Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10  All

Author Topic: I now see why The Motor Company is in trouble  (Read 33528 times)

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
Re: I now see why The Motor Company is in trouble
« Reply #120 on: July 29, 2015, 08:38:19 PM »

Sounds like a real cracker jack outfit there Dawg.  Yup, with dealerships like that, combined with the crap H-D itself does, it is not hard to figure out why some of us don't sing their praises.

Jerry

Candy coated popcorn, peanuts and a prize That's what you get with Harley Davidson!!!!! Jerry a lot of these Dealers are living in the past. They still think it is the hay days of the 1990's.

Be Safe

THE DAWG
cvo 1  04 FLHTCSEI  Qrange/Black AKA Ole Punkin
cvo 2 05 VRSCXe Orange/Black sold
cvo 3 02 FXDWG2 Black/Gold 
cvo 4 04 FLHTCSE Blue/Black  sold
cvo 5 09 FLHTCUSE4 Red/Marron sold
cvo 6 12 FLHTCUSE Blue Saphire/Stardust Silver AKA Saphire
cvo 7 14 FLHTKSE  Blaze/Maroon
2020 CVO Limited

PROUD MEMBER EBCM #1.75 Second in command of this great organization

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #121 on: July 29, 2015, 11:38:12 PM »

I had not touched the bike since I parked it last August 22nd. When I took it to the dealer it was to sell/fix all of the problems. They were told then and a service ticket was written up on the bike. All they did was detail and Maryland State Inspection on the bike. All I could do today was just SMDH!!!!!

Be Safe

THE DAWG

Mike, you best guess?  Did they really just forget or lose track?  Or did they blow it off and hope to pass the problem on to the next guy who would definitely be out of warranty?

smkymtnboy

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • TN

• CVO1: flhxse
    • CVO2: flhtcuse5
    • CVO3: flhtcuse6
« Reply #122 on: July 30, 2015, 12:19:30 AM »

I cannot help but laugh!! this issue has become comical! :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2:  good luck with the repair!

MrSurly

• Formidable Faux
  • Elite CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #123 on: July 30, 2015, 12:42:16 AM »

Well if it was on the service order and they didn't read it, then yeah. Top Notch crew, there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rhetorical questions, who needs 'em?

2010FLHTCUSE5
Dethroned Garage Queen, Sullied 2013

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #124 on: July 30, 2015, 05:19:38 AM »

Mike, you best guess?  Did they really just forget or lose track?  Or did they blow it off and hope to pass the problem on to the next guy who would definitely be out of warranty?

I think the service writer thought because HD didn't want cover the warranty, it wasn't going to be fixed. Even though the bike has ESP!!! I have never had this much trouble getting something fixed before. When I return from Sturgis I am going to bring the bike home and repair it if it has not already been completed and sell it myself.

Be Safe

THE DAWG
2020 CVO Limited

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #125 on: August 03, 2015, 09:12:25 AM »

So I start out for Sturgis on the new SE LIMITED. Nice cool morning and the bike is running great. I go into a downhill turn and let off the throttle. The bike backfires and starts running on 1 cylinder. ARE YOU F$%KING KIDDING ME???? I run another 10 miles before I stop. I figure it just fowled a plug. I pull the plug out of the front cylinder and it looks good. Tried to start it again. It would start and run for a few seconds and then cut off. Well the bike go towed to the dealer. They said it was a bad ECM. They replaced it and tried to marry it to the bike. It wouldn't marry. So 3 ECM's later they got it running. This morning they are going to put it on the dyno and smart tune it. Hopefully I get back on the road sometime today!!! I'm not happy with these new bikes. I sure am glad I still have Ole Punkin! So I am soooooo glad I have a warranty on this bike!!!!

Be Safe

THE DAWG
2020 CVO Limited

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

smkymtnboy

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • TN

• CVO1: flhxse
    • CVO2: flhtcuse5
    • CVO3: flhtcuse6
« Reply #126 on: August 03, 2015, 09:18:57 AM »

DANG! I sure hope the rest of the trip goes better!! glad to hear you are back on the road again. good luck sir! :2vrolijk_21:

J-Carr

• Got to keep the Loonies on the path
  • Elite CVO Member
  • SoA#911.2

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE
« Reply #127 on: August 03, 2015, 09:37:10 AM »

Good luck Dawg.  In comment to your not trusting these new bikes:

Discussing the rumored '16 Road Glide Ultra vs. the CVO RG this weekend and one of "my crew" of riding buddies absolutely refuses to even consider a CVO because of all the problems EVERYONE we know whose bought one has had.  Like breakdown stranded on a trip problems.  And many of them are repeated.  As in not fixed or the fixed part breaks like the original.  I'm sure many have bought trouble free CVOs.  But the people we know personally who own them have ALL had major issues.  5 owners, 4 of which are owners of new (2014 - 2015) models.

I've all but decided to never buy another CVO myself.

I have an '08 CUSE3.  Its been reliable but still has had major engine work (cams, lifter, etc at 40k) repairs, the major recall for leakage issues that we experienced back then, 4 radios (about to be 5), throttle issue, and of course the compensator.  Now with almost 90k on it, which is more likely to make it across the country when my kid gets stationed out west?  A 10 year old 100k bike or a brand new bike from a QC department run by squirrels who couldn't find a nut in a planters peanut factory.   :nervous:

Fugly or not... You have to start thinking about Polaris as a better company if you care about mechanical design, reliability and Quality Control.  The Indian's might not be everyone's cup of tea, but the victory cross roads is not a bad looking bike and I haven't heard much negative about them.

