Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Security and check engine light have come on two days in a row. Help!  (Read 3398 times)

chipsabiker

• CVO1: 2015 Street Glide Blue/Lava
    • CVO2: 2009 Road Glide Orange (sold)

Have a new 2015 CVO Street Glide with 700 miles. The red light on the speedo came on yesterday indicating a fault in the security system about 30 minutes into a ride.  Then a couple min later the check engine light came on. Stoped the bike, nothing seemed amiss, no bad smells, no leaks, engine temp and oil pressure were normal. When I restarted the bike, the security light was the only one to come back on.

Today, before my ride I pulled the main fuse to reset things.  Then started it up; everything's fine, neither light on. But same as yesterday, 30 or 40 minutes into the ride, security light comes on. Then later the check engine comes on again. Both stay on.

I'm on vacation in Sarasota Florida. (hauled my bike here in the back of my toy hauler) I'll take it in to the dealer when I get home. Until then, if anyone has any ideas, I'm all ears!

Thanks in advance

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: Security and check engine light have come on two days in a row. Help!
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2015, 08:49:40 AM »

You need to check the DTC's (Diagnostic Trouble Codes), which will point you in the right direction.  I'd suggest riding by one of the local dealerships and asking them to check it out for you.  Any Harley dealer is supposed to assist with warranty issues, not just the place where you bought the bike.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2015, 01:00:38 PM »

Four dealers within a few minutes of Sarasota, Why not try one of them? One of them right in Sarasota on Cattleman Rd a couple hundred yards south of University Pkwy.

chipsabiker

• CVO1: 2015 Street Glide Blue/Lava
    • CVO2: 2009 Road Glide Orange (sold)
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2015, 09:57:25 PM »

Well I took my bike in today to Manatee River Harley Davidson in Bradenton Florida.  Turns out it was a defective brake light switch at the front brake lever.  I didn't notice that the brake lights were on constantly.

Turns out the ECM does not like to see the brakes on constantly and will eventually throw a code and the check engine light as well as the security system light will appear.

BTW One other code showed up. They said my rear speaker amp was unable to communicate with my infotainment system, and that they weren't able to fully diagnose and fix that without me leaving the bike. However when they brought the bike around to me they said the tech noticed the connection at the saddlebag was connected but not fully seated. I hadn't noticed any problems however I haven't really blasted the sound system yet.

Thanks for the advice. I've still got a couple more warm days of fun in the sun in Florida before heading back to the frigid salt strewn streets of Maryland.

By the way, I was very impressed with Manatee HD. They got me in and out in about 2 hours.

North Georgia Hawg

• HoneyBadger Don't Give a CHIT...
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • I HATE WINTER!!!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
    • CVO2: 2009 Chevy Avalanche LTZ Inferno Orange
    • CVO3: 2001 Ebbtide Mystique 2300: 8-ch 2000 watt audio system, two 12" Kicker subs
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2015, 10:08:09 PM »

Good news! Glad you got it sorted out and fixed quickly.

Ken

HoneyBadger Don't Care...

TD AK-20s | Drago's S/C/S-4 | SE 259Es | Feuling 8015/7060/Rods | Black Ops Lifters
Cometics | Big Sucker 2 | Energy One +1 Clutch Pack | Hayden BT07 | ClutchWIZ
WPW Fans | TL P7 LEDs/Aux | Dynamic Ringz | Tour Pak | WO 575s | RT 665
Corbin DualTour | BAH Flush Front Axle | Chrome Calipers
The Wizard's Tune

Page created in 0.266 seconds with 25 queries.