Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 26

Author Topic: Harley 117 Drop on Build in progress  (Read 104662 times)

bigchuck

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

• CVO1: 2015 Limited
Re: Harley 117 Drop on Build in progress
« Reply #45 on: January 25, 2016, 06:29:24 AM »

The smart money will be on letting elite engine builders do some experimentation to perfect the package. If you have to force or convince your engine builder to something. Either change your build or your builder. IMHO
2015 CVO Limited
Long Ride Shield
Fullsac dx w/2"cores, TTS tuned by Wolfgang
Super Shox

Lever

• 1K CVO Member
  • keep the rubber side down
« Reply #46 on: January 25, 2016, 08:09:22 AM »

X2
2010 CVO Convertible  crimson red sunglo/Autumn Haze with Metal Grind Graphics
2014 113  motor 10.8 compression
SAE smoothing #5  125.7 hp / 122.9 tq
2017 Road King M8
stage IV

KC2GIW

• RUB
  • Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NY

• CVO1: 2016 White Amethyst CVO Street Glide
« Reply #47 on: January 25, 2016, 09:16:07 PM »

Well I'm doing it for science, then.

Now I fee better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Matt - Syracuse, NY

2016 White Amethyst FLHXSE.
117 SE drop-in kit.
Jackpot 2:1:2, V&H 450 Titans.

2018 Arctic White Corvette Grand Sport

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #48 on: January 26, 2016, 08:33:56 AM »

There was a time, many years ago before I learned much about H-D, when I might have said something like "the kit must be OK, I'm sure H-D thoroughly tested it before offering it for sale".  That was when I was naïve about the ways of Harley management, and before the long list of changes on production models that were obviously tested only in the minds of the marketing folks who proposed them.

I'll be interested in seeing some long term results posted, as well as any feedback from builders who take the time to properly measure the parts before throwing the kit on.  Sadly, a lot of Harley dealers are likely to do the same thing they've done with previous big bore kits from Harley, just take the parts out of the boxes and throw them on.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

GMR-PERFORMANCE

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #49 on: January 26, 2016, 08:47:55 AM »

Well Jerry most of the dealers are not set up to measure the cylinders properly , and then the hone process ,,  :confused5: 

Yes the cylinders will get checked  like we do on everything.  post up the sizing no issues,
2012 SHARK  S&S 124 150/140   www.gmrperformance.com

BostonboyDH

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #50 on: January 26, 2016, 10:25:40 AM »

I have commissioned Steve to do a complete in house tear down & 113 ci rebuild using all of his recommended parts on my Silver 09 SERG, These conversations began late this summer with me originally requesting Steve build me a 117 ci motor using his recommended parts, although I was already confident he has the best 113 kit to date. Over the course of three phone calls we decided the 117 can be done it might not be my best option due to known problems with boring the cases to accept the 117 cyls. When the HD 117 Drop on kit was released Steve called me and we had another lengthy conversation regarding a 117 build using only the cyls & pistons from the HD kit and all the other parts recommended by Steve. Steve has assured me that the tolerances of the kit would be thoroughly checked to meet his specifications and standards and if he is not satisfied the kit would not be accepted and were back to a 113. Also there is a Dyno shop in Ma called Rob's Dyno he has been tuning my bikes since 2003 and Rob is a advocate of GMR parts when folks are looking for upgrades when tuning, I think Rob might be somewhat disappointed with me because my bike went to GMR for the build although I don't feel this has affected our relationship in anyway because he knows my bike is at a competent shop and he knows any issues I might have in the future he will be able with solve due to his relationship with Steve. With Steve building and Rob maintaining I feel I'm in very good hands.....  BostonBoy       

GMR-PERFORMANCE

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #51 on: January 26, 2016, 11:22:21 AM »

Got some very nice parts from the UPS driver   :pepper: :pineapple:  , will shoot some pics and send them to you.

BostonboyDH

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #52 on: January 26, 2016, 12:19:59 PM »

LOOKING FORWARD TO IT....  David

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #53 on: January 26, 2016, 02:02:22 PM »

There was a time, many years ago before I learned much about H-D, when I might have said something like "the kit must be OK, I'm sure H-D thoroughly tested it before offering it for sale".  That was when I was naïve about the ways of Harley management, and before the long list of changes on production models that were obviously tested only in the minds of the marketing folks who proposed them.

