Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6  All

Author Topic: Dunflops  (Read 16716 times)

Ridgerunr

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TN

Dunflops
« on: April 25, 2016, 07:35:06 PM »

I never liked Dunlop tires since HD started using them, especially in the rain. When I got my CVO I was pleasantly surprised how well they handled, even in the rain. Well they still suck, tires have 7000 miles on them and have cupped badly. I'm a stickler for checking air pressure (check every week), and using the right amount of pressure. Dealer says he see's more than he should. Dunlop offered no reason when I showed them the photo. Front tire just as bad.
2004 Roadglide 113" (sold)
2014 CVO RoadKing
2015 RGS

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 YELLOW!!
Re: Dunflops
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2016, 10:25:17 PM »

Just pulled a front with the same problem. Giving the Elites a try
Most great stores start with a bad decision

Joel

• 1K CVO Member
    • WA

• CVO1: 2015 CVO LIMITED
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2016, 10:29:20 PM »

Summer 2012 I had a very similar tire pattern developed at about 6000 miles and when I talk to the dealer about it they said they would get a factory representative to look at it to make a decision, when he said there was nothing wrong with it I asked why it was making so much noise while I was riding the bike and that if a tire is making noise that it must be creating resistance and resistance will lead to a overheated Tire which would eventually create a failure and that if he would put it in writing that there is absolutely nothing wrong with the tire so that when it blows out while I'm on the highway I can show it to my attorney, later that day when I went pick the bike up it had a brand new tire on it, you might try something like that then see what they say
Always keep 2 feet away from your shadow

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2016, 11:52:21 PM »

Y'all are getting more miles out of tires than I ever have!  The picture may reflect what you call cupping, but I call that hi-speed flat spots.  They attribute to the High-Speed Wobble, too.   Don't know how you ride, but it fits the bill for me.  Maybelle had 2900 miles on her when we put the Big Motor to her.  I don't do burn-outs, but big torque has definitely shortened rear tire life on my Bikes over the years.  As for Tire Brands, I've tried Avons and Metgzers, but I always come back to Dunlop.  To me, Dunlops grip better than the others I've tried.   Later--HUBBARD 
2012 FLHTCUSE7  (Electric Orange/Black)  Built Motor (124), D&D "Borzilla" Exhaust, Tilley/K&N Air Induction,
"National President"-"Hillbilly Rocket Riders", MC, Mother Chapter, WV
"National President"-"W.H.O.R.E", TPT, WV Chapter

Ridgerunr

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TN

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2016, 07:41:26 AM »

I don't do burnouts, but ride aggressive as I live near the Dragon. Just going to the store involves a lot of twisties, but Avons or Michelin Commanders never did this.

Don't know yet if I'll try the AE or Michelin. Not sure if Michelin makes a 130/60/19 front.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2016, 08:04:02 AM by Ridgerunr »
2014 CVO RoadKing
2015 RGS

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2016, 08:06:30 AM »

It's an all-to-common complaint for many folks since Dunlop/Harley went to the D407 and D408 tires, and it appears to be one that neither company will step up to and address.  That last part doesn't surprise me at all btw.

I'll be interested in hearing reports from the guys who have had this issue if and when they try the newly released Dunlop branded replacement from the American Elite series.  That tire has a Dunlop designed tread pattern, versus the one Harley insisted on for the Harley branded parts.  While most of us probably suspect a tire design issue, the bike itself can cause the same kind of wear.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Royalroadie

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • KS

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2016, 02:30:15 PM »

I never liked Dunlop tires since HD started using them, especially in the rain. When I got my CVO I was pleasantly surprised how well they handled, even in the rain. Well they still suck, tires have 7000 miles on them and have cupped badly. I'm a stickler for checking air pressure (check every week), and using the right amount of pressure. Dealer says he see's more than he should. Dunlop offered no reason when I showed them the photo. Front tire just as bad.

