Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Heat from the 110  (Read 5134 times)

greglyon

• 1K CVO Member
  • 2013 FLHRSE5
    • AZ

• CVO1: FLHRSE5
    • Phillips and Lyon LLC
Heat from the 110
« on: May 16, 2016, 01:49:28 PM »

I know this topic has been discussed and the conclusion seems to be, more gas to air but I am wondering if there are other good solutions.  I have the 2013 CVO RK with Rinehart true duals without Cat converter.  I have installed the mid frame heat deflectors (waste of money) to no avail.  Living in Arizona  makes a bad situation worse.   

On another bike, I wrapped the headers under the heat shield but have since learned that's a no-no due to moisture being trapped and rusting out the pipes.

"A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory"

9 1/2 Beers

• Blu
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4 (ZIGGY) Stardust Silver / Twilight Blue
    • CVO2: 2022 Ultra Limited FLHTK Reef Blue / Vivid Black
Re: Heat from the 110
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2016, 02:06:00 PM »

http://www.jagg.com/751-FP2400.html

This helped me, but a good tune is key  :2vrolijk_21:

Marty
"Let the road go on forever and the party never end "

rockytop117

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TN

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2016, 02:48:29 PM »

Tune the bike as it's very lean from the factory & it will make worlds difference!
11 SERG.
117ci
570G S&S
RB RACING 2-1
SE 58MM TB
HPI INJECTORS
WFO LARRY HEADS
COMP 10:2 CCP 190
DIRECT LINK TUNE BY STROKERJLK
SAE128.09/STD131.32 HP  TQ135.89 std 139.31
RC COMPONENTS WHEELS & A/C
VPC 92 CLUTCH
FOSGATE AMP, FOCAL SPEAKERS

SSTuner

• Senior CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 2016 CVO Pro Street Breakout
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2016, 05:14:00 AM »

Agree with getting it tuned.  To lean with the de-cat.  Tuning will richen it up and help with cooling.
Ray
2016 CVO Pro Street Breakout
Starfire Black

windjammer

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WI

• CVO1: 2015 FLHTKSE
    • CVO2: 2008 FXSTSSE2 sold
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2016, 06:11:20 AM »

Check out Wards Coolin Fans. They are awesome and with a good tune you are set.

ematicic

• Full CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 2013 Break Out
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2016, 08:47:50 AM »

I went with the JIMS fan since it had good reviews cooling off 120+ CC Engines. I also installed the oil cooler. Mine overheated to the point of shutting off, the tune made it a bit better but with all 3 I can get stuck in DC traffic and attend rallies without the fear of getting stranded. The IETMS (forget what the acronym is supposed to be where it cuts down to one cylinder) hardly kicks on when the fan is on. It kicked in before in about 5 minutes of stopped traffic, and the bike would stall out in 30 minutes after that.

Fullsac Performance

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Never ride with a Halfsac! Insist on Fullsac Perf!
    • AZ

• Fullsac Performance
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2016, 10:38:55 AM »

I know this topic has been discussed and the conclusion seems to be, more gas to air but I am wondering if there are other good solutions.  I have the 2013 CVO RK with Rinehart true duals without Cat converter.  I have installed the mid frame heat deflectors (waste of money) to no avail.  Living in Arizona  makes a bad situation worse.   

On another bike, I wrapped the headers under the heat shield but have since learned that's a no-no due to moisture being trapped and rusting out the pipes.

If your riding stop and go traffic on an air cooled bike, comfort is always going to be a challenge. If your heating issue is going down the road, carefully selected parts that favor bottom end TQ and proper tuning will make a world of difference. Guys tell me all the time they are not interested on more power, they just want to cool it off. The more bottom end TQ your motor makes, the easier it goes down the road, the cooler its going to run. More TQ early is always better on a 1000 pound motorcycle.

I attached a dyno from 110MOFOs 2015 CVO. 20 FT pound increase in TQ from 2k-3K rpm right were you ride. Exhaust and tuning, nothing more.
Does it run any cooler Marty? Lol

Steve@fullsac.com

Steve@fullsac.com  www.fullsac.com
Never argue with idiots. They will beat you with experience.

