Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Author Topic: Happy with Thundermax and Auto Tune????  (Read 12370 times)

SPIDERMAN

Re: Happy with Thundermax and Auto Tune????
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2007, 10:35:35 PM »

Please do not think that this post is a diss because it's not, but my question is WHY? As in why did you buy this unit over a SERT. What does this unit do that a SERT dialed in by a knowledgeable tech doesn't ? I've read all of the posts above and I must be missing something, because the adjectives being used tend to be on the mild side. Why am I not seeing any superlatives here ? I've got a SERT and Reinharts on Elvis and I don't get any popping on decel. I get it on LD because LD has stock headpipes which allow cold air to run up the left side on decel. My understanding of that issue is that a properly tuned engine running true duals should not pop on decel. S'anyway, I'm just wondering you know, and seriously hope this post is not offensive.

B B

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2007, 10:53:20 PM »

Please do not think that this post is a diss because it's not, but my question is WHY? As in why did you buy this unit over a SERT. [highlight]What does this unit do that a SERT dialed in by a knowledgeable tech doesn't ?[/highlight] I've read all of the posts above and I must be missing something, because the adjectives being used tend to be on the mild side. Why am I not seeing any superlatives here ? I've got a SERT and Reinharts on Elvis and I don't get any popping on decel. I get it on LD because LD has stock headpipes which allow cold air to run up the left side on decel. My understanding of that issue is that a properly tuned engine running true duals should not pop on decel. S'anyway, I'm just wondering you know, and seriously hope this post is not offensive.

B B

You can let the guys that have it explain how they like it and their reasons why. But from everything I've read about it, the self-tuning feature (auto-tune) seems to be the major reason. You can put a close map in and it will, over time, tune itself, thereby eliminating the need to have a technician tune it. And when you make changes, you just saved another tune. It will continue to self-tune. All my warranty talk aside, that definitely seems like the cat's ass to me and the way to go. If it works right and reliably, all the time. Other than that,regardless of the product you use (PC, SERT, etc.), that product should be based on what your tuner knows and works with for the best tune. That's my understanding without trying to diss or offend you in any way either B B! ;) Hoist! 8-)
« Last Edit: January 20, 2007, 12:58:19 AM by Hoist »
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2007, 02:42:59 AM »

Please do not think that this post is a diss because it's not, but my question is WHY? As in why did you buy this unit over a SERT. What does this unit do that a SERT dialed in by a knowledgeable tech doesn't ? I've read all of the posts above and I must be missing something, because the adjectives being used tend to be on the mild side. Why am I not seeing any superlatives here ? I've got a SERT and Reinharts on Elvis and I don't get any popping on decel. I get it on LD because LD has stock headpipes which allow cold air to run up the left side on decel. My understanding of that issue is that a properly tuned engine running true duals should not pop on decel. S'anyway, I'm just wondering you know, and seriously hope this post is not offensive.

B B

A few things Brian.  I'm accepting now that the unit is accurate.  So it is accurate, all the time, constantly adjusting to be so, under all ambient and environmental circumstances.  That is more than the stock system does.

It adjusts to changes.  So if I get a wild hair to change pipes (as I'll need to in another year or so) the cost of those pipes won't be added on to by a new dyno tune to make sure I'm getting the best use of them.  Put the change on, whatever it might be, go ride the bike a bit, and voila; retuned.  No hundreds of dollars of repetitive dyno time.

To repeat the first one; it is accurate.  Repeated for a different reason though.  I'm lucky to have a great dyno guy right here.  Most aren't though.  We all know how average (at best) most of the tunes are.  This system dials you in without having to worry about it.

There's more to getting it to accomplish all that of course.  But the core of the gain is more measurement and accuracy provided than the stock system can supply and the (almost) automatic ease with which it's gained.  

I may occasionally like to tinker with some occasional minor changes on the bike.  I know, I know, you never touch yours and they stay as bone stock as the day you rode them home.  But I occasionally tinker, just a little bit.  But I'm also appreciative of being lazy when I can get away with it too.  The autotuning capability allows me to be lazy.  I can do the tinkering I might enjoy and the bike will take care of the rest.  

Say, oh, for example, I put a Doherty PowerPacc on some hypothetical orange bike.  I just knew by the feel that it made things better.  But the only way I'd know I was fully taking advantage of how much better it might make things would be to add the cost of a dyno tune on to the cost of the air cleaner.  With this I wouldn't even have to consider it.

FR8TRN

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ya ever take a crap so big your pants fit better??
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2007, 08:54:50 AM »

So far left at the original setting of 13.0:1 across the board.  At that set of settings it got 38-39 mpg.  Before good weather comes back to stay I'm going to change it a bit though.  Will leave it at 13:1 below 2600 and above 3200 for the pass-a-truck effect and any moderate cooling effect idling in warmer weather.  At those highway cruise-control cruise RPMs though I'm going to move it to 13.6-13.7 or somewhere in that range.  See if I really "feel" the difference at all and see if makes any appreciable difference to cruising fuel mileage.

Thats not bad, I got in the low 40's before, so I'll have to see where the default setting takes me in MPG.....seems easy enough to change it if I wanna.  I just want to give it time to work things out before I start making changes.

