Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Whole in the case  (Read 5616 times)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: Whole in the case
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2015, 03:30:08 PM »

Understand this might be rubbing salt in the proverbial wound but did you (or could you) take a pic of the hole?  Also interested in where in the engine cases the hole is located.

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2015, 04:11:36 PM »

I suggest you move on to Plan "B" and "C".

Option 1. See if the dealer will ship your motor back to the Harley engine manufacturing area.

They can do a rebuild at possibly a reasonable price.  Warranty is provided in the US but your local dealer would have to see if it would apply.

Option 2. Get your dealer to order you a new motor  $5-6k US.  It would come with a warranty.

Yes I know you could have the dealer split the cases and go through all of the parts to save the good from the bad and build you a new motor by replacing only what they see a damaged. But the cost would be real close to buying a new motor.

Best of luck in your decision.

Jerry

If this is a 110 motor. The 110 motor does not qualify for the rebuild program any more from Harley. Something the Motor Company penny pinchers decided was not in the best interest.

Be Safe

THE DAWG
cvo 1  04 FLHTCSEI  Qrange/Black AKA Ole Punkin
cvo 2 05 VRSCXe Orange/Black sold
cvo 3 02 FXDWG2 Black/Gold 
cvo 4 04 FLHTCSE Blue/Black  sold
cvo 5 09 FLHTCUSE4 Red/Marron sold
cvo 6 12 FLHTCUSE Blue Saphire/Stardust Silver AKA Saphire
cvo 7 14 FLHTKSE  Blaze/Maroon
2020 CVO Limited

PROUD MEMBER EBCM #1.75 Second in command of this great organization

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

HebrewHarley

• Banned
  • Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com

« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2015, 04:37:14 PM »

Understand this might be rubbing salt in the proverbial wound but did you (or could you) take a pic of the hole?  Also interested in where in the engine cases the hole is located.

Not a problem. I did not take a photo of the hole, but I can and will have the dealership take a photo for you.

Road Dad

• Senior CVO Member
    • MI

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited - 117 CU
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2015, 06:07:56 PM »

I agree 100% with you. There is no excuse for the poor quality. I was just responding to the difficulty in getting warranty paid out for this.

Thank you for taking the time to write. I had to register the motorcycle in Israel, as it is the law.

For me, I am very fortunate that I can repair the bike at whatever price it may be. However, I am of the opinion that a mechanical failure at 2000 KM is unacceptable. This is supposed to be a premium version, and premium motorcycles should not fail when brand new in a catastrophic way. I can not be the only one this has happened to, could I?

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2015, 06:55:17 PM »

Not a problem. I did not take a photo of the hole, but I can and will have the dealership take a photo for you.

Only if it's convenient and won't in any way make things more difficult for you with the dealership.   The thought in asking was the location, size and perhaps even shape of the damage might be in some way suggestive of what happened.

HebrewHarley

• Banned
  • Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com

« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2015, 03:54:47 PM »

I spoke to the dealership today via telephone. I am not exactly sure how to translate what they said, but I believe what they said would translate to a piston rod penetrated in the case causing the hole. Does that make some sense? And, what causes this? Defect I suppose?

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2015, 04:16:31 PM »

I spoke to the dealership today via telephone. I am not exactly sure how to translate what they said, but I believe what they said would translate to a piston rod penetrated in the case causing the hole. Does that make some sense? And, what causes this? Defect I suppose?

It make sense that a piston rod could make a hole in an engine case, but it would be incredibly rare to have it happen.  I've actually never seen (or heard of) a similar catastrophic bottom end engine failure in a Twin Cam motor.  There most certainly has to have been a manufacturing error or part failure to cause such an event.  As Twolanerider mentioned, I'd really like to see photos if it's at all possible.
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2015, 05:16:29 PM »

Possible?  Yes.  But have never seen nor even of it heard of it actually happen in a Twin Cam engine.  It's even a little difficult to build a mental image of the mechanical system failing so catastrophically that a Twin Cam would actually "throw" a rod.

« Last Edit: July 13, 2015, 05:21:49 PM by Twolanerider »

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2015, 05:21:28 PM »

It make sense that a piston rod could make a hole in an engine case, but it would be incredibly rare to have it happen.  I've actually never seen (or heard of) a similar catastrophic bottom end engine failure in a Twin Cam motor.  There most certainly has to have been a manufacturing error or part failure to cause such an event.  As Twolanerider mentioned, I'd really like to see photos if it's at all possible.

Maybe it's not the bottom of the cases that are holed Scott?  Or maybe the failure wasn't at the bottom end?  While I've never actually seen this either I could more easily visualize a piston coming apart and the top end of a rod coming loose than I could an entire bottom end so totally coming apart.

To our Hebrew friend here, pardon the morbid curiosity over your engine's failure.  It is with only the best of intentions that our interest is aroused over such an unusual incident.

East Coast

• Elite CVO Member
    • NY

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 Black Diamond/Crimson - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE Hard Candy / Smokey Quartz - SOLD
    • CVO3: 2024 FLTRXSTSE Golden White Pearl
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2015, 06:33:50 PM »

Sorry to hear of your motor failure. I'm curious as to the year and model of the bike.

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2015, 06:41:20 PM »

Maybe it's not the bottom of the cases that are holed Scott?  Or maybe the failure wasn't at the bottom end?  While I've never actually seen this either I could more easily visualize a piston coming apart and the top end of a rod coming loose than I could an entire bottom end so totally coming apart.

To our Hebrew friend here, pardon the morbid curiosity over your engine's failure.  It is with only the best of intentions that our interest is aroused over such an unusual incident.

Regardless of the cause of the failure, with only 1200 miles on the motorcycle, it would be very unfortunate if the MOCO isn't financially involved in the repair... 

2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2015, 07:18:33 PM »

Regardless of the cause of the failure, with only 1200 miles on the motorcycle, it would be very unfortunate if the MOCO isn't financially involved in the repair...

Of course.  And everyone behind the handlebars would agree.  But.....  The company is so strident on grey market product handling and so upfront about it that it is easy to foresee the MoCo saying "no thanks."  I'd be schmoozing my local dealership if they had any role at all in the import.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.171 seconds with 24 queries.