9 1/2 Beers

• Blu
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4 (ZIGGY) Stardust Silver / Twilight Blue
    • CVO2: 2022 Ultra Limited FLHTK Reef Blue / Vivid Black
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2016, 01:03:08 PM »

Believe me, I am happy  :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:
"Let the road go on forever and the party never end "

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2016, 01:23:26 PM »

Looks good Marty :drink:

greglyon

• 1K CVO Member
  • 2013 FLHRSE5
    • AZ

• CVO1: FLHRSE5
    • Phillips and Lyon LLC
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2016, 03:09:14 PM »

Thank you all for responding.  Some great ideas.  Cooling and more low end torque. Sounds like a win win!
"A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory"

brassspike

• Elite CVO Member
    • NC

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2016, 05:13:52 PM »

I'll have to swim against the stream on one point. I do use the DEI titanium wrap on my headers. IMHO the most heat is off those headers. No rust on my headers. I start the bike after I wash it anyway. The titanium wrap does not get brittle and is low odor. Motor is still 110 hot but much better on my "boys" in traffic!
Just added the wards fans. Impressed with them so far.
RETIRED! :fireman:

sroberds1

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MO

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2016, 12:34:16 AM »

Here is my solution on my 2015 Softail Deluxe CVO first I added an under the frame mounted oil cooler by Oilbud https://www.harleyoilcoolers.com/, then I installed 2000 degree reflective material on the underside of the Harley Davidson brand midframe heat deflectors, then I added the same material to the bottom of my seat, then I added cooling fans to the horn side of the engine which blows air through the cooling fins over the jugs, made by http://wardspartswerks.com/index.html
This has been the best solution so far, I still feel the heat but its much more tolorable now, where as before it was unbearable to even put my right leg down on the ground. The fans run when the engine gets to a certain temperature then  continue to run after you shut the bike off for about 10 to 15 minutes until it cools it down.

North Star

• CANADA- Love it or Leave it
  • 1K CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2009 CVO Road Glide- Orange/Black
    • CVO2: 2015 Ducati Monter 821- Star White
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2016, 10:39:01 AM »

Wow,lots of rigging up of nick nacks when for my bike, all Ive ever needed was a ceramic coated catless headpipe and most importantly, a proper tune. I also have a Jagg 10 row oil cooler, but that was icing on the cake.

I wonder how many with heat issues have a good dyno tune from a reputable tuner. Best $500 you will ever spend on your bike.
2009 Screamin' Eagle Road Glide- Electric Orange/Vivid Black
GMR 113", GMR 600 cams, Fullac DX & Kuryakyn Crushers, SE Heavy Breather, tuned by "Dyno Dave" Stoddart
Jagg 10 row fan assisted oil cooler
Axeo Legends/Ohlins 3-3/True Track front and rear
C&C Fastback seat w/orange flame stitching & a Le Pera Maverick
PYO Monkey Bars- 10"
Freedom Shields 12" light grey
Hawg Wired "six pack"amp/speakers, Iron Cross ipod interface
HD Daymaker headlights
Detachable King Tour Pak in Electric Orange

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2016, 02:47:52 PM »

I'll have to swim against the stream on one point. I do use the DEI titanium wrap on my headers. IMHO the most heat is off those headers. No rust on my headers. I start the bike after I wash it anyway. The titanium wrap does not get brittle and is low odor. Motor is still 110 hot but much better on my "boys" in traffic!
Just added the wards fans. Impressed with them so far.

How long have you had those headers wrapped? I ran mine wrapped for a year. When I went to remove it, it came off in chunks with shards of metal stuck to the wrap.  I'm not saying you will have the same issue, just keep an eye on it. I've been stuck in Wyoming with a cracked header pipe before. Luckily I found a muffler shop that was able to weld it for me. Got the Wards fans too. Love them!
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

brassspike

• Elite CVO Member
    • NC

« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2016, 12:00:52 AM »

How long have you had those headers wrapped? I ran mine wrapped for a year. When I went to remove it, it came off in chunks with shards of metal stuck to the wrap.  I'm not saying you will have the same issue, just keep an eye on it. I've been stuck in Wyoming with a cracked header pipe before. Luckily I found a muffler shop that was able to weld it for me. Got the Wards fans too. Love them!
I've run the wrap since mid 2012. Headers are Cobra. At first I ran the DEI regular wrap. It worked pretty good but any disturbance and it broke apart. Last time I used the titanium and that seems to do much better at durability. The headers have not cracked....yet.
After I get a good hot day ride in, I plan to post on the results of Wards fans and his oil thermostat change. Its not gotten really hot here so far but my oil temp is running 215 to 225 and it usually (now) runs 215-217 after a long ride at 65-75 mph. That would be a change of a good 30 degrees. Time will tell if that holds up. My tune is by Doc so I'm sure its the best that can be done on a stock motor.
RETIRED! :fireman:
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.158 seconds with 20 queries.