Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 18

Author Topic: Boom 1.19.0 is available  (Read 59431 times)

Saintnick06

Re: Boom 1.19.0 is available
« Reply #210 on: June 21, 2015, 04:04:27 PM »

I believe that you are referring to me about being a software engineer!  I never said that I was, I said that I wrote code and created websites and that I was not computer illiterate!  I installed the new software, rebooted the radio and my AVC control still needs to be reset each time I start my bike! As it was before the download!!!  It did not correct my AVC control!!!!
2017 FLHTKSE
COBRA Power Duals
COBRA RACE PRO SLIP-ON MUFFLERS

HighOnHD

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WA

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE UV Blue/Molten Lava
« Reply #211 on: June 21, 2015, 04:53:41 PM »

I believe that you are referring to me about being a software engineer!  I never said that I was, I said that I wrote code and created websites and that I was not computer illiterate!  I installed the new software, rebooted the radio and my AVC control still needs to be reset each time I start my bike! As it was before the download!!!  It did not correct my AVC control!!!!
I apologize for being harsh, but this thread is just way too long, and filled with the very same repeated issue.

I will try to explain why it is so frustrating. As an analogy it would be like going to the store and purchasing two identical computers and two Microsoft Excel software packages. As long as both computers ( the hardware ) are functioning correctly, I can stake my life on the fact that the Excel software ( or any software for that matter ) will function EXACTLY the same on BOTH computers.

We have the same circumstance here on our bikes. Other's with your exact same model/year (hardware) have downloaded this update and AVC WORKS!!!

It has been mentioned several times throughout this extremely, painfully long thread that if you can not get it to work on the same hardware and you are CERTAIN that the update was INSTALLED correctly, maybe a trip to the dealer would be a good idea.

Again... this has just been a ridiculously long thread with a lot of repetition. But I defy anyone to realistically refute the fact that software is a set of instructions that will ALWAYS do the EXACT same thing on comparable hardware. Sorry but that is the way it is! Period!

Can different user settings come into play? Yes. That has also been considered in this thread... set the unit to default settings. Done. That will remove that as a possibility. AVC works in this upgrade.

Puma

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NJ

• CVO1: 2014 FLHRSE Dragula 2, SESTP, C&C Fastback
« Reply #212 on: June 21, 2015, 08:53:47 PM »

If they ever get that figured out, then maybe they could help Comcast do the same thing with TV stations.  One might think it should be pretty easy these days with the electronics we have, but somehow Comcast can't do it (or more accurately I imagine, they just don't try).

I'm still intrigued by the disparity among users as to if the system works as intended or not.  I can't believe there are that many people who don't know how to set the options, or how to properly download and run the updates.  There has to be something else going on.

Jerry
Verizon Fios just as bad.
2014 CVO Road King: Titianium/Black, Dragula 2 (2-1), SESTP, C&C Fastback

Robmay

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #213 on: June 21, 2015, 09:52:06 PM »

Highonhd,

Just because your bike is flawless doesn't mean everyone else is stupid and doesn't know how to update their radio. You've been pretty brash on this point from my perspective. I know the written word is hard to interpret sometimes but yours seem to be pretty clear. If I'm wrong, I apologize. I don't see what this being a long thread has to do with anything. I think when the majority of folks are still having non working AVC's, there is something wrong. Which I feel is what Jerry was  actually trying to point out....there can't be that many people making mistakes with the download.

Rob

Cat Eye

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE
« Reply #214 on: June 22, 2015, 07:02:22 AM »

I apologize for being harsh, but this thread is just way too long, and filled with the very same repeated issue.

I will try to explain why it is so frustrating. As an analogy it would be like going to the store and purchasing two identical computers and two Microsoft Excel software packages. As long as both computers ( the hardware ) are functioning correctly, I can stake my life on the fact that the Excel software ( or any software for that matter ) will function EXACTLY the same on BOTH computers.

We have the same circumstance here on our bikes. Other's with your exact same model/year (hardware) have downloaded this update and AVC WORKS!!!

