Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Gas coming out from tank gas cap while riding  (Read 10407 times)

BreakoutOrange

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

Gas coming out from tank gas cap while riding
« on: February 10, 2015, 02:52:22 PM »

Three times now I have had gas leak out from my gas cap on top of the tank of my 2014 BO when I have been at highway speeds. The first time I had overfilled the tank slightly.  When I got to about 55 mph on the highway it started to leak out down the tank and spray me in the chest and beard.  Nothing flowed from any overflow anywhere else when I pulled over or while I was riding.  I pulled over and let her run for about 15 minutes and got going and it didn't spray at me again.  The second time I experienced the same thing but the tank was not over filled but recently filled.  Gas came spraying out of the cap when I reached about 60.  I drove slow for awhile and then opened her up, no further troubles.  The last time was yesterday.  I was traveling about 75 and had to hit the brakes pretty hard and gas came spraying out from the gas cap, in larger volumes than before. 
Anyone else experience this? 
Are there known issues with the gas cap? 

ChopperPilot

• 1K CVO Member
    • MO

• CVO1: 2023 FLHXSE
    • CVO2: 2020 FLHXSE (Sold)
    • CVO3: 2014 FXSBSE (Sold)
Re: Gas coming out from tank gas cap while riding
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2015, 07:55:40 PM »

I have not seen that issue before.
2023 CVO Street Glide
Whiskey Neat
Khrome Werks Duals

2019 Heritage Classic 114 Special
Silver Flux and Black Fuse
Rinehart 2 into 1 Pipe
Screamin' Eagle Super Tuner

2014 CVO Breakout
Hard Candy Sedona Sand and Blaze Orange
Vance & Hines Big Radius 2 into 2 Pipes
Screamin' Eagle Super Tuner

RoadDawg

• RDMC
  • Elite CVO Member
    • SC

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Breakout
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2015, 06:42:56 AM »

I had the same problem last week. Traveling at about 55, gas started spraying out of the cap. I had just filled the tank. I pulled over and found the cap was not turned tight. I pushed down on the cap and turned it just a tad more. Problem solved. That may not be your problem but thought I'd mention it.
Bill - Greenville, South Carolina

2014 CVO Breakout
Hard Candy Sedona Sand & Blaze Orange with Black Abyss Graphics
117 Pro Race Kit
Ward Performance Heads
Bassani ProStreet Turnouts
124 HP 133 TQ

BDMastiff

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2015, 08:17:26 AM »

I used to ride a Big Dog and had the same problem.  It was only lite drops that hit my face and only at freeway speeds.   I was never able to fix the issue.  Rule #1... Don't smoke while riding.

I hope you fix the problem.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 08:21:39 AM by DipStick »

WildWes72

• Git-R-Done....
  • Full CVO Member
    • TX

• CVO1: CVO Breakout
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2015, 09:01:53 AM »

Three times now I have had gas leak out from my gas cap on top of the tank of my 2014 BO when I have been at highway speeds. The first time I had overfilled the tank slightly.  When I got to about 55 mph on the highway it started to leak out down the tank and spray me in the chest and beard.  Nothing flowed from any overflow anywhere else when I pulled over or while I was riding.  I pulled over and let her run for about 15 minutes and got going and it didn't spray at me again.  The second time I experienced the same thing but the tank was not over filled but recently filled.  Gas came spraying out of the cap when I reached about 60.  I drove slow for awhile and then opened her up, no further troubles.  The last time was yesterday.  I was traveling about 75 and had to hit the brakes pretty hard and gas came spraying out from the gas cap, in larger volumes than before. 
Anyone else experience this? 
Are there known issues with the gas cap?

You might check to see if your vent tubes a clogged or pinched. Fuel build up a little pressure when you ride it. I never had any issues, even when I overfill it a little.
2014 CVO Breakout, Sedona
V&H 2-into-2 BCM Baffels
High Comp 10.5: 259 cam
Dynojet PV/Autotune Pro

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2015, 12:05:03 PM »

The problem has been reported many times before, on more than one model.  This will not happen if the cap is actually seating properly to the filler neck.  There is a vent in the system to relieve excess pressure and even liquid if the tank is too full after it expands, which directs the vapor and any liquid down to the ground.

