Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Rear Tires for 2011 Road Glide Ultra  (Read 6881 times)

CJB2011

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • FL

Rear Tires for 2011 Road Glide Ultra
« on: January 30, 2016, 10:13:26 AM »

Does anyone have a suggestion  for a good tire for my bike. I'm going to change them in the near future. Michelin does not make a rear tire, but does make the front. Can I change the size to 200mm or something else. I have Pirelli Night dragon front and rear.

CJB2011

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • FL

Any help on rear tires
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2016, 05:34:51 PM »

I have a 2011 ultru road glide. I'm trying to see if there is another option for the rear tire other than Dunlop.

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
Re: Any help on rear tires
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2016, 07:56:48 PM »

Why?

dayne66

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • BC

• CVO1: '12 Ruby/Typhoon SG
    • CVO2: '15 Superior Blue FLD Switchback
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2016, 08:02:38 PM »

Longevity, not cupping, and not being held hostage by the MOCO....for three!
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." Socrates

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2016, 08:16:01 PM »

The Dunlop 180/55B18 80H has had no approved alternatives until just recently.  Dunlop just recently released the American Elite version of that tire, and Metzler is in the process of releasing a new ME888 Ultra in the 180/55B18 size that supposedly will be a satisfactory replacement.  I haven't seen the load rating for the Metzler yet since information on the tire is still scarce.  Everything else out there in that size is designed for smaller sport bikes, without the proper load rating for your Touring model.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

Re: Rear Tires for 2011 Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2016, 08:27:48 PM »

Use the Dunlop, has the necessary weight rating and wear quality is great.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2016, 08:46:34 PM »

Does anyone have a suggestion  for a good tire for my bike. I'm going to change them in the near future. Michelin does not make a rear tire, but does make the front. Can I change the size to 200mm or something else. I have Pirelli Night dragon front and rear.

I answered part of this in the other thread you started (one of the moderators will most likely combine them, they prefer you not start multiple threads on the same subject).  Dunlop has just recently released the American Elite series replacement for the Harley branded 180/55B18 80H that came stock.  Metzler is supposedly releasing a new ME888 Ultra in the 180/55B18 size as well, but I haven't seen the load rating for that tire yet.

The Pirelli tire you have now does not meet the minimum load rating requirement for your bike.  You will find that to also be true for all the other 180/55-18 tires on the market from the other tire companies.  NEVER downgrade your tires.

As for going with a larger tire, I'm sure you could shoehorn a wider tire into the frame but you would have to replace the rim with a wider one.  There are no 200 series tires I'm aware of that can be used with your 18 x 5.0" rim.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

CJB2011

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • FL

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2016, 09:36:06 AM »

I answered part of this in the other thread you started (one of the moderators will most likely combine them, they prefer you not start multiple threads on the same subject).  Dunlop has just recently released the American Elite series replacement for the Harley branded 180/55B18 80H that came stock.  Metzler is supposedly releasing a new ME888 Ultra in the 180/55B18 size as well, but I haven't seen the load rating for that tire yet.

The Pirelli tire you have now does not meet the minimum load rating requirement for your bike.  You will find that to also be true for all the other 180/55-18 tires on the market from the other tire companies.  NEVER downgrade your tires.

As for going with a larger tire, I'm sure you could shoehorn a wider tire into the frame but you would have to replace the rim with a wider one.  There are no 200 series tires I'm aware of that can be used with your 18 x 5.0" rim.

Jerry

Thanks for the info Jerry. I'll check into the new dunlop. Also for the info on multiple threads. I the new guy and have to learn the rules.

North Star

• CANADA- Love it or Leave it
  • 1K CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2009 CVO Road Glide- Orange/Black
    • CVO2: 2015 Ducati Monter 821- Star White
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2016, 12:08:35 PM »

I  cant wait to try the new Dunlop American Elite 18" rear. I switched to the AE front awhile ago after going through 2 OEM fronts that developed cracked sidewalls. Had to buy an OEM rear last spring and it has already started cupping as usual.

