Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Front end question  (Read 856 times)

SPIDERMAN

Front end question
« on: November 12, 2006, 02:03:49 PM »

OK, here's a weird one. I had a weird low speed shake in the new RG front end on the 2nd trip across the Dragon, so I set about chasing it down . Grover pointed out one of my wheel weights had fallen off which would contribute high speed, but not at low. I told Big D I had heated up my front rotors and one caliper was sticking from taking such a crappy line on the return trip, but it's still doing it. S'anyway, I was wondering if anything in the front end was loose so I [highlight]grabbed hold of the handlebars sitting still in the garage and gave them a violent back and forth shake. [/highlight]Well woah Nelly, the front end had a weird rebound like the front wheel took a minute to catch back up to the rest of the parts. Did the same thing with Beagle's SEUC and got the same reaction. E does not do it. What's up with that. Anyone out there with any comment on this, sure would appreciate understanding what that rebound is and if it needs to have something done about it or is a normal thing.

Thanks

« Last Edit: November 13, 2006, 06:34:20 PM by SPIDERMAN »

erniezap

• Global Moderator
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SEUC - Black/Orange
Re: Front end question
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2006, 10:49:20 AM »

Brian,

Maybe the neck bearings?  If you get the bike rolling at a walking pace and hit the front brake hard, if you feel a "clunk" it most likely is loose neck bearings.  If you don't, I don't know what to tell you.  I know that to test the neck bearing fallaway, the book says that the radio has to come out, and that wires and cables need to be disconnected and removed from the fairing before doing the test per the book.  HD is supposed to check that at each 5 or 10k service (don't remember which) but we both know that they don't take things apart and actually do it...
2012 Black/Orange SEUC

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2006, 06:33:46 PM »

Ernie,
        Bike's brand new. Neck bearings are good fallaway is as it should be, no clunk. Try doing what I said to your bike and tell me what it does

B B

bobsiefert

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2006, 09:45:50 PM »

Check the tire pressure, the tire may be cupped and to needs to heat up to gain trackson.

erniezap

• Global Moderator
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SEUC - Black/Orange
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2006, 11:56:57 PM »

Ernie,

2012 Black/Orange SEUC

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2006, 06:35:12 PM »

Mine doesn't do it.

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE
    • CVO3: 2002 FXDWG3
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2007, 10:47:37 AM »

Elvis doesn't do it either, but Beagle's SEEG does. Could this be part of why some bike's have high speed wobble issues and other's don't. In any event, I told the dealer about it and I am scheduled for a warranty appointment next week. Thanks for checking for me Ernie.

B B

Big B, did you ever get a resolution to this, serrk3 is having a front end clunk, could it be the same noise?

http://flhrsei.org/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?num=1167993612/0
« Last Edit: January 05, 2007, 10:48:27 AM by Rjob749 »

djkak

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2007, 01:38:11 PM »

Spiderman,

There are a couple of things that I can think of that would result in some

Page created in 0.135 seconds with 25 queries.