Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Author Topic: LED Tailight  (Read 8200 times)

WFP

• WoeFully Pathetic!
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2008 Maggie Valley GTG

• CVO1: WFP-2003 FXSTDSE
    • CVO2: WFP2-2014 FLHTKSE
Re: LED Tailight
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2007, 07:21:06 AM »

For me, adding the LED on the tourpac in combo with the Panacea is a good alternative...sort of like the CHML in cars.

/Bill

A lot of them have the same handicap Bill.  I had the light that was just the center light from the Panacea system without the rest of it.  Nice bright LED.  You put that thing on, prop down the brake pedal, walk back behind the bike the evening you're working on it and see so much new bright light you think "EVERYONE can see this!".  Then in bright daylight with the sun behind you you find out NO ONE can see it. 

One of the good bright Silverstar 1157s is what I ended up changing mine back to after it was pointed out to me.  Though not immediately after. 

Someone pointed the problem out to me.  I glanced at it at a motel later that evening.  Noticed how bright it was.  Immediately thought the friend who'd pointed it out in the sunlight was obviously an imbecile.  Then a few days later heard that pucker inducing sound of a cage briefly locking up its brakes behind me as I was stopped at a stop light with no room in front of me to get out of its way.  That night I put a bulb in that was recognizable in all conditions rather than more recognizable at night (which is when the bike gets far and away the least amount of its riding anyway).
Finally have ridden a Harley in all 50 US States!

Canadian Provinces NOT travelled in or through by Motorcycle (YET!!!):

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2007, 11:38:02 AM »

For me, adding the LED on the tourpac in combo with the Panacea is a good alternative...sort of like the CHML in cars.

/Bill

If I had one of the tour paks on all the time I would have just left it alone too Bill.  Both have spoilers on them and that light is a bit brighter and up nice and high in someone's line of sight.  Even the saddlebag spoilers help.  But about half the time neither tour pak is on the bike.  Just a couple of backrests.  So I figured "what the hell" and plugged a good bright Silverstar 1157 back there.  Someone might actually see it better and it'd suck to get my ass knocked off.

greglyon

• 1K CVO Member
  • 2013 FLHRSE5
    • AZ

• CVO1: FLHRSE5
    • Phillips and Lyon LLC
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2007, 01:51:16 PM »

I also had visibility problems in daylight with the LED lights in the Panacea.  I have since gone back to stock couple dwith a tail light flasher.
"A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory"

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2007, 01:57:45 PM »

Are we talkin' just bright daylight here or sun shining directly on the back end of the bike?  In the daylight mine seem to show up fine, but I haven't positioned the bike to see it with the sun directly behind.  I will do that ASAP.  I do know that the tourpak strip shows up no matter the conditions, but this array is in a diffuser, so that may make a difference.  Will take some pics this weekend if the weather is good.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2007, 02:45:51 PM »

Are we talkin' just bright daylight here or sun shining directly on the back end of the bike?  In the daylight mine seem to show up fine, but I haven't positioned the bike to see it with the sun directly behind.  I will do that ASAP.  I do know that the tourpak strip shows up no matter the conditions, but this array is in a diffuser, so that may make a difference.  Will take some pics this weekend if the weather is good.

It's when the sun is behind you Terry.  On my own (and a few others I noticed after starting to pay attention) that LED brake light just doesn't shine through.  They've all been the Kuryakyn Panacea lights (or variants thereof).  So perhaps yours will be different.  But on my own, you just flat couldn't see it when the sun was behind it.

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2007, 04:08:24 PM »

It's when the sun is behind you Terry.  On my own (and a few others I noticed after starting to pay attention) that LED brake light just doesn't shine through.  They've all been the Kuryakyn Panacea lights (or variants thereof).  So perhaps yours will be different.  But on my own, you just flat couldn't see it when the sun was behind it.