Donny Pederson had an interesting mechanical engineering perspective piece in AIM last month.  Can't find much in that article to make me feel good about the MoCo... And he's a Harley guy!

PS.  For the Harley sycophants out there... let me save you the reply.  Peanuts are a legume.  Not a nut.  So it may be difficult for a squirrel to find a nut in a peanut factory.  Which is exactly the kind of nit picking the Harley sycophants seem to love to do these days while making excuses for a failed product that we all loved at one point in our lives.

Me, Screamin' Nemo and The Kid.

MrSurly

• Formidable Faux
  • Elite CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #128 on: August 03, 2015, 11:51:35 AM »

Good grief, Dawg!

I'm reminded of that song from HeeHaw!

I certainly hope they get it sorted and you back on the road!
Rhetorical questions, who needs 'em?

2010FLHTCUSE5
Dethroned Garage Queen, Sullied 2013

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #129 on: August 03, 2015, 12:06:46 PM »

So 3 ECM's later they got it running.

Damn Mike, if it didn't run until it's fourth total ECM install, and you know it's just not likely they had the original and two more new ones in a row all bad, you can't help but wonder what else is going on.  Is something eating the ECM or was the shop doing something wrong on the new installs?

Hope this issue is behind you man.  But until you've got problem in your rear view for about three tank fulls I'd keep on worrying.  Good luck Mike  :2vrolijk_21: .

J-Carr

• Got to keep the Loonies on the path
  • Elite CVO Member
  • SoA#911.2

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE
« Reply #130 on: August 03, 2015, 12:37:25 PM »

I could be dead wrong (odds are good I am, as usual!)  but I heard from someone that they've been having problems with getting a new ECM to marry to the bike.  It's not a bad ECM, it's something in HDs security setup so you can't buy their ECMs and make a knockoff bike cheaper with a genuine HD motor and computer.  On this it appears they did too good a job.  It works so well you can't even get it to talk to an actual Harley.  Because of this, shops are stocking extra ECMs so they can try until they succeed.  Someone else told me its just that the process is complicated and if you don't follow it correctly it locks it out.

I'd like to know if either of those stories has some truth.

Me, Screamin' Nemo and The Kid.

Keats

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Do not be led astray

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: 2003 FXSTDSEI
« Reply #131 on: August 03, 2015, 06:54:06 PM »

Mike,  at the risk of you putting me in time out, and mainly because I do not want this thread to end.

Tell me this was about $50.00?

OK I got it, there are principles involved, but for less than one nights bar tab?

I have an idea, if we can fund some other ventures, I suggest we crowd fund Mike's deductible.

We just need 10 people to pledge $5.00/each.

I am willing to be the first pledge if you all tell me this thread will live on.

I will call it "Save the Dawg" campaign

1. Jeff

« Last Edit: August 03, 2015, 06:57:09 PM by Keats »
Formally FLHTCUSE3
SoA #99.9            "Never say Die"
SEST,   open A/C , dyno tuned, D&D Fatcats 2 into 1 ceramic coated, new SE CNC Ported and coated Heads with 2.120 intake valve, SE camplate,
Jims SE Crank "Darkhorsed", Timkin conversion, Andrews 54H cams, Arnott Air shocks, intimidator front valves, HID headlights, LED turn signals, Moto Lights,  Zumo 550, SE compensator.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #132 on: August 03, 2015, 07:07:03 PM »

And people still want to argue with me when I comment on the sorry state of the average Harley dealership's service department.

How much does anyone want to bet that none of the ECM's were the problem, including the original?  And even if the original did fail, which is an extremely rare occurrence, how many believe that there would be two more defective ECM's just waiting in the pipeline for Dawg to show up?  The odds would be much better for him to hit the Powerball.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #133 on: August 14, 2015, 10:03:17 PM »

Well I have made it back from Sturgis. The new bike was GREAT the entire trip. I did talk to my BEST FRIEND ( who is on this board) who is a Master Tech. He told me to look for the ECM to go out again. He said it may have something to do with the BCM and it should have been replaced at the same time. Oh well. He also told me that Harley has recalled the recall on the saddle bags. It appears the fix didn't fix the problem. I had the recall done and now I am just going to install my new bagger bolts and be done with it!!!!

Be Safe

THE DAWG
2020 CVO Limited

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #134 on: August 14, 2015, 10:06:24 PM »

I could be dead wrong (odds are good I am, as usual!)  but I heard from someone that they've been having problems with getting a new ECM to marry to the bike.  It's not a bad ECM, it's something in HDs security setup so you can't buy their ECMs and make a knockoff bike cheaper with a genuine HD motor and computer.  On this it appears they did too good a job.  It works so well you can't even get it to talk to an actual Harley.  Because of this, shops are stocking extra ECMs so they can try until they succeed.  Someone else told me its just that the process is complicated and if you don't follow it correctly it locks it out.

I'd like to know if either of those stories has some truth.

You heard some truth. The BCM may be the problem. Body Control Module!!!!!I was lucky when my ECM went out the dealer had more then 5 in stock. So I did in fact make my trip to Sturgis!!!!

Be Safe

THE DAWG
2020 CVO Limited

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10  All

Page created in 0.184 seconds with 21 queries.