Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8  All

Author Topic: Bad Paint  (Read 11995 times)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: Bad Paint
« Reply #90 on: July 16, 2005, 01:34:51 AM »

I'd just pulled the Missouri Code down off the shelf and was reading section 407 when your post rolled in.  I think my mouth fell open when I read that language that says:

"shall not include vehicles used as a commercial motor vehicle, off-road vehicles, mopeds, motorcycles or recreational motor vehicles as defined in section 301.010, RSMo"

That just royally blows.  Pay more these damned things than a lot of cars cost, and therefore pay as much in to the state's sales tax coffers as a car buyer, but don't get the same protections.  Some lobbyist earned his money that day.

MObe

• Elite CVO Member
  • Damn, Those Jalapeno's are HOT!
« Reply #91 on: July 16, 2005, 01:34:58 AM »

Well, here we go again.
 My paint has bubbled up in a small place under the clear coat. It's only a small place but it's right on top of the tank. The regional rep looked at it and agrees that it is not damaged. He requested a new tank asap to keep my bike from going down, and in fact asked HQ in Milwalkee to intervene with Kaliber on my behalf. Found out last week that Kaliber refuses to budge and demands that my tank be sent in before they will take care of the problem.
 My bike will be down for 8-12 weeks.
 My dealer said that they will have a new ultra for me to ride as soon as I get back from Sturgis while my bike is down.  It looks like I will still be dealing with paint issues when my bike turns 1 year old on August 22nd!
MObe

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #92 on: July 16, 2005, 01:43:53 AM »

Mobe, I remember reading somewhere previously that Calibre only painted tins but not fiberglass parts.  Do you know if that's right or not?

MObe

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #93 on: July 16, 2005, 01:50:46 AM »

I asked that same question, because my plastic parts were flawless initially. Apparently, initially the York plant paints all the parts, but the plastic parts are painted in a different area than the metal parts.
 After initial assembly Kaliber is responsible for any paint issues.
So really the York assembly plant started this whole mess, and then Kaliber was charged with trying to make it right.
 I have also been told that York takes care of all paintwork for the current model year then it is the responsibility of Kaliber. But as we have seen this has not been the case with my bike.
MObe

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #94 on: July 16, 2005, 01:54:52 AM »

This link was a warranty bulletin from about a year ago that directed dealers how and when to send stuff to Calibre.  It defined the non-current models/paint as anything beyond the current model year.

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/2000fltpartscat/WAR131.pdf#search='Harley%20custom%20paint%20calibre'

MObe

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #95 on: July 16, 2005, 01:58:25 AM »

Yup, I've seen that one before. Thanks for the correct spelling. For some reason I remembered it as spelled with a K. My somztimers disease must be acting up.
MObe

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #96 on: July 16, 2005, 02:04:52 AM »

To heck with how they spell it.  Let's just hope they can paint faster than a snail's pace....

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #97 on: July 16, 2005, 07:08:15 AM »

Well, here we go again.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #98 on: July 16, 2005, 11:39:04 AM »

WOW! [smiley=shocked2.gif]

ccr

• SEEG Cult Senior Member
  • 5k CVO Member
« Reply #99 on: July 16, 2005, 02:05:46 PM »

Mobe, I am so very sorry to hear that you are again being plagued with the bad paint problems. There is not doubt that you personally have had the worst luck in the paint department. I know it does not help much, but hopefully at least having a bike to ride during the down time will keep you on the road.  I'm super impressed that at least the dealer you are working with is going to make sure you stay on two wheels.  What a horrible drag.  I wish Iwas closer. I'd come help you whip on some saplings and throw rocks down the cliff.  Then we could come inside and share a beverage together.   [smiley=drink.gif]

MObe

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #100 on: July 16, 2005, 02:17:05 PM »

Thanks MrsWe! A cold brew sounds pretty good about now!  [smiley=drink.gif]
MObe

BAKRDS

• Senior CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #101 on: July 30, 2005, 03:48:51 PM »

Has anyone had paint problems with their frame? Have a blistered patch on the back side of a front downtube & one of the blisters cracked & revealed the rust underneath.Can't wait to hear what the dealer says about this. I'm shure if it was on the front they wolld blame it on a stone chip. In the same trip they can look at the peeling chrome on the front wheel & pass. footboards. The back wheel & riders footboards have allready been replaced.
'10 SESG
 '65 FLH

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #102 on: July 30, 2005, 04:15:18 PM »

Has anyone had paint problems with their frame? Have a blistered patch on the back side of a front downtube & one of the blisters cracked & revealed the rust underneath.Can't wait to hear what the dealer says about this. I'm shure if it was on the front they wolld blame it on a stone chip. In the same trip they can look at the peeling chrome on the front wheel & pass. footboards. The back wheel & riders footboards have allready been replaced.

There was a huge issue with this a couple years ago (2002 models, I think) on the FLHs.  Frames were not being prepped correctly prior to powder-coating.  I have not heard much about it since and know of no other SEEG with this issue.

Wouldn't mind seeing a photo if you have the ability.

MObe

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #103 on: August 03, 2005, 06:35:18 PM »

Many thanks go out to Aussiboi for his info about calibre.  
I called the company directly and was connected to their customer service department and a nice lady named Cindy.
 I told her about my situation and asked her if she could help.
 She said that she thought that there were about 20 tanks left over from the initial build and would send someone out to check and then call back.
 She did call back and said that yes there were about 8 tanks left from the initial build. She said that she would have someone open every box to make sure that they sent me a perfect tank.
 She then said to give my service manager her name and number and have him call her and that she would make sure that they sent out a new tank without my bike having to be down.
 Four days later the most perfect tank that I've yet seen showed up at my dealer.
 SWEEEEEEET! [smiley=beerchug.gif]
MObe

MObe

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #104 on: August 03, 2005, 06:37:25 PM »

OOPs almost forgot, all you Missouri guys check out Missouri HB 469. This seeks to add motorcycles to the Missouri lemon law. [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]
MObe
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8  All

Page created in 0.143 seconds with 20 queries.