Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Spark plugs  (Read 8179 times)

roadkingray66

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus, Antique Gunstock
Re: Spark plugs
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2015, 01:55:45 PM »

Thank you.

Ridgerunr

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TN

« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2015, 10:48:12 AM »

On the older TC's I ran a V-Rod plug if a slightly colder plug was needed.
2004 Roadglide 113" (sold)
2014 CVO RoadKing
2015 RGS

Texas 103

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • TX

• CVO1: 2016 "RGU"
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2015, 09:35:53 PM »

I will be replacing the plugs this weekend. Is there any benefit in using the Screamin eagle style($18/pr) or better
to stick w/ the HD standard plugs(9/pr). Bike is 2011 CVO Convertible.

Thanks,

Yes there is  a benefit just not for you....HD makes more money!!...Stay with good ole 6R-12's gapped @ .040
Too Much of a good thing is just right !! Then more is always better

bakon

• Elite CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited "Wicked"
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2015, 04:58:42 PM »

good info
Will

DCC

• Junior CVO Member
    • IA

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTKSE3 Stardust Silver Canyon Copper
    • CVO2: 2016 FLHTKSE Phantom Blue Palladium Silver
    • CVO3: 2023 FLTKXSE Dark Platinum
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2015, 12:21:59 PM »

Since no one mentioned it, I'll chime in with my .02 cents.  I replace my plugs annually with the stock ones (they work just fine) as I like to check their condition/appearance.  Sort of like an engine health check.
DCC - 2023 FLTKXSE, 2016 FLHTKSE, 2008 FLHX,

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2015, 03:50:56 PM »

Since no one mentioned it, I'll chime in with my .02 cents.  I replace my plugs annually with the stock ones (they work just fine) as I like to check their condition/appearance.  Sort of like an engine health check.

Do you do the same thing with your four wheeled vehicles?  If not, why are you more concerned about your Harley than your car?  ;D

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2015, 05:27:09 PM »

Do you do the same thing with your four wheeled vehicles?  If not, why are you more concerned about your Harley than your car?  ;D

Jerry

Most cars come anymore with plugs that are supposed to last a gazillion miles Jerry.  It's easy to forget about them.  Also more difficult to access them for many.  Hell, I've had plugs in an aluminum head in a car so long that at a 100,000 when I finally got around to changing them my first concern was whether they'd come out clean.  The other thing, of course, is if I'm out in the boonies somewhere and lose a cylinder on the car I say a few bad words, buy a little more fuel, and drive on home.  Do the same thing on a bike and much more hassle than buying a little extra fuel to make the trip home.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2015, 07:12:29 PM »

Yup.  Unfortunately many of those plugs in aluminum heads in the automotive world did seize and require head removal and repair of the spark plug holes.  One of the downsides of 100,000 mile service intervals.  But considering how deep you have to go to get to them on many/most cars these days, I'd hate to think what a PITA it would be to have to change plugs every 10k miles.  Some transverse engines require removing the intake manifold and many other bits and pieces to change the rear cylinders, and I've actually seen some that were easier to change by dropping the entire subframe out of the car to access the plugs.  And we thought it was bad in the pony car era when you had to remove the front wheels and go through the wheel wells to get to the plugs on a big V-8.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2015, 10:30:20 PM »

Yup.  Unfortunately many of those plugs in aluminum heads in the automotive world did seize and require head removal and repair of the spark plug holes.  One of the downsides of 100,000 mile service intervals.  But considering how deep you have to go to get to them on many/most cars these days, I'd hate to think what a PITA it would be to have to change plugs every 10k miles.  Some transverse engines require removing the intake manifold and many other bits and pieces to change the rear cylinders, and I've actually seen some that were easier to change by dropping the entire subframe out of the car to access the plugs.  And we thought it was bad in the pony car era when you had to remove the front wheels and go through the wheel wells to get to the plugs on a big V-8.

Jerry

Amen to that Jerry.  Will always remember the first time I tried to change plugs on a V8 Monza.  Epithets ran wild.  But that was nothing compared to some of the "regular" service requirements of the vehicles today.  I put plugs and wires on my stupid little Chevy Equinox a few months ago.  Part from above and part from below, repeatedly.  Two hour job for plugs and wires and it, compared to many, an easy one.

grandpadoc

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2000 SERG
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2015, 11:09:27 PM »

I used the fancy plugs and screamin eagle wires last tune up and had to replace everything at about 2K because the bike began running like crap. Before I took it back to the mechanic I simply replaced everything to stock and all my mysterious problems of surging and rough idle and overheating went away. That said, the bike is a 00 and I was dreading the thought that maybe the M&M fuel injection was going out and...game over. I still don't get the cause and effect of this, but it seems that simple is better.

DCC

• Junior CVO Member
    • IA

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTKSE3 Stardust Silver Canyon Copper
    • CVO2: 2016 FLHTKSE Phantom Blue Palladium Silver
    • CVO3: 2023 FLTKXSE Dark Platinum
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2015, 11:07:26 AM »

Most cars come anymore with plugs that are supposed to last a gazillion miles Jerry.  It's easy to forget about them.  Also more difficult to access them for many.  Hell, I've had plugs in an aluminum head in a car so long that at a 100,000 when I finally got around to changing them my first concern was whether they'd come out clean.  The other thing, of course, is if I'm out in the boonies somewhere and lose a cylinder on the car I say a few bad words, buy a little more fuel, and drive on home.  Do the same thing on a bike and much more hassle than buying a little extra fuel to make the trip home.
X2 what he said
DCC - 2023 FLTKXSE, 2016 FLHTKSE, 2008 FLHX,
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.154 seconds with 21 queries.