I just replace the rear tire at 10K, it was cupped even worse.  Flat in the center and cupped on both sides.   I always check my pressures.  I am not sure if it is because I get on it every now and then or that I usually have about 300 lbs of load on the bike most of the time.  It sure is sad that I tire will not last 15K-20K.
V&H Power Dual Header
Rinehart 4"

RayG

• "What the hell was I thinking?"
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHRSE4
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2016, 03:45:41 PM »

I have had the same scalloping issues that has been mentioned.  I totally agree with Hubbard on his assessment on what he calls hi speed flat spots.  Like Hubbard and Ridgerunr I don't do burn outs since I need to save the tire for the cornering I enjoy.  I have the S&S 124 so I expect tires life to have a shorter life. 

Prior to this new post I called Dunlop yesterday and left a detailed message on the scalloping issues I have within the 2,500 to 3,000 mile mark.  I told him they start distorting around 3,000 miles and progressively get worse.  I continue to try to get some extra mileage by trying to ignore the loud & bumpy characteristics.  I also have to be extra cautious when cornering as the tire get worse.  While I was reading this post Dave Johnson from Dunlop returned my call this morning to address the issues I was having with the tires.  I also asked him to check our forum out and get to this post where he could see a tiny sampling of what we have been dealing with.  His advise was to keep the air pressure @ 42 PSI at all times for all conditions.  He was aware of the issue but his belief was aggressive riding will make the sections of the tire lift as it seeks traction if you are heavy on the throttle.  By the way the D408 on my SERK are rated for 938 pounds and the Michelin brand was 783 pounds.  I forgot what the Metzler' were rated for but after using 2 rear tires and one front in one summer I found them to ride to harsh and not grip as well on sharp corners.  As I mentioned on a previous thread the carcass is not as stiff as the Dunlop's which is why I think they want more air pressure than Harley recommends.  The Dunlop rep did mention that the bias tire sizes would fit the front but told me he had no knowledge of anyone using them.  I'm sure he didn't want to encourage what some have been doing for some time.   

There is no winning on this one, pick your poison and live with your choice.   The only thing I like about Metzler's is they are much easier to mount on my No-Mar unit.  I believe Jerry has added his accurate insight on just about every post regarding out limited tire choice.  When Jerry gets on the Forum with news about a replacement for us I'll jump on board.  Until then I will have to live with the Dunlop's.         

There was a write up on tire wear from BMW a while back, I'll see if I can find it and post it so you can read it.   

Ridgerunr

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TN

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2016, 04:55:57 PM »

Ray do you have a number for Dave Johnson? PM me if you don't want it out.
In addition to my 2014 CVO RK I have a 2015 Roadglide Special. Same front tire, but a 16" rear. That bike has over 10,000 miles on it no cupping on either front or rear. That bike got ridden to Sturgis fully loaded, 2 up at 80-85 mph, I would say that's fairly aggressive. IMO Dunlop has a manufacturing problem they won't own. And neither will HD. On my 2004 Roadglide (smaller rear and 16" front) I routinely got 13-14 K from a rear Avon. Michelin Commanders went almost 15K, and way back when Metzlers were made in Germany, got 14K from them. The tire wear on my CVO is unacceptable. 
2014 CVO RoadKing
2015 RGS

RayG

• "What the hell was I thinking?"
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHRSE4
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2016, 06:14:39 PM »

Ridgerunr

I just did a Google search for the info but it is www.dunlopmotorcycletire.com / tel# 800-845-8378.  We all agree there is a problem with the exception of the folks @ Dunlop.  Consider convincing them they have a problem as you would approach a Harley Dealership with a well known failure only to be told they are unaware of any problems.  I can only speak to what I have personally witnessed.  I see many bikes with just a small percentage of the rear tire being used, casual Sunday riders.  I call them huge chicken strips,  when I look at my rear tire I see most of the tire being used, but not as much as my FJR.  I have already raised my bike and have was taught by a very patient & superior rider than I will ever be to move my body for more clearance and less chance of scrapping parts.  He felt sorry that I had to replaced my floorboards and the support arms due to scrapping.   

