Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Help 103 upgrades (new member)  (Read 6210 times)

DavRex

• FLHRSEI.ORG
Help 103 upgrades (new member)
« on: January 01, 2007, 05:16:31 PM »

Hi everyone I think you have a great site. I own a 05 Screamin Eagle FatBoy w/103. The only mods so far are a Screamin eagle Race Tuner and Rinehart 2 into 1 exhaust. I'm not happy with the performance at all. I was told to go with a gear drive kit and a S&S 625G cam. After I made the purchase now I find out I should have gone with the 585 cam. I'm really sick of all of these shops trying to make a quick buck, so I would like the opinions of some fellow riders. I normally ride between 2K-4K RPM so I'm looking for low and mid range. I've been told that I have to change the heads and increase the compression to atleast 10-1. What would this do to engine life? I only want to spend about 2,000 including the labor on any upgrades. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Dave

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
Re: Help 103 upgrades (new member)
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2007, 05:21:26 PM »

Dave,
If you're still running the stock heads/pistons on your scooter you need to check out the Zippers or Freedom Cycles bolt in packages. You can find information for both of these on the following threads.

REDSHIFT 575 CAMS & OTHER PRETTY PARTS (Zippers)

Freedom Cycles "Secret" FCC9 Cam Dyno

[smiley=pumpkin.gif]
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 [smiley=fireman.gif]
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2007, 05:55:21 PM »

Hi everyone I think you have a great site. I own a 05 Screamin Eagle FatBoy w/103. The only mods so far are a Screamin eagle Race Tuner and Rinehart 2 into 1 exhaust. I'm not happy with the performance at all. I was told to go with a gear drive kit and a S&S 625G cam. After I made the purchase now I find out I should have gone with the 585 cam. I'm really sick of all of these shops trying to make a quick buck, so I would like the opinions of some fellow riders. I normally ride between 2K-4K RPM so I'm looking for low and mid range. I've been told that I have to change the heads and increase the compression to atleast 10-1. What would this do to engine life? I only want to spend about 2,000 including the labor on any upgrades. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Dave

Dave,
  Welcome to the Site!  I wasted some money too, but we all have.  You'll find a wrench somewhere, if you look and listen, that you can trust.  Did RINEHART finally get those 2 into 1 for Big Motors on the market?  If not, there's one of your problems.  Fired00d gave you some solid advice on where to shop, but I don't know if $2000.00, will take you where you want to go.  As far as changing, or working your current Heads, to achieve the desired result, any major modification reduces Engine life.  Good Luck!  Later--HUBBARD  
2012 FLHTCUSE7  (Electric Orange/Black)  Built Motor (124), D&D "Borzilla" Exhaust, Tilley/K&N Air Induction,
"National President"-"Hillbilly Rocket Riders", MC, Mother Chapter, WV
"National President"-"W.H.O.R.E", TPT, WV Chapter

DavRex

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2007, 09:27:14 PM »

Thanks Guys! What do you mean about the Rineharts? Can I get away with just doing the gear drives and a cam? And if yes what cam should I use, I already have a S&S gear drive kit.... Thanks

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2007, 09:31:40 PM »

Thanks Guys! What do you mean about the Rineharts? Can I get away with just doing the gear drives and a cam? And if yes what cam should I use, I already have a S&S gear drive kit.... Thanks
Either one of the places I referred to above are bolt in cam packages. If you look at those threads you'll see dyno's from each of the cam packages, and what was installed along w/those packages.

[smiley=pumpkin.gif]
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 [smiley=fireman.gif]
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2007, 09:33:16 PM »

Dvj, read them two threads Fired00d pointed you to.  I have the Zipper's 575 cams and they are the nuts, as far as I'm concerned!  See my sig. (or 'd00d's) for the list of mods and HP/TQ results. [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2007, 11:02:24 PM »

Welcome to the site!