It has been mentioned several times throughout this extremely, painfully long thread that if you can not get it to work on the same hardware and you are CERTAIN that the update was INSTALLED correctly, maybe a trip to the dealer would be a good idea.

Again... this has just been a ridiculously long thread with a lot of repetition. But I defy anyone to realistically refute the fact that software is a set of instructions that will ALWAYS do the EXACT same thing on comparable hardware. Sorry but that is the way it is! Period!

Can different user settings come into play? Yes. That has also been considered in this thread... set the unit to default settings. Done. That will remove that as a possibility. AVC works in this upgrade.

Same hardware and same software...but how many different configurations are there in hardware...XM...weather... GPS...CB...Bluetooth..ect?

Then there is the software setting that control how all these programs interact.   This causes different results and crashes.

Snakepit

• Junior CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Limited
« Reply #215 on: June 22, 2015, 08:47:09 AM »

Highonhd,

Just because your bike is flawless doesn't mean everyone else is stupid and doesn't know how to update their radio. You've been pretty brash on this point from my perspective. I know the written word is hard to interpret sometimes but yours seem to be pretty clear. If I'm wrong, I apologize. I don't see what this being a long thread has to do with anything. I think when the majority of folks are still having non working AVC's, there is something wrong. Which I feel is what Jerry was  actually trying to point out....there can't be that many people making mistakes with the download.

Rob
agreed.
Mine does not work over setting 2  (am fine with that btw). I also am not having some other issues people have been reporting. Quite happy with it now. There will be more updates. I've done lots of different software updates on different equipment.
1973 Norton Commando
2015 CVO Limited

Road Dad

• Senior CVO Member
    • MI

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited - 117 CU
« Reply #216 on: June 22, 2015, 11:30:08 AM »

Did my update and everything seems to work just fine. Tried setting 4,and it works okay to. 

agreed.
Mine does not work over setting 2  (am fine with that btw). I also am not having some other issues people have been reporting. Quite happy with it now. There will be more updates. I've done lots of different software updates on different equipment.

HighOnHD

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WA

« Reply #217 on: June 22, 2015, 01:18:05 PM »

Highonhd,

Rob
no you are right. I have been brash. Never said anyone is stupid and never said there is not a problem. I am saying if anyone is having a problem with AVC on any of the bikes that someone has reported that AVC works with this update, then for that bike/year Then the problem is NOT the update itself. Look elsewhere. The point that I can not get across (to some and thus frustrating) is that with all things equal the software won't do something differently for me than you. It will be more fruitful to accept that and adjust settings accordingly, replace the hardware, etc. HD did not put random instructions in the update. I guess I should give it up. I just can not get it across. I'm done.

wolfhd

• CVO1: 2015 fltrseu
« Reply #218 on: June 22, 2015, 10:18:26 PM »

My 15 FLTRSEU has been in the shop 5 times for radio issues.  Got the latest download and my AVC still doesn't work.   Harley customer service told that they will continue to fix it for two years and if I still had problems I could buy an Extended warranty.  The conversation went south pretty quick from there.  I'm pissed .

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #219 on: June 22, 2015, 10:27:02 PM »

My 15 FLTRSEU has been in the shop 5 times for radio issues.  Got the latest download and my AVC still doesn't work.   Harley customer service told that they will continue to fix it for two years and if I still had problems I could buy an Extended warranty.  The conversation went south pretty quick from there.  I'm pissed .

You should be pissed, and I hope you escalate this above the moron you talked to.  Btw, if they never fix it during the warranty period, and you have it documented, they can't just walk away and tell you to buy a service contract.  Like I said, the person you talked to is a moron. 

