Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: 117" dyno test! 138 HP and 140 TQ!  (Read 11085 times)

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

Re: 117" dyno test! 138 HP and 140 TQ!
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2016, 04:52:46 PM »

You would quickly change your mind if you heard this motor.  Mechanical noise emanating from it is deafening to say the least.  As the owner of several 110 over the years I know what noise is and this sounds like its about to let go. :nervous:

Probably just got a bad one and if she is going to blow I hope it blows before the warranty runs out.

True.  If it's raisin' that much hell, it very well may.  Hope not.  Later--HUBBARD
2012 FLHTCUSE7  (Electric Orange/Black)  Built Motor (124), D&D "Borzilla" Exhaust, Tilley/K&N Air Induction,
"National President"-"Hillbilly Rocket Riders", MC, Mother Chapter, WV
"National President"-"W.H.O.R.E", TPT, WV Chapter

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '01 FXDWG2 RED 103 6sp
    • CVO2: '05 FLHTCSE2 CHERRY
    • CVO3: '09 FLTRSE3 YELLOW 117/DD7
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2016, 10:56:10 PM »

I could have had this and wasted my money on an S&S 124 clanging and piston slapping noise maker.  My old 110 was quite as a mouse compared to this motor.

Those are incredible numbers on a 117.  Wow!

Have you brought this to the attention of S&S?? From my experience, S&S stands behind their stuff...

Yes those #s are incredible!!

"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2016, 08:50:31 AM »

While I remain impressed with the numbers posted on this Motor, why is there no reply to my comments on the Bottom-End? Any Hot-Rodder worth his salt, knows lasting power is built on a solid foundation.  So.....what was done to the Bottom-End of this Motor?  Is that a secret, or is the subject being avoided?  I'm curious.  Later--HUBBARD   
2012 FLHTCUSE7  (Electric Orange/Black)  Built Motor (124), D&D "Borzilla" Exhaust, Tilley/K&N Air Induction,

jpb

• Full CVO Member
    • MD

« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2016, 08:52:14 AM »

Have you brought this to the attention of S&S?? From my experience, S&S stands behind their stuff...

Yes those #s are incredible!!

During my purchase of the S&S engine I called them a half a dozen times.  Most every time I called for clarification on something I got a different answer.  And in almost every case they were short and bordering on rude.  They made me feel like I was intruding on their valuable time.  I have not notified them as of yet but that step is not far off.

I was warned by Steve that they were noisy and I should have heeded his advice to pull the cylinders and pistons for a proper fitting.  However I did not want to blow the warranty.

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2016, 09:48:12 AM »

While I remain impressed with the numbers posted on this Motor, why is there no reply to my comments on the Bottom-End? Any Hot-Rodder worth his salt, knows lasting power is built on a solid foundation.  So.....what was done to the Bottom-End of this Motor?  Is that a secret, or is the subject being avoided?  I'm curious.  Later--HUBBARD

Nothing was done to crank or crank bearings.
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2016, 10:55:20 AM »

The worst thing about that S&S motor is the bike value drops so drastically. Local dealer mgr one time told a buddy of mine with  a S&S motored Road King, "Pay $5000 with labor for that aftermarket engine and deduct $10,000 from the bike value so you need to enjoy that $15k you spent".  He also soon found no dealers in this area would take it on trade. He finally sold it on line for peanuts, guy who bought it parted it out.
This is not an isolated case, works the same in other vehicles. Only way to come out on this swap is to enjoy it and ride it along time.

rockytop117

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TN

« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2016, 02:17:54 PM »

What was the crank run out as well? Surely it was checked making this kind of HP & TQ....
11 SERG.
117ci
570G S&S
RB RACING 2-1
SE 58MM TB
HPI INJECTORS
WFO LARRY HEADS
COMP 10:2 CCP 190
DIRECT LINK TUNE BY STROKERJLK
SAE128.09/STD131.32 HP  TQ135.89 std 139.31
RC COMPONENTS WHEELS & A/C
VPC 92 CLUTCH
FOSGATE AMP, FOCAL SPEAKERS

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2016, 03:02:19 PM »

Nothing was done to crank or crank bearings.

