Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Is not if but when you go down  (Read 8626 times)

Break shot

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MD

Is not if but when you go down
« on: December 15, 2015, 09:44:36 PM »

Having read through the rider down stuff , I have to wonder if there's a lot of guys who never be in a accident or is it just a matter of time

Break shot

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
Re: Is not if but when you go down
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2015, 10:08:00 PM »

Having read through the rider down stuff , I have to wonder if there's a lot of guys who never be in a accident or is it just a matter of time

Break shot

In 2004, I hit a deer with my cruise control set at 80 mph. 

I had been riding various bikes for 35 years without any hint of an incident until that day...

2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Break shot

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MD

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2015, 10:24:09 PM »

Dam at 80 that couldn't be fun ,, I have a friend who decided to leave his low rider shovelhead in the garage and took out his dresser and hit a deer at 40 and never layed the bike down
Iv have yet to see 80 since back riding my other dresser 82 FLT ,, but I'm sure I'm going to atleast crank the cvo out that fast once , but I'll make sure I'm carefull where I do that

Break shot

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2015, 10:34:53 PM »

Anyone who says they'll never go down is being foolish.  No matter how skilled and/or lucky you are sometimes it's not up to you.  Tires blow, engines seize (thank you mother Harley), road conditions can suddenly deteriorate or be pot-holed, others may not pay attention or your BSR can just suddenly see something so interesting it needs to be leaned over and pointed at as your slowly going through a parking lot; and none of that even begins to consider traffic, deer or other such hazards.

I've gone down, dropped or laid over enough times I could be foolish and say I'm pre-disastered now so it can't happen to me again.  And it can't; right up until the next time.

muddypaws

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2012 FLHTCUS7

• CVO1: 2005 CVO
    • CVO2: 2009 CVO SEUC
    • CVO3: 2017 CVO LIMITED
    • Re/Max
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2015, 07:52:48 AM »

I went down stopped and split my helmet...
Bill

Road Dad

• Senior CVO Member
    • MI

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited - 117 CU
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2015, 07:54:21 AM »

Never on the highway. Off road racing sure, many times.

So far 176,000 highway miles. Kinda boring compared to riding off road.

ultrarider123

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2015, 08:17:05 AM »

If it hasn't happened, it will at some point in a riders career.  May be small (forgetting to put your foot/feet down at a stop light) or may be major (like a deer at 80...).

First bike that I ever owned, mine, paid for (450L Suzuki).  Bought it used on a Friday afternoon and totaled it the next day in a 300 degree corner doing 20 mph.  There was a substantial dip in my side of the bend that I did not see until I had experienced it, stood me up and to the other side of the two lane and off the pavement.  Slowing to come back to the pavement I also didn't see the rather large rock, which I hit.  The force popped my front wheel/handlebar to the right with enough force to, obviously, knock the bike to the ground but to also shatter my scapula.  Slid down the road about 100 feet, cracked my brand new Arthur Fulmer full face but not another scratch on me.  Bought that bike back from a future brother-in-law a year later after he rebuilt it.  Great ride....

I've dropped a bike, twice...same bike.  '89 EG once at Roads of Atlanta and once loading it on a trailer.  Little to no damage both times and I wasn't hurt.  I've been fortunate that these have been the only "reportable" incidents (so far) after 40 years or so of riding.

cambo

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Breakout
    • CVO2: 2015 Ultra Limited
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2015, 10:08:17 AM »

If it hasn't happened, it will at some point in a riders career.  May be small (forgetting to put your foot/feet down at a stop light) or may be major (like a deer at 80...).

Happened to me twice on the way back from Sturgis this past August. After 10 days/4000 miles and 200 miles from home, we stopped to get a bite to eat and I forgot to put my feet down. By the time I realized what I had done the bike was leaning already. So I did the best I could to ease it down. 50 miles later, we stopped for gas and ... I forgot to put my feet down (I know...) and the same thing, eased it down.  :-[ Screwed up my back big time and was out of commission for 1 month afterwards. After the second incident, my riding buddies would all yell at me to put my feet down at    e v e r y    d a n g   s t o p!!! But I deserved it I guess.

My biggest phobia is cars making left turns. It has happened twice, both times I suspected they might do this and was ready for an emergency stop, which probably saved my a$$ (Good thing my wife does not read my posts on this site or my wings would be clipped permanently). I have always been a defensive driver and pay a lot of attention to all moving objects around me. But as I get older and have more senior moments...

Ride safe and don't forget to put your feet down when you stop the bike!  ;D

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2015, 11:06:15 AM »

When first learning to ride (first time in the saddle) friend was teaching me on his 175 Yamaha Enduro (early 70's).. we were in a big field and he taught me how to start bike, get going (easily releasing clutch & giving it gas), and going thru the gears. That went well and I had the hang of that... then he started to ride... he took off and next thing I know he's doing a wheelie. Well... you know after seeing that I had to try... So... I asked him how to do it, and he explained (get the bike to rolling, pull in the clutch, rev the motor and then dump the clutch)... he failed to mention a few things to me... sit up close to the tank and lean forward... not backwards. :oops: :shocked2: Well needless to say I slid off the back of the back and it bounced on the rear tail light and fender. :( Only damage was a broken tail light that I replaced (bought) one that day.

