Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: Sturgis to Phoenix via Yellowstone  (Read 6400 times)

djkak

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
Re: Sturgis to Phoenix via Yellowstone
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2007, 04:50:10 PM »

Last, but not least, remember to stop for food!!

djkak

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2007, 04:50:15 PM »

Man those pics bring back memories DJ!!! Last time I was up there was '03. Gotta get back there this year with the new bike. I'll see you this summer! ::) Hoist! 8-)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

greglyon

• 1K CVO Member
  • 2013 FLHRSE5
    • AZ

• CVO1: FLHRSE5
    • Phillips and Lyon LLC
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2007, 05:48:10 PM »

Man those pics bring back memories DJ!!! Last time I was up there was '03. Gotta get back there this year with the new bike. I'll see you this summer! ::) Hoist! 8-)

Hoist, what the heck are you doing on this site.  Didn't your bike come today?  I figured you'd be doing the photo thing like the new dad in the delivery room!
"A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory"

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2007, 06:10:23 PM »

Hoist, what the heck are you doing on this site.  Didn't your bike come today?  I figured you'd be doing the photo thing like the new dad in the delivery room!

Hey IROAR, the bike's in, but they need time to prep it and put my parts on. Hopefully tomorrow or Sun. Where have you been though? Go to the Pictures Section. I put up a ton of Pics of the birthing today! Thanks man! ;) Hoist! 8-)
« Last Edit: January 19, 2007, 06:11:19 PM by Hoist »
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2007, 11:23:41 PM »

Leaving Sturgis and riding straight to Yellowstone......I've done it a couple times.  Let me say that on the eastern side of Yellowstone is Cody, Wyoming that is a town full of history thanks to Buffalo Bill.  

If time allows (it's a days ride from Sturgis) spend the night there in Cody.  The next morning, get up and go to the museum..........it's incredable if you're interested in western frontier history.  I did a quick tour in about hour and a half or two hours but it was well worth it.

Then again, if time allows, do a complete loop around Yellowstone before heading south to Jackson.  In Yellowstone be prepared around every corner for wildlife in the road.  The moose will usually move pretty readily but a heard of buffalo will stand there as long as there's grass on booth sides of the road.  The coyotes, wolf and bear usually run off as soon as a vehicle stops for better viewing.  But you'll definatley see mother nature at work there!  Enjoy......
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

greglyon

• 1K CVO Member
  • 2013 FLHRSE5
    • AZ

• Phillips and Lyon LLC
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2007, 09:08:50 AM »

Thanks to all who responded.  
It looks like Sturgis to Cody(via Beartooth Highway) for night 1.  
Ride to Yellowstone do the Grand loop and stay in the park day 2.  
Jackson and the Grand Tetons day 3.  
Ride to Flaming Gorge and spend the night day 4.  (Any suggestions for a nice place to stay?)
This leaves me with 700 miles to Phoenix.  Any suggestions for a fun destination that would split the remainder into 2 days?   Thanks again I appreciate the input and the great photos.

Screamin

• 5k CVO Member
  • Number 641

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2 Cherry
    • CVO2: 2019 Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2007, 09:40:45 AM »

I'll defer to the Co. folks who know it best but we really enjoyed Durango in S/W Co.

Screamin

• 5k CVO Member
  • Number 641

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2 Cherry
    • CVO2: 2019 Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2007, 09:43:53 AM »

North of Durango

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2007, 02:35:17 PM »

Ride to Flaming Gorge and spend the night day 4.  (Any suggestions for a nice place to stay?)
This leaves me with 700 miles to Phoenix.  Any suggestions for a fun destination that would split the remainder into 2 days?   Thanks again I appreciate the input and the great photos.

Sedona would be a great place to spend that last night and break up that 700 mile trip a little. [smiley=nixweiss.gif]
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

EZRIDN

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG - Paying tribute to an American legend
    • NE

• CVO1: FLHRSEI2
    • CVO2: 1947 FL
    • CVO3: 2004 FXSTI
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2007, 04:38:43 PM »

Sedona would be a great place to spend that last night and break up that 700 mile trip a little. [smiley=nixweiss.gif]

Sedona is a GREAT place to spend more than one night for sure.  Seek out a vortex wile you're there and become one with the enlightened world. [smiley=vrolijk_12.gif]  
"My goal is to become that old person everyone is afraid to take out in public."

"I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended...please be patient...I will get to you shortly ."

HD Owners Tip #39:  "Although the manual doesn't mention it, some swearing seems to help most machines run a little better."

greglyon

• 1K CVO Member
  • 2013 FLHRSE5
    • AZ

• Phillips and Lyon LLC
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2007, 06:00:28 PM »

Sedona is beautiful but approx 100 miles from Phoenix.  I was looking for something around 250-400 out to better split up the remaining 700 miles.
Is Arches National Monument worth spending a night?

PHAZE

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: '05 SEEG/'06 CUSE/'07 SERK/'09 SERG (ALL SOLD)
    • CVO2: '09 CVO Fat Bob Black Diamond/Fire Quartz (SOLD)
    • CVO3: '11.5 CVO Ultra Classic Twilight Blue/Candy Cobalt
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2007, 06:46:16 PM »

Bryce Canyon National Park in Utah would probably be 350 to 400 miles from Phoenix.  There's a nice lodge there and the food was good at the lodge too.  Bryce has landscapes like nothing I had seen before.  It is worth seeing.  Zion N.P. in Utah is also worth the visit.  

PHAZE

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: '05 SEEG/'06 CUSE/'07 SERK/'09 SERG (ALL SOLD)
    • CVO2: '09 CVO Fat Bob Black Diamond/Fire Quartz (SOLD)
    • CVO3: '11.5 CVO Ultra Classic Twilight Blue/Candy Cobalt
« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2007, 09:46:24 PM »

Here's a shot from Bryce Canyon.  

chunngle

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2007, 11:33:15 PM »

Thanks to all who responded.  
It looks like Sturgis to Cody(via Beartooth Highway) for night 1.  
Ride to Yellowstone do the Grand loop and stay in the park day 2.  
Jackson and the Grand Tetons day 3.  

Your trip home at this point sounds a lot like the trip we mapped out for the way there. We are going to Durango then up through Grand Junction and up to Flaming Gorge. Then a very similar route to what you have mapped out. We are leaving Phoenix on the 1st and plan on being in Sturgis the 6th through the 10th then hot rod it home by the 13th.

CVOwner

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2007, 03:31:49 PM »

I am in the planing stage for a trip to Sturgis in August and would appreciate some feedback on a scenic route that would take us back to Phoenix.  Given time restraints we are going to have our bike shipped to Rapid City, but wish to ride back routing ourselves through Yellowstone and Jackson before heading South to Phoenix.  I am looking for great places to stay, and some well maintained scenic roads.  Thanks

P.S.  Anybody coming to Phoenix for Arizona Bike Week (March 23-April 1?  If anyone has any questions, or needs help planning the trip, let me know.        
i would be very interested in maps and pictures of your trip. I cant do it this year, but next is almost a sure thing. Until then I have to live vicariously through your maps and images.
2004 SEEG Orange/Black
When all is said and done, there'll be more said, then done!
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.165 seconds with 25 queries.