Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: 2015 headlight issues  (Read 6246 times)

RG RON

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • PA

2015 headlight issues
« on: September 08, 2015, 01:51:23 PM »

Anyone here have or had any issues with their headlights as far as other's seeing them. Reason I asked is I was riding with other's this past Saturday and the lead bike rider said he couldn't see my headlights, all the others he could but not mine. Are these things aimed to low from HD ?Thanks  :)

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
Re: 2015 headlight issues
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2015, 02:08:13 PM »

Ron, 

No issue here.  But: 
It seems as though most of the 2015 CVO RGU headlights were aimed low from the factory.  Very funny that neither the owners manual or service manual tells you which direction to turn the adjustment knob (which faces down, under the fairing) to raise the headlights. Counter-clockwise!  I raised mine two full turns and it could use another.  I think Jon mentioned in your other thread that he leaves his bright lights during the day. That's not a bad idea.

'15 CVO RGU Headlight Adjustment?
GK
« Last Edit: September 08, 2015, 02:13:54 PM by GregKhougaz »

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

Major Tom

• Senior CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: Blue n Blue 2015 FLTRUSE - Lucille
    • CVO2: Grey n' Black 2011 FLTRUSE - Bertha (Sold)
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2015, 02:32:47 PM »

Mine was the same, couldn't see squat past 30 yards, adjusted it up and no problems. I'm not a fan of riding with the high beam on as it creates issues for oncoming traffic. JMHO but two lights up front is plenty for folks to notice you.

Cheers Tom

RG RON

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • PA

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2015, 03:34:03 PM »

Thanks for the replies. Here I was kind of bragging about the LED lights and the first rider couldn't even see mine, guess my name is mud. I did finish out the day with the high beams on then he could see me. Guess I will have to go out to the garage and do some learning and adjustments. I did see in the owner's manual on how to adjust but no wording on which way to go to obtain the desired height, thanks again.

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2015, 09:00:38 PM »

My 15 CVO RG Ultra came with the lights way low in Sept.  My friends 15 CVO RG Ultra came with the lights way low in Oct.

My wife's 15 RG special came with the lights way low.

Seems its a trend....
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

Major Tom

• Senior CVO Member
    • LA

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2015, 08:30:56 AM »

Set your bike up 25 feet from a wall/garage door. Center your 'cone of light' 34-36 inches from the ground. See attachment (hope it loads, I have trouble loading pics for some reason).

Cheers Tom

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2015, 09:02:14 AM »

Set your bike up 25 feet from a wall/garage door. Center your 'cone of light' 34-36 inches from the ground. See attachment (hope it loads, I have trouble loading pics for some reason).

Cheers Tom

The only thing about your diagram I would question Tom is the "34-36 inches from the ground" number.  The horizontal line should be the same height as the centerline of the headlights, which needs to be measured with the rider on the bike and the bike level.  The number will vary a bit from bike to bike, so to do it right you really should measure the exact distance.  And to be even more precise, the bike should be on a level surface that extends all the way from the bike to the wall or whatever you're using as the aiming point.  When I've been forced to use a surface that was sloped from the wall to the bike, I've actually used a laser level adjusted to the angle of the surface the front and rear wheels were sitting on to project the line to the wall.  It might seem overly anal, but if you want it accurate versus plus or minus whatever, like the factory, it's worth the effort.

I still find it both sad and ridiculous that something as important as headlight aim is not addressed by H-D at the assembly plant, or by the dealers during so-called "prep".  This is a safety item, and deserves more than just a who cares attitude from Milwaukee.   

Jerry 
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Afdharley

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MD

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2015, 09:39:58 AM »

I just took mine out on a dark stretch of road and played with the adjustment until I was happy. Well over 15 full turns to get it where I could see well. In fact, it may be a tad high but have not been "flashed" by other drivers yet.

Major Tom

• Senior CVO Member
    • LA

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2015, 10:38:05 AM »

:huepfenjump3:
The only thing about your diagram I would question Tom is the "34-36 inches from the ground" number.  The horizontal line should be the same height as the centerline of the headlights, which needs to be measured with the rider on the bike and the bike level.  The number will vary a bit from bike to bike, so to do it right you really should measure the exact distance.  And to be even more precise, the bike should be on a level surface that extends all the way from the bike to the wall or whatever you're using as the aiming point.  When I've been forced to use a surface that was sloped from the wall to the bike, I've actually used a laser level adjusted to the angle of the surface the front and rear wheels were sitting on to project the line to the wall.  It might seem overly anal, but if you want it accurate versus plus or minus whatever, like the factory, it's worth the effort.

