Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Question about auxilary light connections/switches on 2013 RK  (Read 5599 times)

Scott7d

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2020 CVO Road Glide 117"
    • IN

• CVO1: 2020 CVO Road Glide 117"
Question about auxilary light connections/switches on 2013 RK
« on: September 30, 2015, 08:00:02 PM »

I just finished installing daymaker aux. lights on my 2013 RK. It was quite the task since I'm not very mechanical and the instructions/manual didn't lead me far. The instructions said to refer to the manual for the auxiliary light connections. However the manual just says something along the lines of "the switch on the right side of the nacelle is for aux. lights should you choose to install them". It doesn't give any specifics as to where the actual connections for the aux. lights are in the nacelle. The instructions for the light brackets mention black/grey wires inside the nacelle but I did not see them anywhere.

I will post a few photos and explain what I did. The lights work, however they turn on when the ignition is on. I would like to be able to use the switch so I can turn them off when I choose. I would also be fine if the lights just didn't come on until the bike was started.

1. First here is a red/yellow lead behind the light I assumed was the aux. light connection (there is a black one like this but it did not work, you can see it in the next photo)

2. I plugged the lead into one side of this black Y harness

3. Next I twisted together both wires for each aux. light and plugged them into the side that the red/yellow lead was plugged into.

Any advice on being able to use the actual aux. light switch would be appreciated!

Scott Matlock
Iron Butt Ride List

db252

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA
Re: Question about auxilary light connections/switches on 2013 RK
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2015, 01:17:50 AM »

I believe the aux light connection that is controlled by the switch is located under the left side cover below the fuses. If I remember correctly, I think it is the grey one of the two.

Scott7d

• Senior CVO Member
    • IN

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2015, 08:07:28 AM »

I thought that may be the accessories connection. The wires for the lights won't come remotely close to that. I would think the light connection would be right there by the headlight?
Scott Matlock
Iron Butt Ride List

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2015, 08:48:12 AM »

The Aux Light switch comes standard on the nacelle according to the parts manual.  Have you looked at the backside of the switch to see if there are wires leading from it to the headlight housing or elsewhere?  Often when Harley has wiring installed that isn't used in production, the unused wiring and connector are taped to the rest of the wire loom and may not be obvious at first glance.

If you have the manual for the bike, the wiring diagrams should show you exactly what wires come to and leave from that switch, along with their color codes.  Solid black btw is always ground on an H-D.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Scott7d

• Senior CVO Member
    • IN

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2015, 01:31:33 PM »

Thanks Jerry. I tried to follow the wires from the switch and it looks like it led back into the bike, rather than the lamp housing. Ive skimmed the manual front to back, no wire diagram for it. I will look around more today.
Scott Matlock
Iron Butt Ride List

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2015, 01:58:48 PM »

The manual I was talking about is the shop manual, not the owner manual.  There should be a full set of wiring diagrams in the back of the book.

Harley usually follows the same color coding convention for wiring from year to year.  In the past, the wires for the aux lights were GY/BK (grey with a black stripe), and I wouldn't be surprised to find the same would apply to your bike.

Jerry

Btw, I assume there was a connector attached to the back of the aux switch.  In the past, I've seen kits for the aux lights that included a pass through connector that provided the actual power from the switch to the lights.  See if part of the wiring that came with the light kit looks like such a device, where you remove the current connector from the switch, install the new connector, and then reinstall the original connector to the new one.  Sort of a piggyback arrangement.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2015, 02:11:23 PM by grc »

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Scott7d

• Senior CVO Member
    • IN

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2015, 02:19:44 PM »

Thank you for clarifying. I did trace the wiring from the aux light switch to a white plug, which then leads back down into the bike. I can post photos soon but the wires coming from it are black, yellow, and a black/grey. As it is Im just confused as to how I connect the lights to it unless some splicing is meant to be involved.

EDIT: Here is the plug. The left black/grey wire definitely looks similar to the black/grey wires coming from the actual lights. At this point I'm just not sure how to get those damned lights connected to it :)
« Last Edit: October 01, 2015, 02:27:31 PM by Scott7d »
Scott Matlock
Iron Butt Ride List

db252

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2015, 03:30:04 PM »

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2015, 05:02:17 PM »

Two different things.  The accessory connector is for wiring other kinds of accessories.  The fog/passing lamp circuit doesn't use that connector.

Jerry

Scott7d

• Senior CVO Member
    • IN

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2015, 06:54:08 PM »

I paid 20 bucks to get the full manual. Will browse tonight!
Scott Matlock
Iron Butt Ride List

Scott7d

• Senior CVO Member
    • IN

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2015, 08:12:07 PM »

Well the manuals might as well have been in German. Nothing real specific to help. I'm just going to keep it wired how I had originally where they are on all the time. After dropping 900 bucks, that's the best I can do at this point.
Scott Matlock
Iron Butt Ride List

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2015, 08:45:47 PM »

Scott, if you go back and look at that "Y" harness, the two small connectors are the ones that should go to the lights, not the way you have it hooked up.  Then you need to find a way to get the power from that grey/black wire connected to the large connector of the "Y" harness.  It should have been plug and play, but maybe the kit you bought wasn't really designed to work with the 2013 SERK.  Which kit part numbers did you use for both the brackets and the actual lights?  Maybe I can download the instructions for both the kits and try to figure it out.  There has to be either another connector from that switch that is hidden from you, or another harness to connect in between the two white connectors to tap into the power lead for the lights.  And you really need to make the connections with real terminals and connectors, or proper splices, not just twisting the ends of the wires and sticking them into connectors.  That's just asking for short circuits or wires coming loose and killing the lights.  If all else fails, get someone with some experience with the wiring to do it for you.  Even the dealership  should be able to do it properly for less than an hour's labor charge.

Jerry

Scott7d

• Senior CVO Member
    • IN

« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2015, 08:54:02 PM »

Thanks again, Jerry. I am starting to think the harness they provided may not have been compatible. And I apologize for sounding like a big baby with my last post. It's been a frustrating week all around. I have a friend who is more knowledgeable coming over tomorrow to give me a hand. I will be sure to pass along what you've said so far! Worse comes to worse, Maybe I can head north and you can help me out :)
Scott Matlock
Iron Butt Ride List

Scott7d

• Senior CVO Member
    • IN

« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2015, 04:07:25 PM »

After taking a closer look at one of the photos provided in the manual I downloaded, I got it. And I gotta say I'm a little embarrassed at how easy this should have been. No harness needed or anything like that :)

My last photo that shows the white plug at my fingertips, there is another white connector just below that. It has two spaces for.....you guessed it....each aux. light wire. I put the wires in, sealed it up real good and the lights power on/off with the aux. light switch now. All wires match up black/grey to black/grey. Blood pressure is also back to normal!

And of course I gotta show off the final product!

« Last Edit: October 02, 2015, 04:41:40 PM by Scott7d »
Scott Matlock
Iron Butt Ride List

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2015, 09:01:10 AM »

:2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:

I admire your perseverance and am happy you got it working Scott.

Jerry

Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.188 seconds with 20 queries.