Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Author Topic: A quart of oil every 1000 miles?  (Read 6676 times)

Para Bellum

• Si vis pacem, para bellum.
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 Canyon Copper FXSTSSE, '08 Crystal Copper SEUC
    • CVO2: '11 Slate/Blk SERGU, '18 Twisted Cherry RGU
Re: A quart of oil every 100 miles?
« Reply #30 on: August 19, 2016, 10:29:39 PM »

for future oil changes I will have to purchase the oil in advance and take it to the dealer.
I have to ask: Why would you go to this (or any) HD dealer for an oil change?  They'll probably charge you $100/hr labor and assign the the rawest newbie to it.  If you don't have a place to change oil and filter yourself, many independents will do it for a whole lot less.
If you want peace, prepare for war.

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '01 FXDWG2 RED 103 6sp
    • CVO2: '05 FLHTCSE2 CHERRY
    • CVO3: '09 FLTRSE3 YELLOW 117/DD7
« Reply #31 on: August 19, 2016, 11:51:53 PM »

I am sure the writer meant a quart of all every 1000 miles and one 100 miles!
Unfortunately I did an upgrade to me FLHTCU, which came equipped with a 96 cu.in. engine and in order to get more HP and Torque I did an upgrade using a 103 Stage 3 piston/cam kid. This was done in December of 2015.  On my first trip down to Daytona Beach in March I had to learn the hard way that my brand new 103 is not burning oil.  After approx. 750 miles it needed add 1 quart of oil.  There were other issues which started happening as well, which I will not get into at this time.  As I returned back to Richmond I immediately went to the dealer and they for whatever reason did not take my word regarding the burning of engine oil.  It was decided to replace the current Harley brand synthetic oil with regular 20W50 oil, which by the way I was also told would minimize the very apparently clicking noise generated by the valves.  I was asked to ride the bike for approx. 1000 miles and bring the bike back in order to check the oil level.  Well, I learned that riding the bike shorter distance at a time the oil burning issue did not surface.  At the of July I started my trip out West with the ultimate destination being Sturgis. Well folks, every 750 - 1000 miles I had to add 1 quart of oil.  I stopped at several dealers on the way to Sturgis and each told me that this was a flaw with 103 Engines and that Harley Davidson knew about this problem, but of course, would never admit to it.  One dealer indicated that it was normal for this type of engine to burn oil!  I just find it interesting that I never had this issue with my 1995 Dyna Wide as well as now with my 2010 FLHTCU before making the conversion in order to get more torque and horse power. In Sturgis I met the folks that produce and sell the Synthetic Bel Ray oil.  I decided to do yet another oil change and use Bel Ray's Synthetic 20W50 oil.  After that oil change I drove from Sturgis all the way to Emlenton, PA and eventually back home in Richmond, VA, approx. 2,500 miles.  Guess what, my engine no longer burns oil!!!  I should also add that I did call the Harley Davidson Customer Support line and without going into details, I regret to inform you, they basically don't give a hoot!  The lady I spoke to was quite emphatic in insisting that Harley Davidson has zero issues with 103 Stage 3 Conversion kits.  Case closed and the lady would not even make suggestions as to what he dealer should do.  From this point on, I am stuck with Bel Ray's Synthetic oil which none of the Harley Dealers stock.  The only consolation is that I found a solution to this issue but for future oil changes I will have to purchase the oil in advance and take it to the dealer.

There ain't no magic oil that cures the motor :nixweiss: Although I have seen my '05 stop using oil after 5k miles, guess it just took longer than usual for the rings to seat :nixweiss:
"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

DanielP

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • VA

« Reply #32 on: August 20, 2016, 04:47:02 PM »

Thanks for your reply Para. Me too don't believe in "magic oil", however, some synthetic oils are more heat resistant than others and as far as I am concerned Bel Ray is a superior synthetic oil. :)

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '01 FXDWG2 RED 103 6sp
    • CVO2: '05 FLHTCSE2 CHERRY
    • CVO3: '09 FLTRSE3 YELLOW 117/DD7
« Reply #33 on: August 20, 2016, 07:23:19 PM »

All the oils are close, except the shockproof in the trans

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Page created in 0.13 seconds with 20 queries.