Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Author Topic: Daytona Bike Week observation  (Read 9804 times)

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

Re: Daytona Bike Week observation
« Reply #30 on: March 17, 2016, 12:03:39 AM »

Love the comments that people don't care about other people's opinions but the have to state thier opinion, why is that?

Interesting to me is the people that dress / behaive / talk / walk like a biker but don't ride more than a few thousand miles in a year. 

There are bikers and there are "people traveling with their bikes" and they are not to be confused.

I think that's tagged "expressing one's self", or it may be akin to "Freedom of speech", in this Country.  Furthermore, I wasn't aware there was a "milage quota" for one to qualify for the ranks of "Biker."  I, and everyone I ride with, have certainly paid our dues to be in that crowd. Some of us, more than others.  Make no mistake......none of us are confused.  Like most of us, I may do things a little different, and look a little different now, than I did in the 70's, but still the same Ol' Creek-Boy Biker.  Like now, I shower and shave regularly, I wash my jeans, (used to be proud of my "Slicks!"), my Bike is legal, (and relatively dependable), I don't carry steel-knucks, or a ball-peen anymore, I carry a Side-Arm, legally, I earned the money I have in my pocket, legally, and there are no Warrants out on me that say....."Time of apprehension....."When Seen."  And today, I can afford a Trailer, which I use mostly to get chit stirred up when I arrive at a GTG!  So..........don't think everybody trailering their Motorsickle is a wannabe.  There endeth the lesson.  Later--HUBBARD               
« Last Edit: March 21, 2016, 02:24:09 PM by HUBBARD »
2012 FLHTCUSE7  (Electric Orange/Black)  Built Motor (124), D&D "Borzilla" Exhaust, Tilley/K&N Air Induction,
"National President"-"Hillbilly Rocket Riders", MC, Mother Chapter, WV
"National President"-"W.H.O.R.E", TPT, WV Chapter

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #31 on: March 17, 2016, 12:19:05 AM »

It was a few years ago now.....at one of the GTGs I walked up on a conversation where I heard a guy say "it's like these people that post that they rode 800 or 1000 miles in a day.  You know that's a bunch of BS.....nobody rides that far in a day".  I've done it more times than I can count and a number of times in the past 12-13 yrs with other members of this forum.  When I heard that conversation I just thought to myself "oh yee of little experience".....but I didn't say anything.

Hell, many times Andy and I have rolled out at 5 am and burned through a tank of gas before we even stop for breakfast.

I don't have to prove my riding experiences to another......just let them keep up, if they can.

Having said that....I've talked with a couple of these same members that I ride with often about the possability of trailering across the Mojave desert (the triple digit temps for 10-12 hours) next year for the MITM.  It's probably the only way I'll be able to make it cuz I'm no longer willing to get heat sick just because I want to go somewhere.  I'll still ride in the rain (when I have to), the cold (down around freezing....or even below, down in the teens), etc. but not the blistering heat.

Very well said. Agree with all your points here.  Have ridden more 1,000+ mile days than I can remember.  Longest was a 2,400 mile ride in 47 hours - straight. Wife & I have done over 700 mile days 2 up.  If you start early, keep at it, and all goes well, it's not as bad some may think it is.  Recall a few conversations with riders who said it was "impossible" for anyone to ride more than 500 or 700 miles in a day.  When I asked why, I learned that was as far as they had ever ridden.  I found that amusing.  Not the distance, the misconceptions are funny.

Heat can be extremely dangerous, especially in desert conditions.  We live in an area with regular torrential rains that can be deadly.  Have ridden in both, more times than I could count.  When on a long trip we just figure whether is better to wait it out or gut up & get it.  When home & just riding to some local spot & the weather is very bad - lately we choose not to ride.  Too many friends have had too many accidents for the risk to be worth it for us.

Trailering is an option for us that we use as we see fit.  I also find it amusing that some think they have The Answer & that they have the only best way.  Riders ride their own rides, the way they each prefer to ride them. 
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

HighOnHD

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WA

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE UV Blue/Molten Lava
« Reply #32 on: March 17, 2016, 12:41:55 AM »

1000 miles on the interstate... or how about the Baja 1000... been there done that in '96 and '97. For me it is more about the quality of the ride. I don't know off hand how many miles it is riding for example from Cody over Chief Joseph, Beartooth Highway to Red Bluff and back the same way to Cody. I don't think it is very far, but still a good days ride of high quality. Honestly I do everything I can to stay off the interstate. Sure it has to be taken, but it is generally the least enjoyable. Main thing is have a good time!

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #33 on: March 17, 2016, 07:13:52 AM »

Could it be due to the age of the riders?  If you look at the average age of the Harley rider it is pegging past double-nickles so that the aches and pains mentioned in previous posts are coming into play.

