Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Which cam and lifters 2012 CVO SG  (Read 6619 times)

Royalroadie

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • KS

Which cam and lifters 2012 CVO SG
« on: April 17, 2015, 09:11:59 AM »

As soon as my esp is up I am thinking of changing my cams and lifters to a more reliable set.  I am not chasing HP,  i like the power I have now. I was thinking more along the lines of cooler running engine along with a more dependable outcome.  I do not not want to loose the TQ on the low end if I pick up some more power fine, but that is not my goal, which is long term dependably.  Current I am using V&H X pipe with 4" Reinhardts and a TTS ll.  I would like to do this without breaking the bank.  While I am in there should I upgrade the oil pump?
V&H Power Dual Header
Rinehart 4"

r0de_runr

• Elite CVO Member
  • Officer Scott Noller RIP, 01/04/1989 - 12/28/2017
    • TX

• CVO1: 2019 Ultra Limited 114
    • CVO2: 2022 Heritage 114
    • CVO3: SOLD: 2014 Ultra Limited; SOLD: 2012 CVO Street Glide, SOLD 2016 BMW
    • Wichitagreg
Re: Which cam and lifters 2012 CVO SG
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2015, 09:58:01 AM »

I'm no expert, but if I had it to do over again, I'd have left the SE255 cam in.  Replace the lifters, sure, but I virtually never ride above 4500 rpm.

I do like the dyno chart of my 57H cam, and I did the work myself so not much expense.  But I had a SE255 put into my 09 with a HD Stage 2 103 kit and it wasn't really a bad cam, just hard to start without compression releases. 

If you optimize everything else related to performance like intake and exhaust, and a really really good tune, the SE255 cam is not a bad cam for a touring bike.
Greg
formerly WichitaGreg
Lives in the TX Hill Country
AKA r0de_runr
Explore your VA Benefits:  http://1.usa.gov/1NPzKkM

Gandrtravis

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • AB

• CVO1: 2008 cvo dyna inferno red and desert black sold
    • CVO2: 2014 cvo road king tribal orange and galactic black traded
    • CVO3: 2018 cvo road glide gunship grey
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2015, 10:12:55 AM »

If you really like the low end power the new tts100 cam looks really nice as a bolt in with stock compression the gmr 577 might be a bit less in the 2000s but better up top might wanna do the .030 hg ither way to help the cam perform a bit better. But ither way you won't loose power over the stock 255 in my opinion

Mr D

• 1K CVO Member
    • WI

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2015, 10:25:22 AM »

As soon as my esp is up I am thinking of changing my cams and lifters to a more reliable set.  I am not chasing HP,  i like the power I have now. I was thinking more along the lines of cooler running engine along with a more dependable outcome.  I do not not want to loose the TQ on the low end if I pick up some more power fine, but that is not my goal, which is long term dependably.  Current I am using V&H X pipe with 4" Reinhardts and a TTS ll.  I would like to do this without breaking the bank.  While I am in there should I upgrade the oil pump?

A well tuned 255 stage 1 with a good exhaust, (which you already have)...on an economic stand I've found changing the 255 to another cam without some minor head work, will leave you looking behind to what you had before. Imo & on my wallet, I don't feel just doing a stage 2 is worth the money...... Joe Lyons (builder/tuner) does top notch work @ the dealer below, would be worth the contact.

Rawhide Harley Davidson
725 N Rawhide Road, Olathe, KS 66061
(913) 764-7433
« Last Edit: April 17, 2015, 07:58:30 PM by Mr D »
2014 FLHRSE6 Orange/Black
2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby/Typhoon [Sold]
2007 SEUC2 Red/Blk [Sold]
2006 SEUC Haze/Black [Sold]
2005 SEEG Yellow [Sold]
2003 VRSCA [Sold]
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me"
Phil 4:13

GMR-PERFORMANCE

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2015, 01:03:37 PM »

With a good ex the 255 tuned is a nice cam.. However many times we have seen first hand that a 255 with a not so good ex systems will not be as good as others and with real world engines varying one to the next you can still bolt in a cam and not loose anything down low.

Here is an example of a tuned stage 1 bike.. I think that maybe you could have gotten a few more ftlbs of tq out of it, nothing that I think you would ever feel seat of the pants but on paper you might see it.  92-97 hp and 106-110 tq is the avg of the stage 1 tuned builds so this one falls right into that area

. Point is that set up vs our bolt in cam in this bike is running right with the stock 255 cam down low . This is a true bolt in deal no thinner head gasket etc.. Our cam will only produce more power with additional mods  with mods.  We have sold 300+ 577 cams last year ,... and no one has yet to complain about loss of low end power.

