Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10  All

Author Topic: Harley workers to go on strike  (Read 15661 times)

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE
    • CVO3: 2002 FXDWG3
Re: Harley workers to go on strike
« Reply #105 on: February 08, 2007, 10:41:40 AM »

There have always been new model year bikes in the dealers by August.

The MoCo has moved their production dates to adjust with stock and build requirements.  In the 100th Anniversary Year they ran two months longer than normal  to take advantage of the Anniversary demand.  So June would be the standard turnover time for the model year production.  They can however adjust it some depending on dealer days supply if it is too high they most likely just switch earlier to the new model year and don't over build at the end of a year.

A press release stated, "MILWAUKEE (July 13, 2002) - The 2003 Harley-Davidson 100th Anniversary motorcycles celebrate a century of time-tested motorcycle innovation by an American original. The 100th Anniversary model motorcycles capture the balance between form and function, blending timeless beauty with the right technical innovations Harley-Davidson customers want. No other model-year in the history of Harley-Davidson has been more anticipated. To try to meet demand, Harley-Davidson will extend production of 2003 motorcycles by two months, resulting in a 14-month production schedule that will end in September 2003."

CVOwner

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #106 on: February 08, 2007, 01:58:36 PM »

Here we go! they'll be movin the MOCO to Mexico and nobody will be makin nothin!
2004 SEEG Orange/Black
When all is said and done, there'll be more said, then done!

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #107 on: February 08, 2007, 02:28:03 PM »

Hot off the press

In other developments, Harley-Davidson reported that as a result of the strike in Pennsylvania, it expects to reduce production of engines and transmissions (powertrains) at the Company’s facility in Menomonee Falls, Wis. The Company also expects to reduce production of injection-molded components at its facilities in Tomahawk, Wis.

The Company anticipates that reduced powertrain production could result in temporary layoffs for up to 500 of its approximately 1,500 production and distribution employees in southeast Wisconsin. Reduced components production in Tomahawk could result in temporary layoffs for up to 240 of the approximately 360 production employees who work there.

Layoffs at the Menomonee Falls and Tomahawk facilities could start as early as the week of February 12 for some employees. The Company has sought voluntary layoffs and will implement additional non-voluntary layoffs as needed.

The Company is disappointed by the decision of its union employees in York to strike and regrets the temporary impact the strike may have on some of its Wisconsin employees and its extensive supplier network.

Harley-Davidson’s facility in Menomonee Falls produces “Big Twin” powertrains – the largest of the Company’s engines and transmissions – used in motorcycles assembled in York and Kansas City. The Company’s facilities in Tomahawk produce windshields, fairings, saddlebags, Tour Paks and other components used on motorcycles assembled in York and Kansas City. Motorcycle sidecars are also produced in Tomahawk.

During the strike, the Wisconsin facilities will stop building powertrains and injection-molded components for shipment to the assembly plant in York.

The Company’s powertrain plant in Wauwatosa, Wis., is not expecting reduced production at this time.

The snowball effect :-X  By them cutting back on production of the powertrains and injected parts, that means the line of touring  bikes will be delayed even more once the strike is resolved because of having to ramp up the two Wisconsin plants to start producing for York again.  Don't you just love single points of failure?  :-\
Cheers :2vrolijk_21:,
Red

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

DavidB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #108 on: February 08, 2007, 07:58:36 PM »

The next thing ya know the PA unions will try and get the Wis Unions to do a sympathy strike.

TCinVA

• Elite CVO Member
  • FINALLY!