Either the cap isn't being fully tightened, it is binding in the threads and not allowing the gasket to be compressed at the top of the filler neck, or the cap is just defective.  If you're tightening it properly, then see your dealer.  This is a safety and emissions defect, and Harley has had at least one recall in the past few years for this exact same issue.

Jerry
« Last Edit: February 13, 2015, 02:04:48 PM by grc »
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

BreakoutOrange

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2015, 09:55:00 AM »

I appreciate the feedback. 
I will crank down the cap as much as possible before pushing it down and twisting it flush.  I think I was doing that. 
I will visit the dealership about the gas cap and vent system. 
Thanks! 

panner

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • BC

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2015, 09:07:40 AM »

I had to get a different o ring from a hydraulic shop that had a slightly larger cross section. The cap doesn't sit as flush anymore but doesn't stick out like the fire extinguisher did that you had to carry. Dealer won't help much. I will order a new cap and try that. Very unlikely the vents are plugged. Only one of them vent tubes are actually a vent. The other is cosmetic. By chance do you have a windshield on when the cap leaks?? Windshield may set up different pressures around the tank but regardless, the leap should seal completely.

BreakoutOrange

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2015, 02:51:50 PM »

Yep, I was riding with the windshield on when it happened to me each time.  Since these times I have not filled the take up to within half inch of the lowest part of the opening and am turning the gas cap until it clicks several times before I push it in.  I rubbed some silicon lube on the gasket on the cap too.  No more beard full of gas lately. 

03Lightningrocks

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

• CVO1: 2013 Road King
    • HVAC
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2015, 04:54:47 PM »

Mine has done this a few times. One thing I stopped doing is filling the tank while the bike is on the kick stand. The times I did fill it on the kickstand, the level of the fuel comes up once the bike was upright again. I also have had it happen on very warm days. Fuel expansion once it is in the tank will create a "gusher".

Streetglide1

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MO

• CVO1: 2012 Streetglide
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2015, 04:55:02 PM »

I say its the vent system or a defective cap.

BreakoutOrange

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2015, 05:03:22 PM »

The gas in the tank does seem to rise when you upright the tank after filling when she is on the kick stand.  That is why I have only been filling to half an inch from the lowest point. 
So to fill while not on the kick stand you are filling up while sitting on the bike (since there is no center stand)?

harleychef2011

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

• CVO1: 2014 Road King - Tribal Orange & Galactic Black
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2015, 05:08:15 PM »

I had this problem on my 2010 Road King.  Turns out that it is mostly from over filling the gas tank.  The gas expands in volume with heat, so it would cause an overflow and back pressure when riding.  At least that is what I was told.  I have stopped filling the tank to the brim and it stopped the problem.
2014 CVO Road King
V&H Power Duals
V&H Carbon Fiber Tip Pipes
HD Super Tuner & Dyno - 98.7 HP 112.9TQ
RoadTech 665 GPS
Mucho HD Add-Ons!!!

BreakoutOrange

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2015, 05:11:52 PM »

That is what seems to be the solution for me to, not fill the tank near full.  Sadly I only get about 150 miles a fill up now. 

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2015, 05:37:29 PM »

If the fuel cap gasket is truly sealed to the filler neck, fuel should not spew out of the cap, no matter how full you filled the tank.  There is a venting system that will direct fumes and even liquid fuel away from the rider.  There is either a problem with the gasket not sealing to the filler neck, or the cap is defective.  Trust me folks, there has been at least one recall by Harley in the past for this problem.  Not only is it an emissions defect, but it is a safety defect as well.

You shouldn't overfill the tank of course, but you also should not have to run the tank 3/4 full to avoid a lap full of gasoline while riding.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.16 seconds with 20 queries.