I still find it both sad and ridiculous that something as important as headlight aim is not addressed by H-D at the assembly plant, or by the dealers during so-called "prep".  This is a safety item, and deserves more than just a who cares attitude from Milwaukee.   

Jerry

Totally agree Mr Jerry, flat surface, centerline of headlight, rider on board and anal is the way to go. I should have said here is a broad adjustment so that you can at least see and be seen.

Cheers Tom

RGlideKid

• 1K CVO Member
  • Riding Since 1972
    • AR

• CVO1: 2011 CVO RGU...sold
    • CVO2: 2015 CVO RGU
    • Bull Shoals Photography
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2015, 12:57:39 AM »

Ron,
Mine were really low at first, too, and it freaked me out, cause everyone had been talking about how great the new headlights were.  Then I saw all the posts about the other guys here having the same problem, so I adjusted them upward and voila! 
It's an easy problem to solve on our bike, but I've never tried shining them at a wall to make the adjustments.  I just bring them up until only 1 in about 20 cagers flip their brights at me and then I leave them there!  It's not scientific, but it makes me happy.
Harry
2017 Eureka Springs MITM Ride Chairman
Check out my photo gallery at:  RGlideKid's Galleries at Bull Shoals Photography

2015 CVO RGU with V&H Power Pro Headers & 4" Monster Rounds & HD-SEPST
2007 Bushtec Turbo+2 Trailer

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2015, 08:49:49 AM »

Since it's not exactly rocket science or even difficult to do it right, why not do it right?  I can guarantee you, if they are high enough to cause one person to flash their high beams at you, they are bothering more than just one person.  It isn't like the old days when people would flash you in a heartbeat if your lights seemed too high; these days people don't have enough hands to even use turn signals on a regular basis, much less use the flash feature (one hand for the coffee cup, one hand for the phone, one forearm or knee to steer, etc.).

Now that I'm an official "old fart", misaligned headlights on oncoming vehicles really bother my eyes.  Add to that the extra glare caused by the various HID and LED lights being installed on more and more vehicles these days, and it becomes a problem even for younger folks.  I try my best to keep my lights aimed so I'm not blinding anyone, not just because I'm such a nice guy ( ??? ), but also because that person you just blinded may swerve into your lane just as often as the other way.

JMHO - Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

RG RON

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • PA

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2015, 09:46:34 AM »

Thanks for the info, Going to adjust them in the garage today and see what happens, yes simple to do. Thought about taking to dealer and have them do it along with a supposedly new update on the infotainment system, which has locked up on me twice while riding and the auto volume hasn't worked since I brought it home. New technology hasn't impressed me much, so I guess I'm ole school, LOL!!
« Last Edit: September 10, 2015, 03:29:20 PM by RG RON »

Saxton

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2015, 11:52:05 AM »

Always ride with them on hi during the day.
Everyone says it easy to see and not offensive.
There are 143 of us in our HOG and those with led lights do the same.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

ultrarider123

« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2015, 02:16:18 PM »

It has been an issue for years.  It used to be the second thing I would do when I got a new bike home.  First would be rebuilding the carburetor.  Since that's technology has gone with the wind, adjusting the headlight has moved to the top of the list. 
I have yet to get one set up as described so well in the major's diagram and Jerry's descriptions and it NOT need any (usually major) adjustment in the headlight elevation.  It's just another fine QA check ignored by the factory and dealer.  It once made me mad....now I just expect it and deal with it....which is another conversation all on it's on.

RG RON

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • PA

« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2015, 03:42:01 PM »

Headlight again re visited. I adjusted my headlamps as instructed on this forum. Took several and I mean several turns to adjust, while adjusting and watching from the R/S of the headlamp assembly I didn't see any movement unless it's so minute it's difficult to see. I went on a benefit ride yesterday and my wife ahead of me, made the comment that even in front of me at various bike lengths she still could not see my headlamps and I had them on highbeam throughout the ride. She said that she the bikes behind me fine but not mine. I know they are working but this really concerns me and now I understand why I have so many close calls in recent weeks since ownership of this bike. I traded in a 13 RG Ultra with the stock lights and no issues. I'm no one to complain but this is really getting out of control. My research has shown that the lights are adjusted low from factory and adjustments are needed, but riding with the high's on I'm still not being seen with a trike various lengths in front of me ? I had a rider behind me, possibly a fairly new rider on a small Yamaha, like they use on courses like a 250 cc and that rider was maybe at most at times 20 bike lengths behind me and I seen that single headlight fine, but my wife and others can't see 2 LED 's on highbeam, so far not impressed with these lights considering all the hipe.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.176 seconds with 20 queries.