« Last Edit: April 17, 2015, 01:08:48 PM by GMR-PERFORMANCE »
2012 SHARK  S&S 124 150/140   www.gmrperformance.com

HILLSIDECYCLE.COM

• Banned
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2015, 03:28:00 PM »

S&S .570's, establish 10.0 cr, S&S lifters/pushrods.
You'll wonder why they don't come that way.
Pump is fine.
IF, more is wanted, then a S/E or S&S 58mm t/body.
Scott

georgw221

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2015, 06:21:55 PM »

S&S .570's, establish 10.0 cr, S&S lifters/pushrods.
You'll wonder why they don't come that way.
Pump is fine.
IF, more is wanted, then a S/E or S&S 58mm t/body.
Scott

Do you have any Dyno Sheets you could post with this Cam ?

johnsachs

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2015, 06:45:49 PM »

With a good ex the 255 tuned is a nice cam.. However many times we have seen first hand that a 255 with a not so good ex systems will not be as good as others and with real world engines varying one to the next you can still bolt in a cam and not loose anything down low.

Here is an example of a tuned stage 1 bike.. I think that maybe you could have gotten a few more ftlbs of tq out of it, nothing that I think you would ever feel seat of the pants but on paper you might see it.  92-97 hp and 106-110 tq is the avg of the stage 1 tuned builds so this one falls right into that area

. Point is that set up vs our bolt in cam in this bike is running right with the stock 255 cam down low . This is a true bolt in deal no thinner head gasket etc.. Our cam will only produce more power with additional mods  with mods.  We have sold 300+ 577 cams last year ,... and no one has yet to complain about loss of low end power.

I find the 24D cams, with powercell primary pipe to deliver the same power/torque as above. No pms, and more than the CVO cams with no loss of low end torque.
John

GMR-PERFORMANCE

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2015, 02:34:04 PM »

I would suggest that you ditch the 570 idea. It has been proven many times over that there are far better bolt in cams for your application. I would suggest you locate a shop that you plan on dealing with that can show you many options with sheets so you can look at the curves and find one that best fits your riding style.

But hey we only tune 200+ bikes a year , gives you solid data to fall back on. Good luck with the cam swap take your time and choose wisely.

MightyTharg

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Street Glide
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2015, 05:18:57 PM »

I'm already contemplating a cam swap on my new CVO SG - it came down to picking the bones of some threads on this and other forums and then having a chat with an expert.

In my case I've been talking to Fast Lane Head Work about my concerns with the stock 255 cams and how they'd fit (or not) my riding style,  what improvements I'd be looking for with a cam swap and how I could get the best bang for my buck.

Alex at Fast Lane is a good guy who talks common sense, can back up what he says and doesn't try to upsell at every opportunity - just the kind of guy you want to deal with.

So it's come down to Feuling or GMR with a compression bump (milled heads, cometic gasket).  GMR 577 are favourite at the moment (despite being slightly pricier by the time they hit the UK).     

Whilst this started out as a fallback plan in case I really hated the stock cam I'm now thinking I'll just go ahead with the upgrade anyway (even if I'm reasonably happy with the stock performance) - I'm actually quite excited (in a reserved English way of course)

Timbuck2

• AK

• CVO1: 2010 FLHXSE
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2015, 01:48:36 AM »

I was looking for the same thing; something more reliable, cool the bike down, not lose anything on the bottom end, etc.  Did a bit of research and ultimately went with GMR577 cam and lifters.   I actually bought one of his kits.    His cam seemed like a good bolt in product with great reviews and some numbers to back things up, if you want them.   I felt it was cheap insurance to get rid of the questionable HD lifter in my 2010.   I didn't lose any of the low end torque and it comes to life around 2500.  The bike has better throttle response and runs cooler.   Like you, I have the V&H x pipe but with a V&H muffler and SERT.   So far, I'm happy.

And if I ever make it to Texas, I would like to have Steve turn my 110 into a 113 since I already have a number of GMR parts in there.

Tim

GMR-PERFORMANCE

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2015, 08:48:28 AM »

Our 577 cam does NOT  need increase in compression. The sheets posted are stock engines with a cam swap only.  Bolt in that does very well down low and pulls out further with no PMS as many call it.

HILLSIDECYCLE.COM

• Banned
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2015, 10:09:09 AM »

S&S .570.

MightyTharg

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Street Glide
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2015, 11:08:38 AM »

Our 577 cam does NOT  need increase in compression. The sheets posted are stock engines with a cam swap only.  Bolt in that does very well down low and pulls out further with no PMS as many call it.

Sorry - wasn't suggesting that the compression bump was essential.  It's viability as a simple bolt in was what attracted me to the 577 in the first place, but the compression bump isn't going to hurt either. 

GMR-PERFORMANCE

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2015, 05:00:48 PM »

Mighty ..That is correct..

And Since Scott feels the the 570 is the cam , sure would be nice to see several graphs as a direct bolt in only..   Be happy to host them for you Scott and post them up or send you the direct link to post.  As I am sure you have a "client" as you say that you have installed the 570 as a bolt in cam on a stock 110 only that has a dyno sheet .  Sure would be nice for you to show others what you like about it..
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.323 seconds with 24 queries.