Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Author Topic: Option A or B? Opinions welcomed!  (Read 12887 times)

Schnobel

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 aka The Bee
Re: Option A or B? Opinions welcomed!
« Reply #30 on: April 27, 2015, 09:12:41 AM »

I built a 113 and works very well.   I like the 113.  Very smooth running. Mild compression at around 10.5.  Most of my parts came from GMR (I already had a set of cams) and my tune was done a Wide Open Cycles.  I didn't even consider the stock crank as being worth my build, so Steve at GMR had an S&S crank sent to me.  I guess I went with option F.

One last question.  What is this warranty thing everyone is talking about?   :nixweiss:

Chris

If I purchased a complete 124 from S&S it comes with a 2 year warranty verses modifying my own which has none or whatever my indie gives. Also there was reference to if I still had either a factory warranty or the extended service plan it would be void if I modified my motor.

HILLSIDECYCLE.COM

• Banned
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #31 on: April 27, 2015, 10:04:30 AM »

Fellow member, Lever, had his 113"/Wood 8 combo tuned at Valley Racing in Beecher, ILL.
Runs right up at/near 130 hp even with a 30T trans pulley. :)
BTW, we've had clients engines tuned by Doug.........always has seemed to make the folks very happy.
Scott

Ridgerunr

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TN

« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2015, 11:34:09 AM »

"He is THE professor when it comes to the science of fuel airflow, engine dynamics etc. and not just for HD's. In fact he trained the Ducati factory on EFI mapping."

I agree, Doug forgot more than most know. Some of the blow hards on several other forums who are big on theory and small on actual field results give him a rough time. Being the true professional he is, he doesn't get into the sniping.
2004 Roadglide 113" (sold)
2014 CVO RoadKing
2015 RGS

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3
« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2015, 11:48:51 AM »

"He is THE professor when it comes to the science of fuel airflow, engine dynamics etc. and not just for HD's. In fact he trained the Ducati factory on EFI mapping."

I agree, Doug forgot more than most know. Some of the blow hards on several other forums who are big on theory and small on actual field results give him a rough time. Being the true professional he is, he doesn't get into the sniping.
Doug is just a super guy with exceptional talent.

Jesse

2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High

Beak Boater

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 SEUC Progressive Mono Tubes, Klockwerks 8.5; Heads By TMan, Rinehart True duals, TTS Mastertune By Doc's
    • CVO2: 2015 SESG Hard Candy, Crusher Tridents, Fulsac X, TTS Mastertune by Docs Performance
« Reply #34 on: April 27, 2015, 12:50:38 PM »

Having just went through this, I had the luxury of having 2 bikes with 110's in them. A 2010 Ultra and a 2010 Street Glide. Decided to build the SG for a little more Hp. Wanted to stay at 110 ci, having the TMan CVO Thumper kit installed. Heads, 10.5 pistons, TMan did the cylinders, 660SM cams. HPI Throttle body 58 mm, 5.3 injectors and SandS lifters. Full Sac DX pipe and Rinehart slipons. All was progressing fine until we found out the crank had issues. Out that came and Dark Horse did his magic on it. It was assembled and tuned by Doc's Performance in Fl with TTS Mastertune. Bike runs great. Its low end manors around town are acceptable, and it pulls very hard up to 6500 rpm. Made 122 HP and 120 tq.
A few observations that I didn't think about. Valve train noise, 110's are already pretty noisey, some cams add a whole different level of noise to that. So can live with it, some cant. It can be pretty noisy when it gets heated up down in SW FL. Checked all possibilities, its just the nature of the animal with high lift cams.
Heat, not sure if its the 2-1-2 exhaust or the increased compression or both, but a lot more motor heat. Doc is one of the best tuners in the south east, so I am sure its not the tune. Just a lot more heat than the motor with 259E's and 2-2 Vance and Hines Dresser duals. Have the same slipons.
If I was going to put a motor together for a bagger, I would do a milder cam, and bigger cubic inches. You could get the same hp and tq with a mild built 124, or a slightly built 117. You got to cut the cases anyway for both. In my case anyway, might eliminate a little heat, and some valve train noise.
I always have the luxury of getting on the Ultra that is closer to stock and get away from the issues of the higher hp bike. So I don't have to ride the SG everyday that I ride. Like both bikes just my observations.
Yesterday's History, Tomorrow's a Mystery, Live for Today.

