Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Any idea what this could be?  (Read 2862 times)

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
Any idea what this could be?
« on: December 05, 2014, 07:59:28 AM »

My 06 CVO Ultra started doing something interesting.

When I turn on the ignition, the left turn signal starts flashing. Hitting the left turn signal button does not turn it off. I have to either turn on the right turn signal, then turn it off, or hit both buttons for flashers, then hit them again to turn them off.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Mark

PS, how do I pull codes again? Maybe it's throwing a code.

"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
Re: Any idea what this could be?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2014, 11:01:30 AM »

For '04 and later:

Harley Trouble Codes
The following procedure will instruct in retrieving and clearing ECM Diagnostic Trouble Codes and TSM/TSSM codes thru the Harley guage cluster as well as a list of codes.

1- Turn Ignition switch to OFF & Run/Stop switch is to Run.

2- Push odometer reset button in & hold.

3- Turn ignition switch to Ignition and release the odometer reset button. Background lighting should illuminate, speedometer needle should sweep its full range and indicator lamps (battery, security, low fuel, check engine and cruise) should illuminate. The word “diag” should then appear.

4 - Push the odometer reset button once and you will see the selection menu "PSSPt" with the first P flashing.

5 - Each letter represents an area of the diagnostics module. The module that is flashing is the one you are going to check. To move from one letter (module) to the next, you push the odometer reset button one time. (from P to S to SP to t and back to P, etc.)
P = ECM/ICM (Electronic Control Module) [EFI] / Ignition Control Module [Carbureted])
S = TSM/TSSM (Turn Signal/ Security Module)
SP = speedometer
T = tachometer

6 - To get the DTC within an area of diagnostics, push and hold the odometer reset button in for 5 seconds and release. If there are any DTC’s the code will be displayed or the word “none” will appear if there are no DTC’s. Push the odometer reset button again to view additional codes if they exist.

7 - Record the codes.

8 - If DTC’s are not to be cleared, Press and release the odometer reset button. Part number of module will be displayed.
NOTE: To determine if a code is current or historic, clear the displayed code by pushing in and holding the odometer reset button ( longer than 5 seconds) until 'clear' comes up. Release the odometer reset button. Turn OFF the ignition switch. Run your bike and shut it down then recheck the DTC’s again by repeating steps 1 to 9. If the code is current it will reappear.

9 – Press and release the odometer reset button to continue to the next module.

10 – Turn Ignition switch to OFF.

On models not equipped with a tachometer "No Rsp" will appear when the tachometer identifier is selected.

"No Rsp" (no response) will also appear if the run/off switch is in the off position when doing this procedure.

-------------------------- 

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2014, 02:27:39 PM »

No codes. The left turn signals don't work, but the bulbs do. They flash when arming. Any ideas folks?
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2014, 02:34:21 PM »

This is just a fwiw worth Mark.  A dozen years or so ago messed with a buddy's Road King that behaved similarly.  Too long ago to remember if it was exactly the same.  But it was close.  After a couple hours futzing around finally swapped the TSM and that fixed it.  I do remember it threw codes we could display through the speedo.  On your bike, if it's the same issue, it would be your TSSM but the TSM functions are all rolled up inside the module.

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2014, 09:40:43 PM »

Well after working in the blind, I took the bike to my local independent shop.

I got the bike back and everything works fine.
He has no definitive answer, but gave me what I believe is a good hypothesis.

He put the bike on  the rack, and sure enough it did as expected. Like many of you he thought it might be the left turn signal switch stuck in the "on" position. He took the housing apart and tested the switch, no issues. He pulled all the bulbs and checked it again. When he reinstalled everything, the turn signals worked properly!

It is his assessment that perhaps one of the tiny bulbs on the left rear LED got contaminated with rain water, and sent confusing signals to the TSSM. This in turn knocked everything out of whack. Pulling all the bulbs may have cleared up the TSSM, but he can't say for sure.

So, he swapped the left rear LED with the right rear LED. This way, if the right side starts acting up, we'll know for sure that it was indeed the LED.

As for me, well the next time I ride in the rain, and I do ride in the rain, I'll keep an eye out for it.

I really appreciate all the help guys, but when it comes to electrical gremlins, for my part twas Greek to me.

Also got the oil changed too.

HILLSIDECYCLE.COM

• Banned
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2014, 07:07:01 AM »

I remember that when I pulled the index finger on my Grandfathers right hand, he farted..........

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2014, 07:15:54 AM »

I remember that when I pulled the index finger on my Grandfathers right hand, he farted..........

I think we have the same grandfather.

HILLSIDECYCLE.COM

• Banned
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2014, 08:14:11 AM »

.............no wonder they were always pissed about you not showing at the family reunions.........
Scott

johnsachs

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2014, 06:17:48 PM »

:oops:

Page created in 0.153 seconds with 25 queries.