Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Author Topic: 110 Rebuild Advice Please  (Read 12491 times)

GMR-PERFORMANCE

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
    • TX

Re: 110 Rebuild Advice Please
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2015, 06:02:55 PM »

Well maybe you can hitch a ride with the other AB boys that are coming down to pick up there 113 bikes..  :)
2012 SHARK  S&S 124 150/140   www.gmrperformance.com

INDEPENDENT_1

• Superior Performance
  • Vendor
  • Senior CVO Member
  • independentmcshop.com
    • independentmcshop.com
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2015, 02:20:31 AM »

It definitely needs a tear down. If you dont want to do the work yourself, Its a long days drive for you but JARZ Performance is very capable of makin' er rip. Talk to Lee or Ben and tell them I said hello. They are great guys and very capable of handling the task. 
Specializing in American V-Twin and Authorized Factory Pro 4 Gas Dyno Tuning!

independentmcshop.com

HILLSIDECYCLE.COM

• Banned
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2015, 07:24:51 AM »

Jarz Performace, was the very first shop around to take a 95" T/C and run up over 130hp..............with a Wood 9B.
Best we ever saw here was right around 124 hp with the semi/same combo.
That local 95" bike was one of the reasons that one of the local dealerships stopped having a "dyno gypsy" come over to showcase that dealership.......matter of fact one year, our clients took the Iron XL Class, 80" Evo Class, and the T/C Class, and that was the end of that................ :D :D
Hilarious!!
Scott

Ridgerunr

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TN

« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2015, 08:00:15 AM »

"Jarz Performace, was the very first shop around to take a 95" T/C and run up over 130hp"

Was it on Joe's dyno?
2004 Roadglide 113" (sold)
2014 CVO RoadKing
2015 RGS

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2015, 10:12:58 AM »

Jarz are in Canada, good shop, and that was many years ago. The bike would have been a 5 speed which would give it a distinct advantage compared to todays higher geared 6 speeds due to parasitic loss. There is one more gear to drag through the gear oil, helical cut gear(s) that generates side loading, bigger/heavier rear tire and wheel ,and heavier compensator setup. Plus Jarz had an older dynojet dyno, a 150, which in the words of Mike Stegman from Latus Motors is "6%" higher reading than what a 250I with the latest software will display. I would consider Mike a very credable source on the topic considering Latus went from a 150 to a 250 and later to a 250I dyno with the respective software upgrades.
cite: Internet, http://www.harley-davidson-forum.net/showthread.php?t=7346, post #2

Consider the 130 number which also was likely displayed with an "STD" correction to be conservatively 15% high compared to the same motor combination in a late model tested on a 250I with the latest software/calibrated and using the defacto correction standard which is SAE.

Back to the topic
Get the motor torn down and measure the cylinders then decide what is the problem and the repair plan. Valves can be leaking also, check there. If more power is the goal that can be accomplished without sacrificing reliability. There are many upgrade parts that can be installed to increase reliability while still increasing performance or just increase the reliability, your call. One of the best shops (with an honest dyno in-house) I have used is Russel at Lonewolf Performance on Vancouver Island.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2015, 10:48:10 AM by HD Street Performance »

HILLSIDECYCLE.COM

• Banned
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2015, 10:18:41 AM »

"Jarz Performace, was the very first shop around to take a 95" T/C and run up over 130hp"

Was it on Joe's dyno?

What?
Why would Jarz's drive accross Canada to www.joescyclerepair.com when they have their own dyno?? Ludicrious.
Dyno evidence of that 95"er can be veiwed on Bob Wood's web site, if at all, whatsoever interested..........

HILLSIDECYCLE.COM

• Banned
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2015, 10:20:25 AM »

Jarz are in Canada, good shop, and that was many years ago. The bike would have been a 5 speed which would give it a distinct advantage compared to todays higher geared 6 speeds due to parasitic loss. There is one more gear to drag through the gear oil, helical cut gear(s) that generates side loading, bigger/heavier rear tire and wheel ,and heavier compensator setup. Plus Jarz had an older dynojet dyno which in the words of Mike Stegman from Latus Motors is "6%" higher reading than what a 250I with the latest software will display. I would consider Mike a very credable source on the topic considering Latus went from a 150 to a 250 and later to a 250I dyno with the respective software upgrades.
cite: Internet, http://www.harley-davidson-forum.net/showthread.php?t=7346, post #2

Consider the 130 number which also was likely displayed with an "STD" correction to be conservatively 15% high compared to the same motor combination in a late model tested on a 250I with the latest software and calibrated using the defacto standard which is SAE correction.

Back to the topic
Get the motor torn down and measure the cylinders then decide what is the problem and the repair plan. Valves can be leaking also, check there. If more power is the goal that can be accomplished without sacrificing reliability. There are many upgrade parts that can be installed to increase reliability while still increasing performance or just increase the reliability, your call. One of the best shops (with an honest dyno in-house) I have used is Russel at Lonewolf Performance on Vancouver Island.

Might want to contact Dynojet about that "info"........

HILLSIDECYCLE.COM

• Banned
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2015, 10:22:04 AM »

Jarz are in Canada, good shop, and that was many years ago. The bike would have been a 5 speed which would give it a distinct advantage compared to todays higher geared 6 speeds due to parasitic loss. There is one more gear to drag through the gear oil, helical cut gear(s) that generates side loading, bigger/heavier rear tire and wheel ,and heavier compensator setup. Plus Jarz had an older dynojet dyno which in the words of Mike Stegman from Latus Motors is "6%" higher reading than what a 250I with the latest software will display. I would consider Mike a very credable source on the topic considering Latus went from a 150 to a 250 and later to a 250I dyno with the respective software upgrades.

