Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Author Topic: SE Lifters aren't the answer, 120R failure  (Read 17719 times)

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
Re: SE Lifters aren't the answer, 120R failure
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2015, 02:06:44 PM »

That lifter that failed is a Harley -C Eaton made in Mexico. Check the parts book and I believe MY 2013 shows a Screaming Eagle part then back to the -C in 2014up. The S reaming eagle lifters are logoed

Which lifter are you referring to?  The lifter pictured by Boatman?  Or the 2014 CVO Road King lifter referenced by Ridgerunr?

Really doesn't matter, because the 2014 CVO Road King (110 motor) referenced by Ridgrunr and the SE 120r motor (installed new last June) referenced by Boatman both came stock with SE lifter part number 18572-13. 

2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2015, 03:52:08 PM »

As Scott has stated, my friends 120R were the SE with the larger diameter needle bearings.  They measure .077 diameter.  They do not say SE on them.  The catalogue shows them saying SE on them but in fact they don't.  Rebecca at TRI-County pulled a new set and confirmed they do not say SE on them even though they are in SE boxes when sold.  13 and later 110's have SE lifters standard.

My B lifters lasted 30,000 miles on my 2010 before roller failure.  OhioDave's were took out at 40,000 miles (on a 2009) and still were good even though he changed out to S&S premiums.

FWIW

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2015, 04:00:12 PM »

Bob, hate to see this happening to your buddy's bike.  What was the collateral damage?

Don't really know yet Don as engine is back together but has not been run/ridden.  Cams were replaced (stock for stock SE266's) , and inner cam bearings and oil pump for good measures.  Crank run out with Feuling dial indicator plate was .001..

May have a lot more go wrong (hope not) after running/riding.  Scott advised a lot to my friend but he declined.  Hope he doesn't pay the price in the long run.  Could/should have done heads, remove oil pan, and remove oil cooler, etc, etc.

Metal went somewhere (oil filter was cut a part and full), but no oil was in top end or breathers etc..  Hope it doesn't bite him.  Was just mad for having to do it in the first place.

Who would buy a bike if they told you that the lifters needed changed every 7-10K miles?

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
    • IL

« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2015, 06:07:24 PM »

Don't really know yet Don as engine is back together but has not been run/ridden.  Cams were replaced (stock for stock SE266's) , and inner cam bearings and oil pump for good measures.  Crank run out with Feuling dial indicator plate was .001..

May have a lot more go wrong (hope not) after running/riding.  Scott advised a lot to my friend but he declined.  Hope he doesn't pay the price in the long run.  Could/should have done heads, remove oil pan, and remove oil cooler, etc, etc.

Metal went somewhere (oil filter was cut a part and full), but no oil was in top end or breathers etc..  Hope it doesn't bite him.  Was just mad for having to do it in the first place.

Who would buy a bike if they told you that the lifters needed changed every 7-10K miles?

I used to buy a new Harley at least every two to three years - for several decades I did this.  I have not purchased a new bike since 2007, which I think answers your question...   :(
Screamin Eagle 120r
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2015, 06:50:17 PM »

The lack of a logo screwed me up, I get it now. They still leak bad and now we can deduce the heat treat and roller issues persist.

Ridgerunr

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TN

« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2015, 07:20:42 PM »

The lack of markings (SE logo) had me confused as well. Pic attached
2004 Roadglide 113" (sold)
2014 CVO RoadKing
2015 RGS

fastfreddy

• 1K CVO Member
  • MY CVO
    • IA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE traded
    • CVO2: 2016 FLTRUSE
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2015, 07:32:30 PM »

can i ask what lifter your using, that needs changing so often? I have over 26k on my S&S lifters w/limiters...should i be thinking about checking them  :nixweiss:     
I change lifters every 5,000 to 7,000 miles on both my 110 and 120r motors "no matter what".  More than once, I've found a lifter starting to fail, a couple of times failure was imminent.  I am very sure had I not changed lifters on a schedule akin to changing oil, that I would have had a failure such as pictured.  The majority of my riding on my SEUC is trips west that are of duration of 4,000 to 7,000 miles.  Mostly riding in the Rocky Mountains, two up, pulling a Bushtec.   I admit this type of riding is hard on motors.  Extended periods of riding at high engine temperature.  Pulling to 10/12,000 feet regularly, sometime a few times each day.  But never abusive riding.  Actually, as gentle as possible riding, considering the terrain.  I always leave home with new oil, filter and lifters.  Sad state of affairs, but I'd prefer this type preventative maintenance vs. a failure thousands of miles from home.  Almost as frustrating as the four compensators I've needed to reach 30,000 miles... 
SERGU aka the RENTAL ... never home & always broke...Thnx FF

bakon

• Elite CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited "Wicked"
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2015, 07:37:20 PM »

