Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cleaning the stock air filter  (Read 5876 times)

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3
Cleaning the stock air filter
« on: July 29, 2013, 12:57:50 PM »

Is the stock filter on my CVO washable. I am used to K&N filters in my vehicles so I just use the K&N cleaner and rinse, let em dry, then use the spray on them. Is this the same route to take on my Harley element?

2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High

NH Bulldog

• Full CVO Member
    • NH

• CVO1: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 CVO Ultra Classic
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited
Re: Cleaning the stock air filter
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2013, 01:45:35 PM »

It depends on what you have for intake.  My 2012 CVO Ultra has the high-flow intake stock, which uses a "washable" filter element.  I use the K&N Filter Charger kit like you describe once per season
2017 CVO Limited - Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue with Wicked Sapphire
Red Knights MAL

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2013, 01:46:45 PM »

Follow the procedure below.  They sell a cleaner product, but you can also use simple Dawn dishwashing soap.
DO NOT OIL THE FILTER, it is a dry element.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2013, 02:06:01 PM »

It depends on what you have for intake.  My 2012 CVO Ultra has the high-flow intake stock, which uses a "washable" filter element.  I use the K&N Filter Charger kit like you describe once per season
yes mine had the stage 1 filter it came stock.

|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2013, 02:09:04 PM »

Follow the procedure below.  They sell a cleaner product, but you can also use simple Dawn dishwashing soap.
DO NOT OIL THE FILTER, it is a dry element.

Jerry
Jerry is that procedure in the service manual? I have both the 2012 manual and the flxse3 supplement and i do not see it anywhere.

Coyote.

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 SE Ultra - Buried in the back yard where it belongs.
    • CVO2: Already learned that lesson
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2013, 02:26:18 PM »

From the 2012 Service Manual...

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2013, 02:34:22 PM »

From the 2012 Service Manual...
Thought so, that does me no good, wrong filter... Thanks. I will do like I always have with my K&N and use the kit to wash.

Coyote.

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 SE Ultra - Buried in the back yard where it belongs.
    • CVO2: Already learned that lesson
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2013, 02:43:01 PM »

I think that even though your air cleaner element is slightly different, the maint procedure is the same (unless you have replaced it with a KN element, you should not oil it).

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2013, 02:44:37 PM »

I think that even though your air cleaner element is slightly different, the maint procedure is the same (unless you have replaced it with a KN element, you should not oil it).
Right back where we started now lol  :nixweiss: I have no idea. I guess I need to go pull it apart and look at it.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2013, 03:14:47 PM »

Right back where we started now lol  :nixweiss: I have no idea. I guess I need to go pull it apart and look at it.

Your stock factory air cleaner is a Ventilator.  The maintenance instructions I posted are contained in the instruction sheet for that air cleaner; the element is dry, not oiled, and it is washable.  If you prefer a K&N then either K&N or Harley will sell you one that fits.  HD-0910 is the K&N number.  I assume if you have the correct CVO owners or supplemental shop manual for your bike they should have the instructions there as well.  If not, you can download them from the Harley website.  The file is too large for me to upload the entire thing here, thus I just made an image of the page with the maintenance instructions for my previous post.

Jerry
« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 03:20:35 PM by grc »
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2013, 03:15:33 PM »

Your stock factory air cleaner is a Ventilator.  The maintenance instructions I posted are contained in the instruction sheet for that air cleaner; the element is dry, not oiled, and it is washable.  If you prefer a K&N then either K&N or Harley will sell you one that fits.  HD-0910 is the K&N number.

Jerry
Thanks

Page created in 0.149 seconds with 26 queries.