Consider the 130 number which also was likely displayed with an "STD" correction to be conservatively 15% high compared to the same motor combination in a late model tested on a 250I with the latest software and calibrated using the defacto standard which is SAE correction.

Back to the topic

..................and the Jarz bike had a set of good Baisley heads on it as well.........you know who they are..............
Our 150 reads lower than Thayers 250i............for what THAT is worth............ :D :D
« Last Edit: February 20, 2015, 10:26:27 AM by HILLSIDECYCLE.COM »

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2015, 10:28:41 AM »

No discredit to you, the shop, or Woods products, just a reality check as to what the same combo would do today. What a consumer would want to know when they look at all the dynos on the internet and compare to this example possibly expecting similar HP/CU. IN.

HILLSIDECYCLE.COM

• Banned
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2015, 10:31:22 AM »

No pony in the race anyway..........

INDEPENDENT_1

• Superior Performance
  • Vendor
  • Senior CVO Member
  • independentmcshop.com
    • independentmcshop.com
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2015, 06:04:16 PM »

Again, to the OP, contact JARZ. Solid, no drama, no BS guys with a reputation that speaks for itself. They have standing records and yes, they know Dan Baisley and Bobby Wood but it has no bearing on anything regarding the service they will offer you. Their reputation and character stands on its own. Talk to Lee or Ben. Both nice guys and they won't try to earn your business by tearing someone else's down. No insinuation of that happening anywhere, just trying to make a point that they will do a great job for you. If it's not a good fit for you, look elsewhere.
Specializing in American V-Twin and Authorized Factory Pro 4 Gas Dyno Tuning!

independentmcshop.com

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2015, 06:30:49 PM »

I lusted after headwork by Dan Baisley for years and Mike Stegman has done work on several of my bikes over the years. Definetely the guy to see if your in the Portland area. I paid nearly $1800 for Pro Street headwork on my 07 CUSE2. Of course that was in the spring of 07 and the old school guys were trying to build the new at the time 110 motors like all the others in the past and quickly found out the old ways had to be modified for these 110s. So Twice the guides and seals failed on the Baisley headwork. I must say Dan is a very nice man to deal with but I was a little worried when he told me both times I carried the heads to him he commented " I have never had this problem" the second time the exhaust valve on the rear cylinder seized in open position. Luckily it must have happened as I was approaching the Dealer so no other damage. Now after lots of trial and error seems the motor gurus have figured out most of the fixes. As in different seals and springs now being used. I must add that both times Dan cleaned the heads and replaced seals and guides which I appreciated very much. Only trouble is the second time was before the new methods that are now used and I have since pulled the 110 and it has been in a box. I don't think I would reinstall the 110 unless I tore it down and addressed the bottom end and update seals,guides and springs to what are being successfully used now.

CVO2FIXUP

• 1K CVO Member
  • Canada Eh!!!
    • ON

• CVO1: 2010 CVO Ultra Classic Riptide Blue.
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2015, 07:33:37 PM »

Before you make a budget and start ripping that pup apart.  Take apart the cam chest and mike that crank. I bet that thing is like 10 though out. If its that bad, then you will know exactly what you are doing next and where your $$ is going to go. 130 hp with a twisted, weak crank is just not right. Check that first, it is the heart of the beast.  Good luck.
I may be a head of cabbage, but I am ahead of you!!

Ridgerunr

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TN

« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2015, 07:47:35 PM »

No slam on anyone, IIRC Joe had a 150 also, why I asked. A few years back reporting uncorrected was not unheard of.
2004 Roadglide 113" (sold)
2014 CVO RoadKing
2015 RGS

jpb

• Full CVO Member
    • MD

« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2015, 08:59:13 AM »

I lusted after headwork by Dan Baisley for years and Mike Stegman has done work on several of my bikes over the years. Definetely the guy to see if your in the Portland area. I paid nearly $1800 for Pro Street headwork on my 07 CUSE2. Of course that was in the spring of 07 and the old school guys were trying to build the new at the time 110 motors like all the others in the past and quickly found out the old ways had to be modified for these 110s. So Twice the guides and seals failed on the Baisley headwork. I must say Dan is a very nice man to deal with but I was a little worried when he told me both times I carried the heads to him he commented " I have never had this problem" the second time the exhaust valve on the rear cylinder seized in open position. Luckily it must have happened as I was approaching the Dealer so no other damage. Now after lots of trial and error seems the motor gurus have figured out most of the fixes. As in different seals and springs now being used. I must add that both times Dan cleaned the heads and replaced seals and guides which I appreciated very much. Only trouble is the second time was before the new methods that are now used and I have since pulled the 110 and it has been in a box. I don't think I would reinstall the 110 unless I tore it down and addressed the bottom end and update seals,guides and springs to what are being successfully used now.

I had the same Pro Street head job done by Dan Baisley as well with the same results as you failed seals on all guides.  They lifted up off of the guides.  Rear exhaust valve stuck at cold start-up one morning and destroyed the Delkin Billet Rocker Support Plate.  Bent the valve stem over above the guide and bent pushrod.  He also commented that they had never seen this before ??????????????????????????????

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Page created in 0.213 seconds with 24 queries.