Several years later I purchased my first street bike and was out riding with some friends after a rain... was on a curvy two lane road and when going thru one of the curves (faster than I was ready for) I froze, looked to the ditch (instead of where I wanted to go) and ended up in the ditch. The ditch was deep enough and ground soft enough I had to wait for friends to turn around and come back to help get the bike and me up/out the ditch. Later, with that same bike I was at a club drinking bourbon and Budweiser's (more than I should've... was young, dumb, and full of... stupids). Forgot to get my clear visor for my full face helmet when I left home that night and when returning home going around a cloverleaf ramp with dark visor flipped up, the visor flipped down... in my drunken stupor I couldn't get the visor up and hit the median and went down. Watched the bike slide (as I was sliding) for what seemed like forever... jumped up, chased the bike down, picked it up, and rode it home. Got home to find multiple road rash... a cut on my finger so deep I thought I saw the knuckle bone (first time in life receiving stitches). Was still living at home and woke my parents up for some advice (Do I need to go to the hospital?)... my Mom looked up seeing my injuries and answered yes... immediately taking me to the ER.

To this day every time I ride the thought of "if this will be the day I will be in/have an accident" is on my mind. I try to ride defensively and when it comes to alcohol if I'm going to or plan to drink more drink's than I have wheels (2 wheels/2 beers) the bike gets parked. I was told by an old(er) rider when I got into motorcycling... "There are those riders that have had an accident, and there are those riders that will have an accident... very few never have an accident if you do enough riding".

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2015, 01:21:18 PM »

Been down twice.  First time, rear wheel spun inside the rim, cut the valve core.  Rear flat at about 50 MPH.  Not good.  Next time, hit a dip in the road, way too fast and too hard, frame broke under the gas tank, Bike started Pogo-ing, (Jammer Frame), Double not good.  Broke Ol' Hub up pretty bad.  Still got little rocks in my forearm and right butt cheek!  Over the years, I've almost went down several times.  Not saying I won't go down again, but hope not.  As Twolane said, lots of variables.  One thing I can say for a fact..........since I stopped drinkin' booze, I ain't crashed a single time!  There endeth the lesson.  8)  Later--HUBBARD     
2012 FLHTCUSE7  (Electric Orange/Black)  Built Motor (124), D&D "Borzilla" Exhaust, Tilley/K&N Air Induction,
"National President"-"Hillbilly Rocket Riders", MC, Mother Chapter, WV
"National President"-"W.H.O.R.E", TPT, WV Chapter

King Glide

• 1K CVO Member
  • It's still Good To Be King !
    • LA

• CVO1: 2016 Roadglide Ultra
    • CVO2: 2014 Ultra Limited
    • CVO3: 2011 Roadglide Ultra
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2015, 07:51:44 PM »

Went down last year for the first time after 44 years.
Got another shark and there's blood in the wind.
Back to the dark side !
  Personalized Plate
         GD2BKG

ultrarider123

« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2015, 07:06:47 AM »

Been down twice.  First time, rear wheel spun inside the rim, cut the valve core.  Rear flat at about 50 MPH.  Not good.  Next time, hit a dip in the road, way too fast and too hard, frame broke under the gas tank, Bike started Pogo-ing, (Jammer Frame), Double not good.  Broke Ol' Hub up pretty bad.  Still got little rocks in my forearm and right butt cheek!  There endeth the lesson.  8)  Later--HUBBARD   

I think I'll take your word on that, Hub....no need to prove it...... ;D :huepfenlol2:

Dr.D

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SEDFB Sunrise Yellow and Black Quartz
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO Limited silver/orange
    • CVO3: 2015 Indian Vintage Custom 57 Chevy Blue
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2015, 09:49:54 AM »

Ok I'm in a mood for doom forecasting.

Sure you're going down and you gonna die someday and most likely have pain and suffering before the end comes. Logic then says since your still alive sell the bike and quit riding so you can die another way.

cambo

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Breakout
    • CVO2: 2015 Ultra Limited
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2015, 09:53:47 AM »

Ok I'm in a mood for doom forecasting.

Sure you're going down and you gonna die someday and most likely have pain and suffering before the end comes. Logic then says since your still alive sell the bike and quit riding so you can die another way.

That would mean I am a logical person and I have never been accused of that particular mental defect. So I guess I'm keeping the bike(s).  :bananarock:

Dr.D

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SEDFB Sunrise Yellow and Black Quartz
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO Limited silver/orange
    • CVO3: 2015 Indian Vintage Custom 57 Chevy Blue
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2015, 10:02:32 AM »

That would mean I am a logical person and I have never been accused of that particular mental defect. So I guess I'm keeping the bike(s).  :bananarock:

Good for you. Life is risky and some would say the thrill of life is proportional to the risks taken.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.209 seconds with 24 queries.