FR8TRN

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2007, 09:01:29 AM »

B B

What Don said, mostly for me I don't have a tuner around here I'd trust, thats why it was a last minute decision for me, I kept looking for one.  I also switch between my V&H Ovals and Samson Rolled Thunder Ovals, so I'll be optimized no matter which exhaust I'm running.  I have a SERT in the box with my old ECM now, and they'll stay there, cause if I change bikes, this setup is goin with me.  ;D If I don't change bikes I'll be goin to something bigger in a year or two (117" maybe) and this will do it without needing to be Dyno'd.  And as I explained to my wife, it's a safety item!!!  [smiley=jalapeno.gif]

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2007, 01:51:10 PM »

If I don't change bikes I'll be goin to something bigger in a year or two (117" maybe) and this will do it without needing to be Dyno'd.  And as I explained to my wife, it's a safety item!!!  [smiley=jalapeno.gif]

That large of a difference would almost certainly require a change though.  Hit the T-Max website for a base map that is closer to the new starting point and download it.  Then let the system do it's work from those closer starting points.  Just a tiny bit of extra chore, but it's free and still absolutely no work compared to finding a tuner.

I've got the old ECM saved also.  It's in an anti-static bag sealed inside of a ziploc with a little dessicant pouch inside.  Then it's wrapped inside one round of bubble wrap and stuck in the bottom of the left saddlebag underneath all the other stuff that never comes out of that bad.  So it's my backup in case the other system ever craps out on the side of the road someplace.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2007, 01:54:12 PM by twolanerider »

hdnut

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2007, 07:37:08 PM »

My dealer is going to order up a new closed loop system for me Monday[they are a zippers dealer].Sorry but i wont be able to give a update on how it works until April when it warms up around here.But all i need to hear is that Twolane likes it,good enough for me!!!! [smiley=orange.gif] [smiley=pumpkin.gif] [smiley=drink.gif]
hdnut

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2007, 08:14:39 PM »

I'm with you Hdnut.  If it (Tmax w/AT)  satisfies 2Lane, it will satify anybody including me.  I don't mean it in a bad way in saying that.  More of  a complement.

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2007, 08:27:18 PM »

Don,
       Thanks for the detailed explanation. I can see why. Great for those of us who like to try different things. One of the best things I saw in the posts that came after mine explaining things was the one that talked about being able to " take it with you" when you change bikes. That alone makes it worth the high dollar price initially.

B B

hdnut

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2007, 10:30:35 PM »

I liked that too Spider! [smiley=orange.gif]
hdnut

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2007, 12:16:57 AM »

My dealer is going to order up a new closed loop system for me Monday[they are a zippers dealer].Sorry but i wont be able to give a update on how it works until April when it warms up around here.But all i need to hear is that Twolane likes it,good enough for me!!!! [smiley=orange.gif] [smiley=pumpkin.gif] [smiley=drink.gif]

I'm with you Hdnut.  If it (Tmax w/AT)  satisfies 2Lane, it will satify anybody including me.  I don't mean it in a bad way in saying that.  More of  a complement.

Thanks guys.  I enjoy it when a vendor or mftr does a good job.  Will try to as directly as I can offer why that seems so and what the benefits or amusements might be.  Will also try to just as accurately warn when a vendor of mftr seems to have dropped the ball so friends can avoid my mistake.  Sometimes that can mean both praising and questioning the same vendor on their different products.  Truly appreciate the kind words and trust.  Certainly hope you are as pleased with how your systems behave and what they'll do for you as I've been.

FR8TRN

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2007, 07:09:17 PM »

That large of a difference would almost certainly require a change though.  Hit the T-Max website for a base map that is closer to the new starting point and download it.  Then let the system do it's work from those closer starting points.  Just a tiny bit of extra chore, but it's free and still absolutely no work compared to finding a tuner.

I've got the old ECM saved also.  It's in an anti-static bag sealed inside of a ziploc with a little dessicant pouch inside.  Then it's wrapped inside one round of bubble wrap and stuck in the bottom of the left saddlebag underneath all the other stuff that never comes out of that bad.  So it's my backup in case the other system ever craps out on the side of the road someplace.

Yeah I'd have to load another base map, but that 5 minutes wouldn't hurt me near as bad as another $300 Dyno Tune.... ;)

Good idea on stashin it in the bag, might just do that myself, guess I better load that Map you gave me on it first though, wouldn't do much good with the one on it now.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2007, 02:12:23 AM »

Yeah I'd have to load another base map, but that 5 minutes wouldn't hurt me near as bad as another $300 Dyno Tune.... ;)

Good idea on stashin it in the bag, might just do that myself, guess I better load that Map you gave me on it first though, wouldn't do much good with the one on it now.

Definitely would make for a safer trip in.  With the "close enough" map loaded it just seemed silly not to throw it in the saddlebag.  Probably won't ever need it.  But would be sweet to have it with you if you did  [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif] .

FR8TRN

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2007, 03:52:45 PM »

Definitely would make for a safer trip in.  With the "close enough" map loaded it just seemed silly not to throw it in the saddlebag.  Probably won't ever need it.  But would be sweet to have it with you if you did  [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif] .

First on my list to do......soon as I get back from FL. ;)

HDguy

• Junior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2007, 07:28:31 PM »

With the T-Max with auto tune can the dealership still do diagnostic checks, pull trouble codes etc if the check eng. light should come on. I am on the fence about whether to get it or the SERT.
2006 flhtcuse,V@H true duals with classic slash cut mufflers with end caps, slotted six spoke drive sprocket,fuelpak tuner,nav sys,stage 1 intake,chrome inner primary,SE six speed trans,chrome intake backplate.
2005 flstsci,aux lights,se mufflers,sta
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Page created in 0.191 seconds with 20 queries.