Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All

Author Topic: jiffy stand  (Read 19510 times)

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Roman Gold/Burnt Emerald
Re: jiffy stand
« Reply #45 on: August 14, 2015, 01:46:49 PM »

looks like you stepped on the extension......
I understand the concept of reality, but find it too confining as a way of life

MrSurly

• Formidable Faux
  • Elite CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #46 on: August 14, 2015, 02:02:26 PM »

Yes. That's pretty much what you have to do to deploy it.
The difference with this one is that it bends really easily.
My other bikes don't do this and I use the same big ol' foot on them .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rhetorical questions, who needs 'em?

2010FLHTCUSE5
Dethroned Garage Queen, Sullied 2013

MrSurly

• Formidable Faux
  • Elite CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #47 on: August 16, 2015, 06:16:59 PM »

After many cycles of bending it finally was breaking off so I made a repair designed to do the job until I pick up a replacement from eBay or similar. The 140 bux from the dealer seems ridiculous. And there are take offs out there, so that's the plan for now.

2010FLHTCUSE5

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

• CVO1: 2011 Slate/Black SERGU** traded
    • CVO2: 2015 Double Blue SERGU
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG Blue
« Reply #48 on: August 16, 2015, 07:34:36 PM »

After many cycles of bending it finally was breaking off so I made a repair designed to do the job until I pick up a replacement from eBay or similar. The 140 bux from the dealer seems ridiculous. And there are take offs out there, so that's the plan for now.

Don't look too bad to me. Put it on and ride it.
PHOTOBUCKET IS HOLDING MY PIX HOSTAGE!!!

dartman

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #49 on: August 17, 2015, 08:26:14 AM »

Nice repair, probably last forever

moscooter

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #50 on: August 17, 2015, 09:24:19 AM »

:cherry:
This whole post reminded me of long ago when I owned a enduro bike (Bultaco).  It had a spring loaded kickstand on the right hand side as I recall.  The way it worked,  was the weight of the bike leaned over kept the stand "down".

If you were working on the left hand side of the bike and happened to pull the bike just the slightest bit toward you,  "bang" the kickstand would fly up and the bike would fall over. :oops:

windjammer

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WI

• CVO1: 2015 FLHTKSE
    • CVO2: 2008 FXSTSSE2 sold
« Reply #51 on: August 17, 2015, 04:52:05 PM »

All this talk of jiffy stands was making me nervous as mine seems to roll forward quite aways before catching to the point of almost no return so today I checked it out on the lift and low and behold the retaining bolt is only finger tight. Has been this way since new 3 months an 9000 miles later lucky I never lost it.

MrSurly

• Formidable Faux
  • Elite CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #52 on: August 18, 2015, 10:05:58 AM »

Thanks! It will be tempting to just leave it rather than springing for the chrome one(!)

It will likely start rusting at some point and then it will have to go, but it fairly blends in for now.

If there were a chrome shop around (they're about all gone these days) I might get it plated and wouldn't need to worry about it ever bending again (it's 1/4" stock).

2010FLHTCUSE5

BluesRunner

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #53 on: October 16, 2015, 10:59:37 PM »

I have an odd issue with the jiffy stand on my 2010 that will require replacing it and I wonder if anyone else has run ito this particular failure.
(for the record, there's no warranty in place; the bike has 25K miles)

The problem with mine is the toe tab that is welded onto the end of the stand. This is the piece that you catch with the sole of your boot to put the stand either out or in. That tab for some reason is *soft* on my Ultra. (note that my ancient Road King has never had this problem) Whenever I use the stand,  the pressure of my foot on it bends the tab down such that it is parallel to the ground when the bike is parked. The tab is supposed to stand up at about a 45* angle. The designed angle matches the profile of the outer primary when the stand is stowed, keeping it tucked close to the bike. The way mine is bent means that when riding it sticks down toward the ground like a curb feeler and it drags all the time. The end of the tab has been ground away a lot.
I can only guess that the heat treating or the cooling after welding was done wrong. I can readily bend the tab up by hand while parked but, of course, it flattens the next time I use it, no matter how careful I might be. Has anyone else had this issue?
Mines doing the exact same thing on my 2015 Limited. The dealers wont do anything about it. I'm gonna have to replace it or fix it like you did.
2011 SERGU
2013 Road King Screamin' Eagle - SOLD

skycat

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com

• CVO1: Silver/Black 2015 Street Glide.
« Reply #54 on: October 17, 2015, 03:05:48 AM »

Yep same issue with my 2015 Street Glide. The bike will roll forward 2-3 inches before it stops, i just don't trust it.
Also the foot lever on my stand will bend easy, the whole stand is a POS. I will have to get my fabricator mate to sort it out before the bike falls over. :nervous:
2015 CVO Street Glide, not as good as it should be, Working on that it just needs time, like a good wine.
2010 Buell 1125R, my favorite blaster.
2003 Harley FXDL 100th Anniversary, a little gem.
1975 Suzuki RE5 Rotary 1200km as new.
2012 Suzuki GSX1250FA the perfect Hack. Awesome Bike

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #55 on: October 17, 2015, 08:31:05 AM »

Mines doing the exact same thing on my 2015 Limited. The dealers wont do anything about it. I'm gonna have to replace it or fix it like you did.

Why won't they take care of it under the factory warranty, and why are you willing to let them blow you off?  Unless you just want to throw away another $150 for something that's clearly a manufacturing defect and let Harley off the hook, I'd suggest you contact the MoCo and stop wasting time with that dealership.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

MrSurly

• Formidable Faux
  • Elite CVO Member
    • TX

jiffy stand
« Reply #56 on: October 17, 2015, 08:39:03 AM »

I would suggest that if you go ahead and "work" it enough it will break off. Bend enough times that it cracks and is just a moment from falling off, ride it to the dealer, park it, break it off and carry it to the service desk.
It will no longer be a "judgement call"

EDIT: They MAY, of course, just echo the fellow at the hardware store, ages ago, when presented with a cleanly snapped boat-winch hook: "you can over-stress anything".

« Last Edit: October 17, 2015, 08:58:02 AM by MrSurly »

2010FLHTCUSE5

ChopperPilot

• 1K CVO Member
    • MO

• CVO1: 2023 FLHXSE
    • CVO2: 2020 FLHXSE (Sold)
    • CVO3: 2014 FXSBSE (Sold)
« Reply #57 on: October 17, 2015, 01:14:59 PM »

I have a 2014 Breakout. If I turn the handlebars to the right the jiffy stand won't hold the bike up. I was polishing the front wheel and had it cocked a little to the right. Stood up, walked back to admire my work, and the bike fell over. Lucky I had a rubber floor mat in my garage. No damage to the bike except the stupid-looking plastic extended license holder broke. Glued it back together. Anyway, if I put the bike on the stand and turn the handlebars to the right I can watch the jiffy stand gradually move back allowing the bike to fall. Does this seem right. My last bike was a wide glide and I could cock the front wheel all the way to the right and shake the bike and it would not fall. But the Wide Glide's jiffy stand is centered on the bike. The Breakout is much more forward and I thought this might be why.
I have done that a few times with no issues, may have to try to see how close it is to falling over.
2023 CVO Street Glide
Whiskey Neat
Khrome Werks Duals

2019 Heritage Classic 114 Special
Silver Flux and Black Fuse
Rinehart 2 into 1 Pipe
Screamin' Eagle Super Tuner

2014 CVO Breakout
Hard Candy Sedona Sand and Blaze Orange
Vance & Hines Big Radius 2 into 2 Pipes
Screamin' Eagle Super Tuner
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All

Page created in 0.161 seconds with 20 queries.