Did you only count the Harley riders or the rice burners too?  How about the NAH's (Not-A-Harley) big touring bikes like Victory, Indians, or Polaris?

It is called bike week so all bikes should count.

:oops: :nixweiss:
While many riders are aging, younger and younger guys are buying Touring bikes.  When I was in my 30's no one my age rode a bagger.  Today its very popular with 30 and 40 year olds.  I did count all bikes.

Hi Dave, don't get me wrong because like most are saying "to each their own", but I don't get it. How can you possibly be enjoying "the ride" while scanning every single trailer and counting every one of them while also counting how many are from each state and county, while also complaining about your GPS sending you in the wrong direction all the time? :nixweiss: Just saying.

I'm loving the ride, all 33250 miles on this bike so far.  Counting bike, trailers and such was an interesting observation. 

Actually two updates ago on the soft ware the Turn arrow issue was fixed.  Last radio up date the time zone issue was fixed along with the fluctuating volume.  I'm sure harley fixed those issues do the people complaining about them.  I'm glad they did. 
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #34 on: March 17, 2016, 07:22:44 AM »

Love the comments that people don't care about other people's opinions but the have to state thier opinion, why is that?

Interesting to me is the people that dress / behaive / talk / walk like a biker but don't ride more than a few thousand miles in a year. 

There are bikers and there are "people traveling with their bikes" and they are not to be confused.

In the fall of 12, I picked up my 13 CVO King on Thursday afternoon.  Monday morning I was having the 1000 mike service done with just over 1400 miles on it.  A guy was having the 1K done on is 1 year old Ultra. 

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #35 on: March 17, 2016, 07:24:51 AM »

Agreed. Like I said earlier, rain and cold I can take if properly dressed, but that Mojave desert gets harder on me every year. Last year John, Greg, Alan and I Came through Las Vegas with those Aqua Hydo vests. They made it bearable at 106 degrees. Not too sure if they would help in that damn Mojave. For me it's just not worth getting heat sick and passing out. I tried running at night or early in the morning and all I have to say is 118 degrees is 118 degrees, day or night. Only difference is that you don't have the sun beating down on you.

I fully agree, I would rather ride when its 35 degrees than 100 plus degrees.  The heat wears me out far faster.  Most worn out I have been was riding 7 hours in 100 degree heat.

Royalroadie

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • KS

« Reply #36 on: March 17, 2016, 08:42:23 AM »

It was a few years ago now.....at one of the GTGs I walked up on a conversation where I heard a guy say "it's like these people that post that they rode 800 or 1000 miles in a day.  You know that's a bunch of BS.....nobody rides that far in a day".  I've done it more times than I can count and a number of times in the past 12-13 yrs with other members of this forum.  When I heard that conversation I just thought to myself "oh yee of little experience".....but I didn't say anything.

Hell, many times Andy and I have rolled out at 5 am and burned through a tank of gas before we even stop for breakfast.

I don't have to prove my riding experiences to another......just let them keep up, if they can.

Having said that....I've talked with a couple of these same members that I ride with often about the possability of trailering across the Mojave desert (the triple digit temps for 10-12 hours) next year for the MITM.  It's probably the only way I'll be able to make it cuz I'm no longer willing to get heat sick just because I want to go somewhere.  I'll still ride in the rain (when I have to), the cold (down around freezing....or even below, down in the teens), etc. but not the blistering heat.

Yeah I spent a long trip across the Mohave desert in late May one year.  When I got back to LV I was sicker than a dog. Stopped every 30-45 minutes and drank Gatorade but it did not help.  That desert whip my butt.   It was a beautiful ride but not worth the price.  3 days in the desert was just too much.  I remember the thermometer on the bike read 120 after about 9am.  I am sure it was due to the heat of the black top but, still way to hot.  When I got back to LV the bike almost siezed on the Blvd. had to stop  on a sidewalk and let it cool down.  When the heat stroke set in I almost S*+= my pants, literally!
« Last Edit: March 17, 2016, 08:48:11 AM by Royalroadie »
V&H Power Dual Header
Rinehart 4"

RoadDawg

• RDMC
  • Elite CVO Member
    • SC

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Breakout
« Reply #37 on: March 18, 2016, 10:14:02 AM »

At first glace at this thread I thought folks trailered their bikes due primarily to age. Gotta say I now understand there are many good reasons why people trailer their bikes. Interesting thread. Great forum!
Bill - Greenville, South Carolina

2014 CVO Breakout
Hard Candy Sedona Sand & Blaze Orange with Black Abyss Graphics
117 Pro Race Kit
Ward Performance Heads
Bassani ProStreet Turnouts
124 HP 133 TQ

AMEDD_SFC

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2014 CVO Limited
    • TX

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited - The Big Red One
« Reply #38 on: March 18, 2016, 03:52:06 PM »

Lucky for me I can ride from here to hell and gone, still.  Wife, on the other hand, has limits (and common sense).  It is nearly impossible to go from Texas to either coast without running into inclement weather.  I've been caught in rain, hail, sleet and snow, and if I am never again out in the elements, it will be too soon.

