Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: run switch  (Read 4998 times)

bulawrench

• BC

• CVO1: 2008 Dyna 110 CVO
run switch
« on: September 26, 2015, 12:20:13 PM »

Hey Guys,
Just wondering if the run/kill switch on any CVOs have stop working. I thought i was stuck on the road the other day and if i just used the ignition switch to shut the bike off it was OK.
I guess splicing in a new switch would be the answer. Anyone else have this issue?
Thanks
Nothing like more cubic inches

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
Re: run switch
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2015, 07:07:12 PM »

Hey Guys,
Just wondering if the run/kill switch on any CVOs have stop working. I thought i was stuck on the road the other day and if i just used the ignition switch to shut the bike off it was OK.
I guess splicing in a new switch would be the answer. Anyone else have this issue?
Thanks

I've not had that problem nor do I recall hearing of others having the issue...   :nixweiss:

2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2015, 12:02:25 AM »

I'm responding from my phone so I can't see what kind of bike you have. Harley had whole batches of switches go bad on the 2014 and 15 touring models.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2015, 01:15:43 PM by GregKhougaz »

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

bulawrench

• BC

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2015, 01:16:37 AM »

Thanks guys,
It's a 2008 dyna and the service manual showes splicing both switches so I assume they knew something. I may try some contact cleaner first. Knock on wood it has been a great bike.

FinalShot

• 2015 CVO Limted
    • TX

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2015, 01:33:11 AM »

Mines a daily rider and I have not had any problems.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2015, 10:50:03 AM »

Thanks guys,
It's a 2008 dyna and the service manual showes splicing both switches so I assume they knew something. I may try some contact cleaner first. Knock on wood it has been a great bike.

The switch part number is 71589-96B, so it's been around a long time (1996) and it's been revised at least twice as signified by that -B- in the part number.  It's also obsolete since it doesn't come up as a current part number on the few dealer part sites I've tried it on. 

I'd suggest testing the switch (power off, connect an ohm meter to the wires, and operate the switch several times, watching for continuity (zero resistance) in one position and infinite resistance in the other).  If you had water in the switch a shot of contact cleaner could eliminate that (assuming you can get it actually into the switch), but that isn't going to keep it from happening again or fix a corroded contact.  I'm not sure what Harley is telling customers who need a new switch, so you may want to ask your dealer, assuming they have a good parts guy who will take the time to find out versus just blow you off.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2015, 11:07:41 AM »

The switch part number is 71589-96B, so it's been around a long time (1996) and it's been revised at least twice as signified by that -B- in the part number.  It's also obsolete since it doesn't come up as a current part number on the few dealer part sites I've tried it on. 

I'd suggest testing the switch (power off, connect an ohm meter to the wires, and operate the switch several times, watching for continuity (zero resistance) in one position and infinite resistance in the other).  If you had water in the switch a shot of contact cleaner could eliminate that (assuming you can get it actually into the switch), but that isn't going to keep it from happening again or fix a corroded contact.  I'm not sure what Harley is telling customers who need a new switch, so you may want to ask your dealer, assuming they have a good parts guy who will take the time to find out versus just blow you off.

Jerry

The handlebar switches were used in too many bikes for too long and too recently to have gone obsolete Jerry.  Maybe a supercession?  Even Harley couldn't have obsoleted that part yet. 

However....   Just like some relatively recent master cylinder gaskets and other parts Mother Harley really has made obsolete thank goodness we have the benefit of a mature aftermarket.  Drag Specialties part number 2106-0083 is a replacement for the stop switch.

bulawrench

• BC

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2015, 11:58:18 AM »

You guys are a wealth of info. Jerry, indeed if it is a sealed switch, no amount of contact cleaner will solve the corrosion. Thanks also for the info on part number. The dealers are actually both really good in Vancouver B.C. Barns especially is accommodating.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2015, 07:36:31 PM »

The handlebar switches were used in too many bikes for too long and too recently to have gone obsolete Jerry.  Maybe a supercession?  Even Harley couldn't have obsoleted that part yet. 

However....   Just like some relatively recent master cylinder gaskets and other parts Mother Harley really has made obsolete thank goodness we have the benefit of a mature aftermarket.  Drag Specialties part number 2106-0083 is a replacement for the stop switch.

I agree Don, and I found it strange that no info on a superceding part number showed up on the various sites I tried.  I did notice on the Granite State OEM parts listing they had a note to call them if you needed that switch, which leads me to believe there isn't a simple part number change.  Those they always indicate on the parts lists with a triangle and note about the superceding part number.

Jerry :nixweiss:

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2015, 08:21:35 PM »

I agree Don, and I found it strange that no info on a superceding part number showed up on the various sites I tried.  I did notice on the Granite State OEM parts listing they had a note to call them if you needed that switch, which leads me to believe there isn't a simple part number change.  Those they always indicate on the parts lists with a triangle and note about the superceding part number.

Jerry :nixweiss:

In use as late as 2-3 years ago I'd think they're still within the Federal limit for parts supply.  Like you I have to believe there's something in the pipe.  A part used in too great a quantity for too long and too recently.

I hope it's not a supercession that necessitates some whole kit or switch group replacement rather than just the individual piece.  That's the kind of thing I'd not put past Mother Harley.  If so, thank gawd for an aftermarket.

Ridgerunr

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TN

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2015, 08:34:26 AM »

On models that have a separate ignition switch I only use the kill in an emergency, I always use the ignition switch. My 2014 CVO RK doesn't have a separate ignition switch, the run/kill is the ignition switch, hopefully it's a sturdy piece.
2004 Roadglide 113" (sold)
2014 CVO RoadKing
2015 RGS

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2015, 08:51:34 AM »

On models that have a separate ignition switch I only use the kill in an emergency, I always use the ignition switch. My 2014 CVO RK doesn't have a separate ignition switch, the run/kill is the ignition switch, hopefully it's a sturdy piece.

Keep your fingers crossed.  Both left and right switch modules have had issues from day one, and they've undergone a couple engineering changes so far.  And there is no replacing just one switch anymore, it's a complete assembly for around $231.86 each once the warranty expires.

Jerry

Ridgerunr

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TN

« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2015, 05:21:55 PM »

Ouch, that's  ridiculous. ESP I purchased may end up being worth it.
2004 Roadglide 113" (sold)
2014 CVO RoadKing
2015 RGS

bulawrench

• BC

« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2015, 06:56:59 PM »

Turned out to be the 8 dollar start relay. That will be the cheapest fixes of 2015. Thanks for the help guys

RayG

• "What the hell was I thinking?"
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHRSE4
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2015, 07:47:01 PM »

For those that have a Road King and have the switch mounted to the console running the length of the tank, apparently there is nothing to prevent water from getting in there close to where the tank mounts by the front.  I had my switch fail so I removed the tank to check out the switch.  There was a lot of corrosion on the old one, I don't remember the cost but I just replaced it and will look into a way to prevent the water from getting in there.  If there is a piece to keep the water out, mine did not have one. 

Ray
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.249 seconds with 24 queries.