Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All

Author Topic: Pix of the new 107  (Read 17145 times)

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

• CVO1: 2011 Slate/Black SERGU** traded
    • CVO2: 2015 Double Blue SERGU
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG Blue
Re: Pix of the new 107
« Reply #45 on: July 25, 2016, 04:15:39 PM »

PHOTOBUCKET IS HOLDING MY PIX HOSTAGE!!!

LC110

• Elite CVO Member
    • WI

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 Stardust Silver / Titanium Dust 1of 1344
« Reply #46 on: July 25, 2016, 05:12:54 PM »

My info tells me, the new engine and suspension for 2017, all to debut on the new Sport Glide.
The really big changes to come in 2018. (New frame, New engines and body works for all models) 
Spending time learning the science of the mechanisms of friction, lubrication, and wear of interacting surfaces that are in relative motion
Razorback Performance Built & Tuned 113@ 122.59 HP/139.30 TQ

BigLew

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #47 on: July 25, 2016, 05:29:02 PM »

My info tells me, the new engine and suspension for 2017, all to debut on the new Sport Glide.
The really big changes to come in 2018. (New frame, New engines and body works for all models)
I feel the need to be excited but I'm not! LOL

BigLew

WYD OPN

• FULL THROTTLE ONLY
  • Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: LINE-BUILT 17>14:FLHTKSE 17:FLHXSE•FXSE/PS 16:FLTRUSE•FLHXSE•FXSE/PS 15:FLTRUSE•FLHXSE•FLSTNSE 14:FLHRSE•FLSTNSE•FXSBSE 13>10:FLHTCUSE 13:FLTRXSE•FLHRSE•FXSBSE 12:FLTRXSE•FLHXSE•FLSTSE 11:FLTRUSE•FLHXSE•FLSTSE 10:FLHXSE•FLSTSE•FXDFSE
    • CVO2: TEAM-BUILT 09>06:FLHTCUSE 09:FLTRSE•FXSTSSE•FXDFSE 08:FLHRSE•FXSTSSE•FXDSE 07:FLHRSE•FXSTSSE•FXDSE 06:FLSTFSE•VRSCSE•VRXSE 05:FLHTCSE•FLSTFSE•VRSCSE 04:FLHTCSE•FXSTDSE 03:FLHRSEI•FXSTDSE 02:FLHRSEI•FXDWG 01:FLTRSEI•FXDWG 00:FLTRSEI•FXR4/2 99:FXR3/2•FXR2/2

http://www.revzilla.com/common-tread/exclusive-leaked-pictures-of-the-new-harley-107-milwaukee-eight-engine?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=boosted-posts%7Ctpfn&utm_content=common-tread-news&utm_term=exclusive-leaked-pictures-of-the-new-harley-107-milwaukee-eight-engine-post-072516-%7Ctpfn

MILWAUKEE EIGHT
I was doing my usual “Monday-morning-man-I-need-coffee” thing, and then a bomb dropped in my lap.

A different source than the one identified in my previous article on the new Harley drivetrain got in touch and said he “wanted to put some rumors to rest.” I'm all for that. Let's do it.

What followed was a ridiculously in-depth breakdown of what’s coming down the line from Harley-Davidson. This source is not an employee of the Mothership. Instead, my informant is employed by an independent test facility. I’m going to relay everything I got to you, Dear Readers. Same disclaimer as last time: No guarantees, but everything I heard lines up with suspicions and rumors and makes sense.

[Right side of the engine
Here's the right side. Cam cover looks a little different, doesn't it? There's actually two pushrods per jug, you just can't see 'em. Source photo.]

In addition to the photos, my informant provided a ridiculous amount of information about the engine. (A well-educated Deep Throat is the best kind.) First, displacement of 107 cubic inches is confirmed, as thought, and the Milwaukee Eight moniker we chatted about in the comments of the other article is also confirmed by our source. Additionally, I’m told a 114-inch variant will be coming as well, and there is talk of a 131-inch permutation. For 2017, we are only going to see this in the Touring bikes. By 2018, however, the new engine will be going into all the Big Twin models. These new engines are a single-cam design but have four-valve heads. The cam is chain-driven, presumably to keep the EPA happy about engine noise, and the valves are operated by a forked rocker.

“It’s sort of half-Evo, half Twin-Cam,” I was told. These engines are set up to have the heads both oil- and water-cooled. Oil feeds from the rear rocker box up to the front.

“Just like a Shovel!” I exclaimed.

“They feel different than a Harley. They’re very well balanced, very smooth,” I was told. “They definitely sound different.”

Redline is said to be theoretically higher than a Twin Cam, but they’re capped right now at 6,000 rpm, which leads me to believe these new motors should be torque monsters. The whole shootin’ match is said to be one or two pounds lighter than the TCs, which makes sense, given the legacy constraints Harley always seems to work within.

[Left side of engine
The left side looks a little more familiar, I suppose. There's not much room in there. I wonder how bad those valve adjustments are going to be. Source photo.]

The new mills are actually using two different size mufflers, due to the emissions equipment, and the header is said to be far easier to remove than the outgoing Twin Cam. The air cleaner "is a high temp/strength type of plastic, and a slight pain in the ass to remove."

Inside the heads, those valves are operated by forked rockers. And valve adjustment? Well, this is a bit of a departure for Harley. Rather than the hydraulic lifters of the Evo and Twin Cam, or the adjustable pushrods of the Shovel, the Milwaukee Eight is sporting locknut style adjusters up top. (I like this type, and I have proselytized about them before. Rather than swapping pricey and hard-to-find shims, everything you need to do a valve adjustment is right there on the bike.) Oh yes, this new mill is also sporting dual-plug heads. I guess that also means this is a single-fire setup. It would have been nostalgic if they could have worked in a dual-fire arrangement, but I guess practicality won out. Vestigal stuff is cool to me.