More than one day's distance and we trailer. 

She did volunteer to follow me to the edges of the earth if I really felt like riding, however.  Just as long as there was a hotel room at the end!   Usurped my plans for a toy hauler, she did.  For now, I'll just rent an enclosed trailer for the long trips.

Cheers,

M

Mark B.
SFC, USA (RET)

oleman

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MD

« Reply #39 on: March 28, 2016, 04:30:54 PM »

Had to jump in here.  Bike or trailer, it don't matter, just get out on the road.  Trailered once to the west coast because of limited time off.   For the rest of my riding,  been two wheels on blacktop.  I have almost 400,000 clocked on Harleys since 1983.  Been in every state in lower 48 and much of Canada using secondary roads as much as possible.  You got to see and smell this country.  Didn't get to ride last year, had knee operation last March and hip replaced in October.  This year is gonna be different.  I'm leaving Maryland on April 18th for Texas and the gulf coast.  By the way, I am 71 years old. Keep riding.

Road Dad

• Senior CVO Member
    • MI

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited - 117 CU
« Reply #40 on: March 28, 2016, 05:14:04 PM »

400K in 32 years. Nicely done. Congrats!  Wish I could say I had done the same. Enjoy your ride this year and stay safe. Really nice to see someone that actually rides his bike!

Had to jump in here.  Bike or trailer, it don't matter, just get out on the road.  Trailered once to the west coast because of limited time off.   For the rest of my riding,  been two wheels on blacktop.  I have almost 400,000 clocked on Harleys since 1983.  Been in every state in lower 48 and much of Canada using secondary roads as much as possible.  You got to see and smell this country.  Didn't get to ride last year, had knee operation last March and hip replaced in October.  This year is gonna be different.  I'm leaving Maryland on April 18th for Texas and the gulf coast.  By the way, I am 71 years old. Keep riding.

HighOnHD

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WA

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE UV Blue/Molten Lava
« Reply #41 on: March 28, 2016, 11:27:14 PM »

I'm loving the ride, all 33250 miles on this bike so far.

That's awesome that you are loving the bike as well as being able to put that many miles (and time) on it. I have only been able to put half that many on my '15.

I am also very happy that HD has fixed the issues... that thread was ridiculously long and irritating for me to read all those unhappy campers. I just did not have all of those problems. I wonder if some of them were isolated to the non-FLHXSE bikes. For example, I never had an issue with the "fluctuating volume." Our bikes do have a different setup when it comes to the amps and speakers. Anyway, cheers and enjoy!
-Howard

WTF Chuck

• IBA 74296
  • 1K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 2012 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic Sold
    • CVO2: 2014 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic
    • CVO3: 2022 Screamin Eagle Road Glide Limited
    • Muck Cross Weather
« Reply #42 on: March 29, 2016, 10:22:14 AM »

As the  FenderBunny would say!!!  "Trailers are for boats Silly Wabbit"
 :huepfenjump3:

Fullsac DX Pipe  2" cores and screens
Dynojet  Power  Vision  Tuner
KST's
HARLEY 28 SPOKE CHROME WHEELS
Custom Dynamics Dynamic Ringz Magic Strobe-LTP
WHAT' S Next
Darkside
Ecsta PA31
195/60/16

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #43 on: March 29, 2016, 09:51:28 PM »

As the  FenderBunny would say!!!  "Trailers are for boats Silly Wabbit"
 :huepfenjump3:
Sticker on back of my full face helmet say "Silly Yuppie, Trailers are for Boats"  Have the patch also.  My oldest daughter bought me both.

BSCVO09

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #44 on: April 01, 2016, 06:36:11 PM »

I plan riding vacations or car vacations...not gonna trailer a bike just to ride around after I get there. If that's the case it is cheaper to rent a bike for a few days then trailering. That said if you want to trailer I couldn't care less if not great, but I have issue with some of the reasons. One is aches and pains, I don't get that as after 2 hours of riding or driving I am sore and things hurt so what is the difference. And two I have gotten to places just as fast as if I drove the car without a trailer, if I need to be there on a certain day I ride the 4 lane. But either way it's a great life style and until the day I just can't do it any longer I will ride. Bill
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Page created in 0.236 seconds with 25 queries.