• CVO1: 2007 B&O FLHTCUSE2
« Reply #109 on: February 08, 2007, 08:42:21 PM »

Bubba, Howie, Red,
Thanks guys for the words of encouragement.  I'm hoping to hear good news in the next couple of weeks - strike over, production firing back up, maybe still see the B&O in April.  My mom's always said - everything happens for the best.  The bike that was supposed to ship on 2 March was probably going to be a Friday bike anyway  ;D.
Bubba, thanks for the offer, I'll certainly keep it in mind.  Where are you located anyway?  I grew up in Hopkinsville.  Mom still lives there.  If the B&O deal doesn't come together, I'd still like to drop by to visit next time I'm in the Bluegrass state (I mean commonwealth)...
The later note about the production year has me a bit concerned as well.  Just have to see how things play out.
Thanks again guys - great "family" here,
Tony 

KentuckyHarleyDude

• Banned
  • Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #110 on: February 08, 2007, 09:12:51 PM »

Bubba, Howie, Red,
Thanks guys for the words of encouragement.  I'm hoping to hear good news in the next couple of weeks - strike over, production firing back up, maybe still see the B&O in April.  My mom's always said - everything happens for the best.  The bike that was supposed to ship on 2 March was probably going to be a Friday bike anyway  ;D.
Bubba, thanks for the offer, I'll certainly keep it in mind.  Where are you located anyway?  I grew up in Hopkinsville.  Mom still lives there.  If the B&O deal doesn't come together, I'd still like to drop by to visit next time I'm in the Bluegrass state (I mean commonwealth)...
The later note about the production year has me a bit concerned as well.  Just have to see how things play out.
Thanks again guys - great "family" here,
Tony 

Tony we are in the down town thriving metropolis of Paducah Kentucky  :bananarock:

Bubba
" Why Johnny Ringo ...you look like somone just ..walked across your grave"

TCinVA

• Elite CVO Member
  • FINALLY!

« Reply #111 on: February 09, 2007, 02:16:20 PM »

Tony we are in the down town thriving metropolis of Paducah Kentucky  :bananarock:

Bubba

Bubba,
That was my guess.  I've been to the shop a number of times over the years.  Next time I'm down to visit my mom in "Hoptown", I'll certainly make a point of visiting.
Thanks again for the thoughts and keep me posted,
Tony

HogBreath

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2009 cvo roadglide
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO StreetKing
« Reply #112 on: February 09, 2007, 02:20:24 PM »

Bubba,
That was my guess.  I've been to the shop a number of times over the years.  Next time I'm down to visit my mom in "Hoptown", I'll certainly make a point of visiting.
Thanks again for the thoughts and keep me posted,
Tony

And Tony,

I know bubba personally. He's doing my work for MSRP  (just giving a little dig) PLUS giving me a tee-shirt! Good people.
It's not the destination. It's the Journey.

SilverDawg

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #113 on: February 09, 2007, 07:15:14 PM »

Hey Hogbreath,

You need to change your info in your sig block.  It says 2006 B/O SEUC...me thinks that should be 2007!!! ???

Also, don't mess with my man Bubba...He is taking care of me ;D
2008 FLHTCU Candy Red Sunglo -ABS/Security/SERT/V&H ovals
2008 FXCWC - Pacific Blue Pearl Deluxe-SOLD

The poster formally known as Cobaltman...

"As I grow older, I pay less attention to what men say.  I just watch what they do." - Andrew Carnegie

HogBreath

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #114 on: February 09, 2007, 08:46:08 PM »

Hey Hogbreath,

You need to change your info in your sig block.  It says 2006 B/O SEUC...me thinks that should be 2007!!! ???

Also, don't mess with my man Bubba...He is taking care of me ;D

How do ya like my signature now? *striking a pose*

Bubba and I are tight! LOL

TCinVA

• Elite CVO Member
  • FINALLY!

« Reply #115 on: February 10, 2007, 08:27:51 AM »

And Tony,

I know bubba personally. He's doing my work for MSRP  (just giving a little dig) PLUS giving me a tee-shirt! Good people.