CVO2FIXUP

• 1K CVO Member
  • Canada Eh!!!
    • ON

• CVO1: 2010 CVO Ultra Classic Riptide Blue.
« Reply #35 on: April 27, 2015, 10:31:30 PM »

After my engine build ( crank done now at less than one though,  113,,  10.5 comp  s&s 585 cams, ported heads ) bike seems to chew up compensator's like crazy.  I went through 2 last season. Thing bangs lie made under load.  So I was wondering if any of you guys experienced a more rapid comp wear after the builds.   
I may be a head of cabbage, but I am ahead of you!!

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '01 FXDWG2 RED 103 6sp
    • CVO2: '05 FLHTCSE2 CHERRY
    • CVO3: '09 FLTRSE3 YELLOW 117/DD7
« Reply #36 on: April 28, 2015, 12:11:07 AM »

If I purchased a complete 124 from S&S it comes with a 2 year warranty verses modifying my own which has none or whatever my indie gives. Also there was reference to if I still had either a factory warranty or the extended service plan it would be void if I modified my motor.

From my experience ESP is refusing any claims on (internal) motor mods, HD components too.

In my previous post, I was going to suggest a 124 Crate as a plan D or E, but it didn't sound like you would be interested, I see that you've started sliding down "that slippery slope" that has bitten us at one time or another LOL. 

I've posted this many times; "If I'd known that S&S was coming out with a Granite (colored) Crate 124, before we reached the point of no return with the 117, I'd definitely gone 124 Crate!"

Don't get me wrong, the 117 is awesome in every way (16+k so far) we used S&S Crank  .0005 :coolblue:, Lifters & Roller Rockers, but I wouldn't mind having a nationwide warranty and only 1 # to call if any problems arise, no finger pointing... I had a lot of help (cost wise $$$) when having the 117 Built, guys getting the components at cost and doing the labor themselves could not duplicate it for the same $$$.
That being said, I still recommend the S&S 124 Crate! Not for more power. If you have to work the bottom end (crank, Timken, etc...) The 124 LC Crate can be had for about the same $$ as a proper 113 / 117 / 124 Build. Some Builders offer a warranty on their Builds, but S&S has shops in many more places, a consideration if you do much traveling.

CVO2FIXUP asked about the Compensator;
'Have the '13 Comp (the one before the latest version) in the 117, (16+k) no noise, no issues at all so far :nervous:   
« Last Edit: April 28, 2015, 12:21:24 AM by FlaHeatWave »
"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America
« Reply #37 on: April 28, 2015, 12:39:32 AM »

BTW, the S&S 124 has a 1 year warranty not 2. Just bought mine a couple of weeks ago and am currently waiting on it. Not complaining as I'm happy to have the 1 year, just saying.
Alan

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3
« Reply #38 on: April 28, 2015, 06:34:40 AM »

If my engine goes kablooey that granite S&S 124 will be calling my name  :2vrolijk_21:

2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High

Schnobel

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 aka The Bee
« Reply #39 on: April 29, 2015, 09:52:12 PM »

After much contemplation and reading all of the excellent advice, I am going to go Plan A. Do some mild head work, cam and change out the lifters/springs for added durability. If I can get my numbers around what HD Street Performance Dyno sheet has, I will be very happy. I decided that this is a cruiser and not going to try to make it something it isn't. Just want it to be a little more fun to drive and get its big 900lbs ass moving!

Thanks for all of the advice and replies!  :2vrolijk_21:

HILLSIDECYCLE.COM

• Banned
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #40 on: April 30, 2015, 07:07:17 AM »

Shouldn't be a back-breaking task to get there.
Scott
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Page created in 0.199 seconds with 21 queries.