Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: In need of HD Ipod interface advice/tech help  (Read 410 times)

salikeitis

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MA

In need of HD Ipod interface advice/tech help
« on: April 16, 2016, 09:52:51 AM »

Hi everyone...

This is my first post and I tried to search other threads first but no success. I am hoping someone can help me.

I have a 2011 street glide..I recently changed out my broken HD radio with an aftermarket radio that has a USB plug front and rear.  I went to a place on line that offers the whole package as far as the installation kit. When ordering and speaking with the rep, I asked if the ipod interface that I paid a lot for would still be live with the thinking that I could keep it as a charger for a phone since the line was already run into my bag and there was already a hole in my bag that is larger than the USB. He said it would be live.. it wouldnt be recognized but what I was trying to do would work.  I get the kit install the radio.. noticed a plug originally for the old radio had no home... called him back and he said that this is ok just tie it .. I did and the radio worked great...

Here is where I went wrong.  I took the tank off ran the USB to bag.. put another hole in the bag.. placed a grommet for the new hole heat wrapped it all.. made it nice.. plug both my phone and the ipod in before I put the tank back and found that there is no power coming from the interface... so I basically didn't check for power before I went and ran everything..

Here is the question.. Because everything was already ran for the old interface.. is there a way to get power to the ipod interface to include it turning off when radio or bike is off..I dont know the color code for this harness.. or should I just take the whole interface out (see if its worth anything to someone) and run a USB power adapter off the cigarette lighter and run it through the old hole.. in looking at other bikes I see that there are a lot of unused wires now sitting there..Where I have a amp theres not much room.. my problem is not sure which is which.. I know I can follow the harness coming out of the interface and figure it out but before I do I was wondering if anyone had knowledge here and give me some advice as to what would be the best course to take. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks

Josh
« Last Edit: April 16, 2016, 12:54:53 PM by salikeitis »

Page created in 0.131 seconds with 24 queries.