Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Us vs Canadian Exhaust  (Read 1113 times)

bubtrauma

• Elite CVO Member
Us vs Canadian Exhaust
« on: March 12, 2015, 12:24:13 PM »

Are there Catalytic Converters on the Canadian bikes as well?

Bub

Oh, one more thing is the material that houses the CAT stainless steal.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2015, 12:30:00 PM by bubtrauma »
bend it, chop it, cut it, bang it, weld it and paint it to match........

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: Us vs Canadian Exhaust
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2015, 02:19:30 PM »

The Canadian bikes have the same exhaust system as the US version.  I can't answer your question about the material of the collector; one of the folks who have cut one open should be able to answer your question.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2015, 02:39:41 PM »

Jerry is correct that the HDI (international) bikes have a cat.  There is no difference specified in the service manual between domestic (US) an HDI bikes. The catalytic converter is a metallic weave material with trace amounts of platinum, palladium and rhodium, which help speed chemical reactions and help clean emissions at very high temperatures.    :nervous:

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

CVO2FIXUP

• 1K CVO Member
  • Canada Eh!!!
    • ON

• CVO1: 2010 CVO Ultra Classic Riptide Blue.
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2015, 08:00:16 PM »

That little capped vacuum tube on the throttle body of out bikes is used in California for some emission purpose. The exhausts are the same. In recent years the Canadian Communist government is cracking down hard on loud pipes. Anything aver 90 DB will get you a hefty fine. There are now supper nice little towns in Ontario where you don't dare venture with pipes on your bike. The boys in blue are waiting with sound testing rigs to nail you. What a dam shame. Oh bombastic stereos that rattle your fillings loose are perfectly OK though. Go figure.   
I may be a head of cabbage, but I am ahead of you!!

CVO2FIXUP

• 1K CVO Member
  • Canada Eh!!!
    • ON

• CVO1: 2010 CVO Ultra Classic Riptide Blue.
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2015, 08:01:38 PM »

That little capped vacuum tube on the throttle body of out bikes is used in California for some emission purpose. The exhausts are the same. In recent years the Canadian Communist government is cracking down hard on loud pipes. Anything aver 90 DB will get you a hefty fine. There are now supper nice little towns in Ontario where you don't dare venture with pipes on your bike. The boys in blue are waiting with sound testing rigs to nail you. What a dam shame. Oh bombastic stereos that rattle your fillings loose are perfectly OK though. Go figure.   
I may be a head of cabbage, but I am ahead of you!!

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2015, 09:21:33 PM »

The capped vac port is used for the evaporative emissions system (carbon canister), similar to what's been on all cars for decades.  The fuel system is vented to a carbon canister that absorbs the fumes and then releases them into the intake system when the engine is running.  The bikes that don't have California emissions systems just vent the vapors to the atmosphere, where they help create smog.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Page created in 0.137 seconds with 25 queries.