We talked about interchangeability, too, with current and older models. Here’s what our source was able to give us: “Same transmission cassette, but it’s in a different housing. It’s still divorced from the engine case.”

The clutch changed a bit too. “I don’t like the throw, it’s way out there. As soon as you pull the clutch in just a little bit, you’re disengaging it.” Trike models will be getting an extra plate in the clutch, which sort of stands to reason. Oh, and the clutch on everything will be going juice soon. Apparently my old cable bikes are about to be outmoded.

The compensator sprocket design has also undergone revision. Harley’s been playing with different ramp angles. Given the troubles they saw with the previous version, it sounds about right they’d pay extra attention to this area. Apparently, my major gripe with the Twin Cam — that dadgum sprocket-shaft roller bearing that takes a whole rebuild to access — is still in use. Pity. I hope the engineers found a way to make it survive, but I don’t have high hopes.

This is all the dirt I’ve gathered thus far. Feast your eyes on those photos, and talk amongst yourselves in the comments section.

WYD OPN

• FULL THROTTLE ONLY
  • Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: LINE-BUILT 17>14:FLHTKSE 17:FLHXSE•FXSE/PS 16:FLTRUSE•FLHXSE•FXSE/PS 15:FLTRUSE•FLHXSE•FLSTNSE 14:FLHRSE•FLSTNSE•FXSBSE 13>10:FLHTCUSE 13:FLTRXSE•FLHRSE•FXSBSE 12:FLTRXSE•FLHXSE•FLSTSE 11:FLTRUSE•FLHXSE•FLSTSE 10:FLHXSE•FLSTSE•FXDFSE
    • CVO2: TEAM-BUILT 09>06:FLHTCUSE 09:FLTRSE•FXSTSSE•FXDFSE 08:FLHRSE•FXSTSSE•FXDSE 07:FLHRSE•FXSTSSE•FXDSE 06:FLSTFSE•VRSCSE•VRXSE 05:FLHTCSE•FLSTFSE•VRSCSE 04:FLHTCSE•FXSTDSE 03:FLHRSEI•FXSTDSE 02:FLHRSEI•FXDWG 01:FLTRSEI•FXDWG 00:FLTRSEI•FXR4/2 99:FXR3/2•FXR2/2

Milwaukee Eight

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

• CVO1: 2011 Slate/Black SERGU** traded
    • CVO2: 2015 Double Blue SERGU
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG Blue

Dual brake lines up front, steering stabilizer and a funky looking fender along with floorboards in the back. What the hell are they up to now?  Is that a trike without lowers I'm wondering? :nixweiss:
PHOTOBUCKET IS HOLDING MY PIX HOSTAGE!!!

LC110

• Elite CVO Member
    • WI

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 Stardust Silver / Titanium Dust 1of 1344
« Reply #51 on: July 25, 2016, 07:23:06 PM »

I feel the need to be excited but I'm not! LOL

BigLew
Not really that excited. If was shopping for new bike. I would be checking this one out. Not a new Harley.
http://motusmotorcycles.com/mstr
Spending time learning the science of the mechanisms of friction, lubrication, and wear of interacting surfaces that are in relative motion
Razorback Performance Built & Tuned 113@ 122.59 HP/139.30 TQ

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Roman Gold/Burnt Emerald

Dual brake lines up front, steering stabilizer and a funky looking fender along with floorboards in the back. What the hell are they up to now?  Is that a trike without lowers I'm wondering? :nixweiss:

I saw a freewheeler at the dealership with brakes like that.  so could be....
I understand the concept of reality, but find it too confining as a way of life

NORSEMAN

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • VA

« Last Edit: July 26, 2016, 12:51:08 PM by NORSEMAN »

Road Dad

• Senior CVO Member
    • MI

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited - 117 CU
Re: Milwaukee Eight Photos Leaked: Revzilla
« Reply #54 on: July 26, 2016, 03:14:59 PM »

Always sad when people can't keep a confidentiality agreement. Someone should get fired.

bakon

• Elite CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited "Wicked"
« Reply #55 on: July 26, 2016, 04:12:42 PM »

I rode one today. Makes the potato sound still.
Will

WYD OPN

• FULL THROTTLE ONLY
  • Senior CVO Member

« Reply #56 on: July 26, 2016, 06:25:30 PM »

Always sad when people can't keep a confidentiality agreement. Someone should get fired.

It'll happen.  Hide and watch.  H-D doesn't play.

moscooter

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #57 on: July 26, 2016, 07:50:57 PM »

:-\
A few posts back,  I thought someone said multiple cams..........I'm hearing it will go back to just one cam. :nixweiss:

mark

« Reply #58 on: July 27, 2016, 09:17:52 AM »

It'll happen.  Hide and watch.  H-D doesn't play.

I'm speculating the "leaked" 107 photos were orchestrated by HD to initiate interest/enthusiasm.  Remember the "spy" photos of the reintroduced Rushmore Road Glide?  Those were setup by HD as a teaser in advance of the actual unveiling.

ultrarider123

« Reply #59 on: July 27, 2016, 09:27:33 AM »

I'm speculating the "leaked" 107 photos were orchestrated by HD to initiate interest/enthusiasm.  Remember the "spy" photos of the reintroduced Rushmore Road Glide?  Those were setup by HD as a teaser in advance of the actual unveiling.

Very good, Mark.  Automobile manufactures have been playing this type game for years with all those "spy" and "leaked" photos of new or re-designed vehicles.  The MoCo isn't any different.  Keeping the public riveted...
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All

Page created in 0.173 seconds with 25 queries.