenced by the large number of obvious defects in the painted parts that rolled right on to the final customer.  The one advantage I can think of to that old obsolete system was that you didn't hear of anyone getting a standard model fender or tank, since none of those parts were sent to the CVO area in the first place.  Since the CVO's have been moved to the main assembly line, we do hear more about misbuilt bikes (wrong parts installed), but a lot less about loose parts or parts falling off, or hydraulic clutches full of air right out of the crate.

There was nothing magical or wonderful about the old method of assembling CVO's.  It was strictly a stop gap decision that was cheaper for Harley than trying to incorporate the bikes into the main assembly process at that time.  Once the CVO volumes became larger, and the company revamped it's assembly plants, it became economically advantageous for Harley to move the CVO's to the main line.  It's the same way Ford started out doing the SVO cars, btw.  And now those cars are part of the main assembly line as well.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

cahdbiker

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #35 on: October 26, 2014, 12:51:20 PM »

Jswerve, I understand HD considers that acceptable, but I think they should have a much higher standard considering how they go on and on about the quality of their  products, and the problems that their crankshafts cause a lot of the people on the site. We have a local crank truing expert who can get less than .005 any day of the week. I believe HD should have the most important part of the engine held to much higher standards than they do. I appreciate all your comments. CAHDBIKER

CAHD Harley considers .012 acceptable!

2009 SEUC just south of Point Mugu Ventura County, Ca.

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #36 on: October 26, 2014, 01:17:52 PM »

Jswerve, I understand HD considers that acceptable, but I think they should have a much higher standard considering how they go on and on about the quality of their  products, and the problems that their crankshafts cause a lot of the people on the site. We have a local crank truing expert who can get less than .005 any day of the week. I believe HD should have the most important part of the engine held to much higher standards than they do. I appreciate all your comments. CAHDBIKER
We all agree with you. Except for Harley of course. :)

kojak

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #37 on: October 28, 2014, 07:47:38 AM »

I doubt it...
Yup. I ride the same way and the se255 is a good, inexpensive upgrade. I believe its stock now on the new touring bikes.
kojak
2022 CVO RGL
2022 Apex FLTRK Traded
2021 CVO Limited Bronze Armor Sold
2019 RGS Billiard Blue Traded
2017 CVO Limited Spiked Olive Traded
2016 CVO SG Stardust Traded
2013 CVO RG Atomic Orange Sold
2010 CVO SG Cobalt Sold
2007 CVO RK Blue Traded
2005 CVO EG Teal Traded
And some 20 other bikes over 45 years
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Page created in 0.156 seconds with 21 queries.