I take it so far the new AE rear has been good?
2009 Screamin' Eagle Road Glide- Electric Orange/Vivid Black
GMR 113", GMR 600 cams, Fullac DX & Kuryakyn Crushers, SE Heavy Breather, tuned by "Dyno Dave" Stoddart
Jagg 10 row fan assisted oil cooler
Axeo Legends/Ohlins 3-3/True Track front and rear
C&C Fastback seat w/orange flame stitching & a Le Pera Maverick
PYO Monkey Bars- 10"
Freedom Shields 12" light grey
Hawg Wired "six pack"amp/speakers, Iron Cross ipod interface
HD Daymaker headlights
Detachable King Tour Pak in Electric Orange

North Star

• CANADA- Love it or Leave it
  • 1K CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2009 CVO Road Glide- Orange/Black
    • CVO2: 2015 Ducati Monter 821- Star White
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2016, 12:09:47 PM »

Longevity, not cupping, and not being held hostage by the MOCO....for three!

Great answer. Not to mention the AEis much cheaper....for four!
2009 Screamin' Eagle Road Glide- Electric Orange/Vivid Black
GMR 113", GMR 600 cams, Fullac DX & Kuryakyn Crushers, SE Heavy Breather, tuned by "Dyno Dave" Stoddart
Jagg 10 row fan assisted oil cooler
Axeo Legends/Ohlins 3-3/True Track front and rear
C&C Fastback seat w/orange flame stitching & a Le Pera Maverick
PYO Monkey Bars- 10"
Freedom Shields 12" light grey
Hawg Wired "six pack"amp/speakers, Iron Cross ipod interface
HD Daymaker headlights
Detachable King Tour Pak in Electric Orange

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2016, 09:24:38 PM »

I got 15K out of my original one on my SERG (Same size), had no cupping and the other statement makes no sense. You bought a HD, if you have to replace the ECM who will you go to, Yamaha? I see no difference in a tire.

Para Bellum

• Si vis pacem, para bellum.
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 Canyon Copper FXSTSSE, '08 Crystal Copper SEUC
    • CVO2: '11 Slate/Blk SERGU, '18 Twisted Cherry RGU
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2016, 10:06:49 PM »

You bought a HD, if you have to replace the ECM who will you go to, Yamaha?
No, I would probably choose the ThunderMax ECM over the Yamaha version.   ;)  Or you could go straight to Delphi to get an exact replacement.  For that matter, HD didn't make the original tires, oil, lights, or wiring; did they make the seats, handlebars, frames, brakes, hoses, etc?

http://www.thunder-max.com/Products/ThunderMaxEFISystems309-362.aspx

So the question is, what makes the bike a Harley if 90% of the new bike wasn't made by MoCo, and when have we substituted enough parts that it's now a "John Doe" motorcycle, even if the tank badge says Harley?  Is it still a Harley if it has an S&S engine and a Baker tranny?
« Last Edit: January 31, 2016, 10:14:48 PM by Para Bellum »
If you want peace, prepare for war.

dayne66

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • BC

• CVO1: '12 Ruby/Typhoon SG
    • CVO2: '15 Superior Blue FLD Switchback
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2016, 10:49:25 PM »

I got 15K out of my original one on my SERG (Same size), had no cupping and the other statement makes no sense. You bought a HD, if you have to replace the ECM who will you go to, Yamaha? I see no difference in a tire.
Damn...I guess I'll wait for JEEP to start making tires.....
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." Socrates

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Roman Gold/Burnt Emerald
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2016, 01:48:21 PM »

before i bought my cvo, i was able to pick up a set of chrome agitators for my 2010.  the wheels both had tires and rotors included.  the rear was a 200 dunlop.  think it was stock on either a vrod or softail.  looked good as hell.  i ran it for a couple thousand miles until i bought the cvo, then i gave them to my wife for her bike.  that was when i took the wheel in and had the hd dunlop oem tire put on it.  it's one thing for me to take 'shortcuts', but not going to do that to the wife.  it was not a multi tread tire so it was wearing fast, and no, it didn't meet the load rating requirements either.  but it sure did look good.
I understand the concept of reality, but find it too confining as a way of life

TonyP

• Tony P
  • Junior CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 2013 CVO SERK
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2016, 07:31:18 AM »

you can do a 17 x 6.25 rear wheel with a 200 tire without mods to your bike.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.171 seconds with 24 queries.