If you ride at high speeds within the load limit you will probably be alright depending on the temp the tire gets to.  When you start diving fast & hard into corners, straighten out quickly while exiting your turn while on the throttle that is when we are asking our touring tires to act like sport-bike tires.  There is allot of flexing from side to side as it seeks to stay in contact with the road surface.  I ride alone because I probably drive like Hubbard and a few others.  Lets be honest some ride to be in the open air and some others ride for the adrenalin.  We ride our own ride.  I never go nuts in a residential area, we all know roads in our area that seems to call out to us every now and then.  You are living in an area that few are lucky enough to enjoy, I'm sure you have some private roads that you know very well and feel comfortable riding hard when you get the urge. 

I do agree that it is unacceptable but are we not accepting it when ever we purchase another propriety part developed by a sharp marketing ploy? 

I believe Jerry has mentioned this many times but until we can make enough noise so the problem gets addressed or another manufacturer get's into the game we will stay very limited with our choices. 

Let us know how you make out, this could get interesting. 

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2016, 01:53:42 PM »

His advise was to keep the air pressure @ 42 PSI at all times for all conditions.   

I'll try this in the future.  I've always ran 40 in the rear and 38 in the front.  Later--HUBBARD
2012 FLHTCUSE7  (Electric Orange/Black)  Built Motor (124), D&D "Borzilla" Exhaust, Tilley/K&N Air Induction,
"National President"-"Hillbilly Rocket Riders", MC, Mother Chapter, WV
"National President"-"W.H.O.R.E", TPT, WV Chapter

KC2GIW

• RUB
  • Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NY

• CVO1: 2016 White Amethyst CVO Street Glide
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2016, 04:49:45 PM »

Anyone ever correlated rider weight with tread life on the Dunlops? 

Seems like there's so many differing experiences with the same tire.

I'm not a pro by any means but I've never seen a badly cupped rear tire in person.
Matt - Syracuse, NY

2016 White Amethyst FLHXSE.
117 SE drop-in kit.
Jackpot 2:1:2, V&H 450 Titans.

2018 Arctic White Corvette Grand Sport

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

• CVO1: 2011 Slate/Black SERGU** traded
    • CVO2: 2015 Double Blue SERGU
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG Blue
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2016, 07:07:10 PM »

Anyone ever correlated rider weight with tread life on the Dunlops? 

Seems like there's so many differing experiences with the same tire.

I'm not a pro by any means but I've never seen a badly cupped rear tire in person.
You've got a really good point with this. There's so many variables and we're all comparing the same tire on the similar weight bikes and such.  Someone that commutes a lot on the highway one up will see different results than a 2up commute on the highway or a 1up on back roads even. Rider weight, amount of crap in the bags, 2up touring trips on the slab or twisties...... It can go on for days trying to build that data base.

If you were closer, I'd have been more than happy to show you the badly cupped rear tire I just changed out last week. :drink:
PHOTOBUCKET IS HOLDING MY PIX HOSTAGE!!!

Ridgerunr

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TN

« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2016, 07:24:20 PM »

I've been riding Harley Davidsons for over 40 years. My weight has fluctuated 50 lbs over the years. I've never experienced this level of cupping until now. When I moved to East Tenn. I had Avons on my bike a 2004 113" Roadglide. When I needed tires Avons were back ordered so I went with Michelin Comm II. Neither tire cupped between Interstate touring and riding the Dragon often. Now I have 2 new bikes, riding style the same,  my body weight difference 5 lbs. I contend it's a design flaw.
2014 CVO RoadKing
2015 RGS

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '01 FXDWG2 RED 103 6sp
    • CVO2: '05 FLHTCSE2 CHERRY
    • CVO3: '09 FLTRSE3 YELLOW 117/DD7
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2016, 10:37:22 PM »

40 years on HDs this year, I'm only on my 4th, 5th, & 6th HDs, have run pretty much all the major brand tires over the years...

The '09 SERG is the only tire / bike that has ever cupped... Hell, I'd never even seen a cupped m/c tire until I got the '09...

Trying to make the current set of the factory Dunlops last until the C IIs are in full production, if the factory Dunlops drive me nuts before then, I'll try the AEs...
"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6  All

Page created in 0.21 seconds with 24 queries.