I'll be interested in seeing some long term results posted, as well as any feedback from builders who take the time to properly measure the parts before throwing the kit on.  Sadly, a lot of Harley dealers are likely to do the same thing they've done with previous big bore kits from Harley, just take the parts out of the boxes and throw them on.

Jerry
Well said Jerry :2vrolijk_21:

North Star

• CANADA- Love it or Leave it
  • 1K CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2009 CVO Road Glide- Orange/Black
    • CVO2: 2015 Ducati Monter 821- Star White
« Reply #54 on: January 26, 2016, 02:55:24 PM »

Like I mentioned on the other 117 thread, I too am about to send my heads and jugs to Steve for his 113 kit. I'm doing some last minute reading on the new 117 kit, and will discuss further with Steve as to which route to go.

I agree that there is no way I would just drop the kit on- like BostonboyDH said, I would have Steve check tolerances, and do whatever headwork is necessary, which would probably be the same as he would on the 113 build.

Tough call, but it will depend on the price difference, as even doing the 113 build is costing more that I was planning, especially with the Canadian dollar doing so bad lately.
2009 Screamin' Eagle Road Glide- Electric Orange/Vivid Black
GMR 113", GMR 600 cams, Fullac DX & Kuryakyn Crushers, SE Heavy Breather, tuned by "Dyno Dave" Stoddart
Jagg 10 row fan assisted oil cooler
Axeo Legends/Ohlins 3-3/True Track front and rear
C&C Fastback seat w/orange flame stitching & a Le Pera Maverick
PYO Monkey Bars- 10"
Freedom Shields 12" light grey
Hawg Wired "six pack"amp/speakers, Iron Cross ipod interface
HD Daymaker headlights
Detachable King Tour Pak in Electric Orange

Mr. Warlock

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited - unnamed
    • CVO2: 2011 Softail Convertable "Bourbon Betty" - Traded
    • CVO3: 2005 SE FatBoy - Sold
« Reply #55 on: January 26, 2016, 03:47:03 PM »

Reliable 117's have been being built for years. As long as these are quality parts I really don't see the reason for all the concern. In my opinion, IF, these are good cylinders with acceptable tolerances this opens the door for us to have a nice bump at a more reachable cost with much less worry than boring the cases. Just my opinion of course.
Lived hard and fast, laughed harder than humans have a right to and continue to do so.

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

• CVO1: 2011 Slate/Black SERGU** traded
    • CVO2: 2015 Double Blue SERGU
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG Blue
« Reply #56 on: January 26, 2016, 03:51:10 PM »

Got some very nice parts from the UPS driver   epper: ineapple:  , will shoot some pics and send them to you.
You ain't got that put together yet??  ;D
« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 10:04:47 PM by OBB »
PHOTOBUCKET IS HOLDING MY PIX HOSTAGE!!!

GMR-PERFORMANCE

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #57 on: January 26, 2016, 04:04:52 PM »

No i do not have it together yet. At this point I am tying up all the other builds in house.  Have two more basic builds to put together and and I am all over it, :2vrolijk_21:

Sea Biscuit

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #58 on: January 26, 2016, 04:34:09 PM »

No i do not have it together yet. At this point I am tying up all the other builds in house.  Have two more basic builds to put together and and I am all over it, :2vrolijk_21:

Hey, stop with the excuses and "get er done"!!! ;D

KC2GIW

• RUB
  • Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NY

• CVO1: 2016 White Amethyst CVO Street Glide
« Reply #59 on: January 26, 2016, 04:41:31 PM »

Reliable 117's have been being built for years. As long as these are quality parts I really don't see the reason for all the concern. In my opinion, IF, these are good cylinders with acceptable tolerances this opens the door for us to have a nice bump at a more reachable cost with much less worry than boring the cases. Just my opinion of course.

Nicest part about this kit (from my perspective) is I keep all the parts to put it back to bone stock. 

At least there's a back-out plan if it doesn't work.

But it's nice to see some optimism here.  Lots of people being negative nancies. :nervous:
Matt - Syracuse, NY

2016 White Amethyst FLHXSE.
117 SE drop-in kit.
Jackpot 2:1:2, V&H 450 Titans.

2018 Arctic White Corvette Grand Sport
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 26

Page created in 0.164 seconds with 20 queries.