Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Revisiting a discussion on HID options  (Read 4890 times)

mark

Re: Revisiting a discussion on HID options
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2015, 08:34:07 PM »

I installed the DDM Tuning HIDs back in the summer.  35w with 6000k bulbs for lo and hi beam.  Very clear color with a slight blue look.  As previously stated, I had to install a wiring harness from the battery to the HID system to prevent the hi beam from kicking off when I started the bike.  I bought HIDs primarily for daytime visibility...and yes they are noticeable.  You'll get scattered light at night, but now I can see the road ahead. 

Most, if not all HID kits are made for cars (regardless of them being advertised as motorcycle kits).  As such, I had to wrap the fuse assembly on the wiring harness in plastic and tape to ensure the water stayed out.  If buying today, I'd probably go with socalmoto gear kit.

You also asked about heat - yes the headlight gets hot, especially on hi beam with two bulbs illuminated, but I've had no negative results, no melted housing, etc.  I would definitely do HIDs again. 

ultrarider123

« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2015, 10:34:04 AM »

Thanks for the response and info, Mark.  They heat up but anymore than say a standard Halogen?  I'm guessing probably not.

So at this point in the discussion, my mind is firmly set on the HID option offered by socalmotogear.  I'm still leaning toward HID for low and high beam but have some leaning toward the LED high beam after some of the comments.  I'm for sure installing the relay as it looks like this helps upon start-up.

Thanks folks.  As with most all things on this site, great suggestions and discussion.

guitarider

« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2015, 11:00:56 AM »

Haird, I went the low beam HID high beam led and I have had great results.  The added bonus of the High Beam LED is no second ballast and relay to mount.  After reading the above about heat concerns above, I pulled my fairing (also had a gauge bulb out and looked for heat damage.  Found none.  I also had the light adjusted upward a bit (It was pretty far off which leads me too wonder what might have happened to the bike pre-me???

ultrarider123

« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2015, 07:41:20 AM »

As an update to this thread:  I ordered the HID low and HID high kit from socal last night.  Should be in this week and as it will be raining most of this weekend, will spend a goodly amount of time mounting/aiming the new lights.  Will update with pics when completed.  Thanks to all that have responded both in this thread and PMs.  Lots of great help and advice.... :2vrolijk_21:

ultrarider123

« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2015, 03:13:31 PM »

That didn't take long.  Ordered the kit Monday afternoon and it's sitting in my office today.  Spoke with Socal via email a couple times after they emailed me verifying the kit I wanted and what I was installing it on....very nice to do that before shipping it out.

80% chance of rain Saturday so looks like that's the day for the install.  I'll start another thread with information, pictures and such on the install just in case someone else is sitting on the fence to do this.

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2015, 06:07:05 PM »

That didn't take long.  Ordered the kit Monday afternoon and it's sitting in my office today.  Spoke with Socal via email a couple times after they emailed me verifying the kit I wanted and what I was installing it on....very nice to do that before shipping it out.

80% chance of rain Saturday so looks like that's the day for the install.  I'll start another thread with information, pictures and such on the install just in case someone else is sitting on the fence to do this.

Keep us posted  8)

2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High

ultrarider123

« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2015, 10:53:26 PM »

Hey there moderator....please close this thread.  Thank you.  For the before, install and after information on the new low/high HID bulbs, please go here:

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=101591.msg1313547#msg1313547
« Last Edit: April 24, 2015, 10:55:22 PM by Haird »
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.137 seconds with 20 queries.