I had the old se lifter take out some woods 400g on a 2006.  Motor started having loud screech. Then a mile later a bucket of bolts rolling around inside. 
Didn't know my new 40k bike would have them.
I will take them out when warranty expires next year. 10k on them now with cross country trip. Many 700 and more mile days and quiet.   But again, I don't trust them once on my dollar to fix
Will

twinotter

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2015, 12:07:29 PM »

IMHO your not getting much for your 40K, certainly not 40K worth of motorcycle. Since early on in the Twin Cams life, hD has continuously downgraded pieces and parts, while looking to save mfg costs and up their profits. They have gone from hot forged cranks to cast, redesigned the crank and compensator mainly to save machining steps. That has resulted in twisted cranks and a comp set that still isn't completely fixed despite 3-4 generations of changes. A friends front wheel bearings failed at 500miles, another has two sets by 30K.  just help ed the same guy rebuld hs '11 transmission with 30K, failed bearings. It still needs a new clutch hub bearing ( growling badly). My 01 Dyna has 102K, still running on original wheel bearings with no signs of problems. Apparently they can't make a hydraulic clutch that works either, keep hearing constant recalls and issues. FBW throttles that quit working. What the hell was wrong with cables?
HD is sourcing parts from whom ever will give them the best price, quality has nothing to do with it. The idea that its an American made motorcycle is a joke of the biggest magnitude. I recently heard sales dropped by 14% in the last quarter and another 4% to date in this one. Maybe the buying public has finally caught on to the ripoff that is HD. A 40K$ motorcycle should run 100k without problems imo. I won't be buying another HD product, my buddy with the '11 is buying an Indian asap. HD is digging its own grave and deserves to be in it imo.  twinotter

HILLSIDECYCLE.COM

• Banned
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2015, 02:28:26 PM »

It's wonderful that they enhanced the axle, but the hydraulic portion of the lifter it not up to snuff.
Scott

Ridgerunr

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TN

« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2015, 03:42:42 PM »

It's wonderful that they enhanced the axle, but the hydraulic portion of the lifter it not up to snuff.
Scott

For sure. If they're going to charge the same $$ as S&S (or more) they at least ought to work.
2004 Roadglide 113" (sold)
2014 CVO RoadKing
2015 RGS

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2015, 03:43:33 PM »

Boatman,
Yep.  Hope it don't end up in the wrist-pin oil hole.  Smart money would tear it down right now.  There endeth the lesson.  Later--HUBBARD 
2012 FLHTCUSE7  (Electric Orange/Black)  Built Motor (124), D&D "Borzilla" Exhaust, Tilley/K&N Air Induction,
"National President"-"Hillbilly Rocket Riders", MC, Mother Chapter, WV
"National President"-"W.H.O.R.E", TPT, WV Chapter

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
    • IL

« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2015, 06:00:52 PM »

Boatman,
Yep.  Hope it don't end up in the wrist-pin oil hole.  Smart money would tear it down right now.  There endeth the lesson.  Later--HUBBARD

yep...   :2vrolijk_21:
Screamin Eagle 120r
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

mark

« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2015, 08:04:53 PM »

IMHO your not getting much for your 40K, certainly not 40K worth of motorcycle. Since early on in the Twin Cams life, hD has continuously downgraded pieces and parts, while looking to save mfg costs and up their profits. They have gone from hot forged cranks to cast, redesigned the crank and compensator mainly to save machining steps. That has resulted in twisted cranks and a comp set that still isn't completely fixed despite 3-4 generations of changes. A friends front wheel bearings failed at 500miles, another has two sets by 30K.  just help ed the same guy rebuld hs '11 transmission with 30K, failed bearings. It still needs a new clutch hub bearing ( growling badly). My 01 Dyna has 102K, still running on original wheel bearings with no signs of problems. Apparently they can't make a hydraulic clutch that works either, keep hearing constant recalls and issues. FBW throttles that quit working. What the hell was wrong with cables?
HD is sourcing parts from whom ever will give them the best price, quality has nothing to do with it. The idea that its an American made motorcycle is a joke of the biggest magnitude. I recently heard sales dropped by 14% in the last quarter and another 4% to date in this one. Maybe the buying public has finally caught on to the ripoff that is HD. A 40K$ motorcycle should run 100k without problems imo. I won't be buying another HD product, my buddy with the '11 is buying an Indian asap. HD is digging its own grave and deserves to be in it imo.  twinotter

Frustrating, isn't it?  On a recent bike trip, a buddy's front wheel bearing went out at 5k miles on a '15 SGS.  I asked the HD tech if it wasn't odd for a bearing with only 5k miles to fail.  He replied, not really.  Doesn't instill a lot of confidence in the MoCo.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #29 on: November 18, 2015, 08:55:29 PM »

The lack of markings (SE logo) had me confused as well. Pic attached

I noticed the latest catalog shows the black finish and logo like your picture.  The 2013 and 2014 catalogs showed the plain version in my picture.  I would be interested in seeing if the production part is still plain, or has now been changed to the one currently in the catalog.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Page created in 0.182 seconds with 20 queries.