Sounds like a straight up guy.  Most of us folk from Kentucky are that way  :).  You just gotta' love those T-shirts. :huepfenlol2:
Tony

KentuckyHarleyDude

• Banned
  • Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #116 on: February 10, 2007, 08:57:46 AM »

And Tony,

HB pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeee you'll make my head swell ...not to mention ruin my reputation as a "stealer" that I have unknowingly aquired LOL ... all kidding aside we do appreciate your patronage  :2vrolijk_21:

Bubba
" Why Johnny Ringo ...you look like somone just ..walked across your grave"

SilverDawg

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #117 on: February 10, 2007, 09:35:19 AM »

From the Washington Times on 2/10/07

...A strike at Harley-Davidson Inc.'s manufacturing and assembly plant in York, Pa., has entered its second week, with no new talks scheduled between management and the workers' union, the union said yesterday.
    Harley-Davidson says the strike at its largest assembly plant will cause it to miss a first-quarter target of shipping as many as 84,000 motorcycles.
    As a result of the strike, the company says it has reduced production of engines, transmissions and other components at facilities in Menomonee Falls and Tomahawk, Wis.
    Layoffs could begin as soon as Monday at some facilities, the Milwaukee company says.
    First-quarter shipments likely will be at least 5,500 short because of the strike, Banc of America Securities analyst Michael Savner wrote in a research note.
    The loss in revenue from the strike could cost the company up to $11 million a day, said Tim Conder, a leisure analyst with AG Edwards & Sons.
    Almost 2,800 workers at the York facility last week voted to walk off the job Feb. 2 after rejecting a contract offer from the company that would have reduced pay rates for new hires, required employees to pay part of their health insurance premiums and forced pension concessions.
    The International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers, the union representing the York workers, calls the work-stoppage a "lockout" because it says the company barred employees from entering the plant before the strike was to begin.
    Two days of negotiations between the company and the union ended Wednesday with no resolution, union and company spokesmen said.
    About 450 nonunion employees in York continue to work, the company says.
    The York facility primarily manufactures Harley-Davidson's Touring and Softail model motorcycles.
    Some analysts predict the strike won't last much longer.
    "The strike could continue another two weeks and still allow Harley to make up for lost production later in 2007," Robin Farley, a New York-based analyst for UBS Securities, wrote yesterday in a note to investors. She estimated quarterly earnings would be reduced by 1 cent a share for each day of the strike.
    In November, 1,600 union workers in the Milwaukee area approved contract concessions that Harley-Davidson demanded to proceed with a $120 million plant expansion. Members of United Steelworkers of America initially rejected the proposals, which included lower wages for new employees and a decrease in health insurance, pensions and cost-of-living adjustments for all workers.
    Shares of Harley-Davidson fell $1.56, or 2.25 percent, to close at $67.80 on the New York Stock Exchange
2008 FLHTCU Candy Red Sunglo -ABS/Security/SERT/V&H ovals
2008 FXCWC - Pacific Blue Pearl Deluxe-SOLD

The poster formally known as Cobaltman...

"As I grow older, I pay less attention to what men say.  I just watch what they do." - Andrew Carnegie

HogBreath

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #118 on: February 10, 2007, 10:06:40 AM »

HB pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeee you'll make my head swell ...not to mention ruin my reputation as a "stealer" that I have unknowingly aquired LOL ... all kidding aside we do appreciate your patronage  :2vrolijk_21:

Bubba

Bubba, you got your reputation ALL by yourself! LOL. Besides, I can't say you stole from me, I haven't paid you yet. HEY, check and see if my pipes came in or not. They were thinking they'd be in by Friday. Not that I'm in a hurry, It's too cold to ride.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #119 on: February 10, 2007, 10:51:37 AM »

Bubba, you got your reputation ALL by yourself! LOL. Besides, I can't say you stole from me, I haven't paid you yet. HEY, check and see if my pipes came in or not. They were thinking they'd be in by Friday. Not that I'm in a hurry, It's too cold to ride.

Hey Hb, you better be careful man, he's still tuning your bike. Don't you know not to piss-off your waiter before he serves your food. You wait til afterwards (unless you like eating spit)! ;D ;D ;D Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10  All

Page created in 0.225 seconds with 21 queries.