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

bakon

• Elite CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited "Wicked"
« Reply #220 on: June 23, 2015, 07:56:34 AM »

I did update and although mine seemed to work before, I can say it definitely works at level 3 now. Also noticed some options that I didn't before, background colors, automatic dimming settings, maybe I just didn't see them though....
Will

HighOnHD

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WA

« Reply #221 on: June 23, 2015, 12:18:12 PM »

Highonhd,

Rob
Jerry is an incredible asset to this website, and we are fortunate to have his advice. As far as "I think when the majority of folks are still having non working AVC's..." There are only a handful of owners posting to this thread. Probably half of them say it is working now and the other half says it is not. Now if you take the percentage of this small sampling let's just say there 20 saying it does not work on this thread... if you also say there are several thousand sold out there... the actual percentage is very small in reality.

I recommend and do listen to Jerry's posts and advice, but in this case I have tried to offer my opinion. I am an engineer who has been designing computer based systems and the software to control them going on three decades. I currently work with a group designing hardware and software systems to allow peering into the eye to diagnose different diseases... not just eye diseases. For the most part I am interacting in a high performance fast pace environment with other PHD and MD's. We are constantly going back and forth challenging each other and just don't take offense. Sorry if my discussion on this forum has pissed others off, and I am also sorry it has accomplished only frustrating me!! I do have experience along these lines and also worked my way through school for 8 years as an electronic technician repairing computer systems at the board level. Please realize that I have only been trying to put forward my advice and trying to steer everyone in the right direction. This is the first forum I have bothered to participate in. I have only tried to give back.

It is entirely possible that the system being used to sense speed etc has a lot of error. This probably even includes software/hardware at the ECM?? It may be that the software at either end (ECM, BOOM) could be changed to fix large error tolerances in this expanded hardware/software part of the system. It could be a lot of places. In any case, just blaming it on the update software could likely be a red herring. I'm just trying to put enough info out there for everyone to try and take care of it themselves. Trying to get good service and rely on someone else to take care of it... well that is difficult.

Good luck.

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
« Reply #222 on: June 23, 2015, 05:57:13 PM »

You folks know a lot more about this than myself.

My AVC works since this latest download.

This could be in my head, but I believe the whole radio works better if I turn ignition on and immediately start my bike instead of waiting for the check engine light to go out or waiting for the radio to boot up before starting bike.

FWIW

HighOnHD

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WA

« Reply #223 on: June 23, 2015, 07:21:35 PM »

You folks know a lot more about this than myself.

My AVC works since this latest download.

This could be in my head, but I believe the whole radio works better if I turn ignition on and immediately start my bike instead of waiting for the check engine light to go out or waiting for the radio to boot up before starting bike.

FWIW
Actually Boatman it is entirely possible! I actually expect it to be something like that that does not require changing the update software although could be fixed in software. Who knows. I start my bike right away also, but possibly not always. Something for others to try though!

Robmay

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #224 on: June 23, 2015, 07:32:45 PM »

High,

I understand what you are getting at. I know you are only trying to help. My thought process is this: take the 20 people as an example. Out of that 20 lets say 7 had the dealer do the update. Seven different dealers. The other 13 did it on their own. Thirteen different people using 13 different computers, etc, etc. Seven different dealers and 13 different people can't all be doing it wrong. Are some (including the dealers)? Absolutely. My perception of your opinion is that since half are working and half are not, the half that are not are "wrong" (did something wrong). I just cannot see that logic.

I have a Dodge truck with a fancy radio in it. There is a recall to have it fixed yet mine has never had an issue. Does this mean they are all okay? Does it mean they are all broken? No. It means some of the software/hardware is corrupt/malfunctioning and some are not. I currently have work vehicles with specific problems. No matter how many times they have "repaired" said vehicles, the problem continues. I have 3 of these specific vehicles, 2 have the ongoing problem, one does not. Could it be different components were used between the ones that are broke and the one that is not? Is it possible that Harley used a certain part in some or most of the radios before switching to the same part but a different manufacturer? Maybe this could cause the "some work and some do not" issue. I don't know. I'm just a bug man. The only thing I know for absolute certain is that my dealer updated my radio and the AVC, although better for me, does not operate as it is intended. I'm not worried about it. They'll get it right eventually or like the head leak on my 07, I'll just trade up when they don't/can't and I'm ready.  :drink:

Rob
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 18

Page created in 0.215 seconds with 24 queries.