Noted.  Not in any way telling you how to ride your Motorsickle, but I will offer a little friendly advice, if I may.  I wouldn't make a habit of twistin' it to 6000.  Your Builder prolly set the chip under that, anyway.  If you do bump 6000 more often than not, you're likely gonna' have problems.  That's not so much advice, as it is a fact.  In my opinion, anyway.  I've never had a 117 built, but I did consider it, and did a lot of research on it, before I had my 124 built.  I've prolly got as much, or maybe more experience in destroying Big Motors as anybody here.  None of 'em last forever!  But I sure have had a lot of fun!  So.........have fun, but keep your eye on that Tach!  Later--HUBBARD     
« Last Edit: August 26, 2016, 03:12:26 PM by HUBBARD »

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '01 FXDWG2 RED 103 6sp
    • CVO2: '05 FLHTCSE2 CHERRY
    • CVO3: '09 FLTRSE3 YELLOW 117/DD7
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2016, 03:38:24 PM »

During my purchase of the S&S engine I called them a half a dozen times.  Most every time I called for clarification on something I got a different answer.  And in almost every case they were short and bordering on rude.  They made me feel like I was intruding on their valuable time.  I have not notified them as of yet but that step is not far off.

I was warned by Steve that they were noisy and I should have heeded his advice to pull the cylinders and pistons for a proper fitting.  However I did not want to blow the warranty.

Don't blame ya, I wouldn't be too happy either!

Just out of curiosity, who was the S&S Dealer that you purchased through / did the install / Tune??

What does the S&S Dealer have to say??

How many miles on the motor now?? How many miles before noise??

Hub, Dave, and the rest of y'all, should we start an over / under pool on how many miles before that stock bottom end cuts loose??? 

I gotta know the runout before I pick my #s LOL!

"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2016, 04:04:31 PM »

Noted.  Not in any way telling you how to ride your Motorsickle, but I will offer a little friendly advice, if I may.  I wouldn't make a habit of twistin' it to 6000.  Your Builder prolly set the chip under that, anyway.  If you do bump 6000 more often than not, you're likely gonna' have problems.  That's not so much advice, as it is a fact.  In my opinion, anyway.  I've never had a 117 built, but I did consider it, and did a lot of research on it, before I had my 124 built.  I've prolly got as much, or maybe more experience in destroying Big Motors as anybody here.  None of 'em last forever!  But I sure have had a lot of fun!  So.........have fun, but keep your eye on that Tach!  Later--HUBBARD   

I believe mine is set at 5800 as that is where it quits making power.  I try to shift by 5000~5300 when getting on it hard as that is were torque starts tapering down.  I know I am taking a gamble with the bottom end. I thought and debated for a long time about the bottom end. I have seen some last a long time with builds and others not very long at all.  I ride it hard, but I do not abuse it or beat on it.

Its just so much more enjoyable to ride with this power, its great for powering out of a curve, or quick passes.
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2016, 06:40:45 PM »

I believe mine is set at 5800 as that is where it quits making power.  I try to shift by 5000~5300 when getting on it hard as that is were torque starts tapering down.  I know I am taking a gamble with the bottom end. I thought and debated for a long time about the bottom end. I have seen some last a long time with builds and others not very long at all.  I ride it hard, but I do not abuse it or beat on it.

Its just so much more enjoyable to ride with this power, its great for powering out of a curve, or quick passes.

That's Super!  And, it sounds like your Builder ain't no rookie, either!  I feel a lot better now!  I'm anal about checking Engine oil levels, too.  These Hot-Rod Motors WILL consume oil, if you twist 'em.  I paid Tilley's $6600.00, to freshen up the Motor, (Zipper's 120), in Ol' Maudie right before I sold her.  I mean, didn't have 1000 miles on that Motor when I sold it.  The boy that bought her was really twistin' her the times I saw him, but obviously, he didn't check the oil.  Seized up with 1800 miles on that new Motor!  Bet he checks it from now on!  Like you say, ain't nothin' like a Big Motor "talking" to ya', when you call on it!  Have fun!  Ride safe!  Later--HUBBARD     
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.17 seconds with 20 queries.