As others have already said go with either the Zippers 575 or the Freedom Cycles FCC cams. They are both bolt in for use with stock heads and you can use the S&S gear drive kit with either. Both produce very similiar results on the 103 motors.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2007, 11:06:45 PM »

Hey Dave, just saying welcome aboard. You can't go wrong with the advice here. Listen to the experts. Good Luck! ;) Hoist!  8-)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

SneakyPete

• 1K CVO Member
  • AKA FGL
    • VA

• CVO1: 2004 SEEG O/B- RIP
    • CVO2: 2009 SERG3 O/B
    • CVO3: 2014 SERK6 O/B
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2007, 02:38:57 PM »

Dave, I installed the Zipper's 575 gear driven cam with S&S gearset, roller rockers, lifters and pushrods.  Also running the Reinhart 2:1 pipes with PC III.  I am getting 101 hp and 102 ft lbs torque which is comparable to the D&D Fatcats with standard baffle.  Note that dyno sheets sent to me by Zipper's actually showed a little lesser performance using the D&D's with big bore baffles, therefore,  I think the 103 is borderline in requiring a larger baffle, but I am waiting for Reinhart to come out with their big bore baffle for this pipe so I can test it out before reaching a conclusion.
Member Hillbilly Rocket Riders MC, Virginia THE FASTEST CHAPTER!

DavRex

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2007, 10:19:03 PM »

Thanks all. I just spoke to a local mechanic he says there is no way I'll get 100 HP without changing the heads. I would love to go all out however money is a issue. If I could get away with a gear drive cam I would be very happy. What else would I need to make this work. I have got more help on this site in 1 day then I have from several shops....

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2007, 10:22:57 PM »

Thanks all. I just spoke to a local mechanic he says there is no way I'll get 100 HP without changing the heads. I would love to go all out however money is a issue. If I could get away with a gear drive cam I would be very happy. What else would I need to make this work. I have got more help on this site in 1 day then I have from several shops....

Sorry to tell you, but your search for a good shop needs to be ongoing.  I have stock heads and am laying down in excess of 100HP and 115 TQ, as are other members on the site with the 103-specific bolt-in cams from Zipper's or Freedom.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2007, 10:24:01 PM »

Hate to keep sounding like a broken record, but if you go thru the threads I posted above you will see dyno sheets where members are getting close (mines was 98hp/108tq) to or higher then 100hp. So that number can be reached w/o head work w/the cam packages in those two posts.

[smiley=pumpkin.gif]
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 [smiley=fireman.gif]
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2007, 10:26:41 PM »

DV, your mechanic is simply mistaken.  Likely not out of malice or an attempt to sell cylinder heads; just may not have tried some of the combinations others have.

My own saw 104 ft pds torque and 99 hp with just pipes, air cleaner and a good Power Commander tune.  It saw 108 tq and (I think it was) 104 hp with a cam change that had the more important benefit of bringing the power in much sooner.  Several around here have had numbers a little better than mine got too.  So the 100/100 range has been commonly achieved without doing anything more than changing pipes, air cleaner and getting a [highlight]good [/highlight]dyno tune.

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2007, 11:08:34 PM »

DV, your mechanic is simply mistaken.  Likely not out of malice or an attempt to sell cylinder heads; just may not have tried some of the combinations others have.

My own saw 104 ft pds torque and 99 hp with just pipes, air cleaner and a good Power Commander tune.  It saw 108 tq and (I think it was) 104 hp with a cam change that had the more important benefit of bringing the power in much sooner.  Several around here have had numbers a little better than mine got too.  So the 100/100 range has been commonly achieved without doing anything more than changing pipes, air cleaner and getting a [highlight]good [/highlight]dyno tune.

Yep; Mistaken for sure, There many people here that have better than 110/100 with just pipes AC and a GOOD tune. From shops all around the country with varying combinations of parts. Check out the dyno thread here: http://flhrsei.org/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?num=1072508181

erniezap

• Global Moderator
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SEUC - Black/Orange
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2007, 12:01:28 AM »

Air cleaner, Thunderheaders, Power Commander, and Freedom Cams: 104 HP, 116 Ft Lbs.  Heads have never been off of the bike...
« Last Edit: January 03, 2007, 12:03:08 AM by erniezap »
2012 Black/Orange SEUC
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.19 seconds with 25 queries.