Thanks, Don...I'll be sure and check it out well.  Don't know how different, if at all, this one is from the Panacea.  To tell you the truth, I've really never paid much attention to how bright the regular bulbs are with sun from behind.  One reason I wanted to stay with the amber turn signals is for contrast to the red...I'll try and get some pics, and if it sucks, it'll come off.

TTS Mastertune

greglyon

• 1K CVO Member
  • 2013 FLHRSE5
    • AZ

• CVO1: FLHRSE5
    • Phillips and Lyon LLC
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2007, 08:10:28 AM »

I led on a 2k trip last summer.  Everyone that followed at some point in time made the comment that they couldn't see when I activated my turn signal or brake.  Visibility way more important than cool.
"A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory"

sooiee

• Senior CVO Member
    • NC
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2007, 02:08:06 PM »

Purchased a Red LED Tailight array for my bike from Custom Dynamics (talk to Christine...she's a sweetie) to install in place of the regular 1157 clear bulb.

The LED tailight array has three whites on the back top, which shine through the clear part of the lens...they have a bit of blueish tint to them that is hard to see in the pics, but it looks pretty cool, IMO.

First pic is the old tailight in run position...

Maybe I'm having the CSS (Can't See *hit) problem again?  Seems to come on more frequently in my old age. 
What did the array unit cost?  Was there more than just the array to replace? 
later, J
Remember.....Just going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in your garage makes you a motorcycle.

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2007, 04:03:25 PM »

Maybe I'm having the CSS (Can't See *hit) problem again?  Seems to come on more frequently in my old age. 
What did the array unit cost?  Was there more than just the array to replace? 
later, J

Sooie....here's the link to the page...it's the LED retrofit...03-07 square lens.  You do need the load equalizer as well...there's an entire page of stuff for HD's.

http://www.customdynamics.com/harley_davidson_motorcycle_taillight.htm

TTS Mastertune

sooiee

• Senior CVO Member
    • NC
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2007, 04:12:45 PM »

Ahh....THANKS. 
Maybe I need to take the dark glasses off?  8)

Cheers, J
Remember.....Just going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in your garage makes you a motorcycle.

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE
    • CVO3: 2002 FXDWG3
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2007, 05:48:44 PM »

Terry, I think the problem with the Panacea is avoided with what you did since you have the Red lens.

The Panacea with the clear lens totally washes out if the sun is directly on it from the rear as 2Ln pointedout.  I damn near ran over a couple guys in Cripple Creek under that sun from the back problem. 

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2007, 11:11:03 PM »

Terry, I think the problem with the Panacea is avoided with what you did since you have the Red lens.

The Panacea with the clear lens totally washes out if the sun is directly on it from the rear as 2Ln pointedout.  I damn near ran over a couple guys in Cripple Creek under that sun from the back problem. 

Mine had the "smoked" lens.  Then tried a red one.  While there was a bit of difference between the two both were pretty much invisible with the sun right behind them.  Never tried a clear lens though.  So that sucks too huh?

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2007, 11:16:07 PM »

Mine had the "smoked" lens.  Then tried a red one.  While there was a bit of difference between the two both were pretty much invisible with the sun right behind them.  Never tried a clear lens though.  So that sucks too huh?

Yep, the direct light is a killer.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2007, 11:19:59 PM »

Yep, the direct light is a killer.

It was ugly Rog.  I'm sure some lighting engineer could explain why.  But it always seemed a bit counterintuitive to me that the LED that was so much brighter in all other circumstances compared to an incandescent 1157 completely failed compared to that same 1157 when in direct sunlight.  I was always too lazy to try to look anything up on it either.  Was too easy to just stick a really good 1157 back in.

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2007, 12:29:47 AM »

Not sure if anyone recalls the old thread, but I have the 1157 LED in my turns and tail light.

It seems fine, I would hope that the array that Terry put in would work the same in the stock lens.  The pic here is just running brightness and they are plenty bright.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Page created in 0.211 seconds with 24 queries.