Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Author Topic: Aftermarket Pipes Will Now Void Your Warranty  (Read 15768 times)

1badbagger

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • PA

• CVO1: 2021 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 1962 XLCH
    • CVO3: 1965 FLH
Aftermarket Pipes Will Now Void Your Warranty
« on: September 13, 2016, 05:48:43 PM »

I was at my local HD dealer (Reading, Pa.) yesterday and was told by the owner that aftermarket (Racing) pipes and or head pipes without the cats will or could void your warranty if you have any motor issues. This blew my mind since it pertains to 95% of every Harley out there. I've heard trailer hitches on your bike will also void it... but never aftermarket pipes. I didn't believe it until I talked to another HD dealership owner (Mansfield, Pa.) and was told the same thing word for word. It doesn't only effect the 17's but any bike that has a warranty. They both blamed it on EPA and the new emission rules. I'm told Harley is working on pipe and tuner options that complie. Just wondering if anyone else out there heard about this? 
 :soapbox:

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
Re: Aftermarket Pipes Will Now Void Your Warranty
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2016, 06:01:48 PM »

So, you're saying at the dealers have told you that Harley Davidson, all by itself, has passed an amendment to the Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act (P.L. 93-637), a United States federal law, (15 U.S.C. § 2301 et seq. 1975)??  No offense, but I would view those claims as specious at best.  I believe they may have been told to tell you that but I'm pretty sure that Harley-Davidson is not allowed to change Federal law all by itself

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

muddypaws

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2012 FLHTCUS7

• CVO1: 2005 CVO
    • CVO2: 2009 CVO SEUC
    • CVO3: 2017 CVO LIMITED
    • Re/Max
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2016, 06:57:59 PM »

If Harley can prove the exhaust/tuning had anything to do with a problem I think they are 100% right to void the warranty.
Bill

trwtow

• Elite CVO Member
    • MI

• CVO1: 19 roadglide mako shark
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2016, 08:04:18 PM »

wife got a 2017 softail deluxe last week
dealer tells us to put slip ons on it we gotta buy Harleys new super tuner for 299 bucks
wish id known that sooner would of sought out a 2016
04 cvo duece blue sold
06 electaglide classic sold
10 sesg concorde sold
12 sesg ruby sold
17 sesg orange sold
19 cvo roadglide mako
and washboy for wifes softail deluxe

1badbagger

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • PA

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2016, 09:32:31 PM »

So, you're saying at the dealers have told you that Harley Davidson, all by itself, has passed an amendment to the Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act (P.L. 93-637), a United States federal law, (15 U.S.C. § 2301 et seq. 1975)??  No offense, but I would view those claims as specious at best.  I believe they may have been told to tell you that but I'm pretty sure that Harley-Davidson is not allowed to change Federal law all by itself

Don't know anything about that federal law stuff but I was told by two separate HD dealership owners if you have any major motor problems and they see that you have the cats cut out, aftermarket tuner, aftermarket head pipes, or have something they consider racing pipes on your bike it can void your warranty. This all happened in the last week and applies to all bikes that are still under warranty. I was told by my local dealership that they will try to work with me if they can but IF they need to get a HD rep involved HD will try to play the void card. Just trying to pass on what I was told.

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2016, 09:50:28 PM »

Don't know anything about that federal law stuff but I was told by two separate HD dealership owners if you have any major motor problems and they see that you have the cats cut out, aftermarket tuner, aftermarket head pipes, or have something they consider racing pipes on your bike it can void your warranty. This all happened in the last week and applies to all bikes that are still under warranty. I was told by my local dealership that they will try to work with me if they can but IF they need to get a HD rep involved HD will try to play the void card. Just trying to pass on what I was told.

My point was that nothing has changed.  If H-D could ever claim that any modification contributed to the problem for which you want warranty service, they would.  We've known for many years that any performance upgrade, including a stage 1 kit can void a warranty if the engine tanks. 

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2016, 10:02:07 PM »

Typical over-reaction to having their hands slapped by the EPA for previous illegal activity by the MoCo and it's dealers.  And it isn't new rules, it is old rules that the EPA has finally decided to enforce.  Tampering with emission controlled vehicles has always been illegal since the standards were first put in place.

No matter what Harley or the dealers tell you, it is still your bike and you can pretty much do whatever you want to it.  As Greg noted earlier in this thread, they can't legally do a blanket voiding of everyone's warranty just because they changed mufflers.  Federal warranty law is still in effect and each case has to be decided on it's particular facts and merit.  For example, if your oil pump fails that can't be reasonably blamed on a non-stock muffler.

Smart people will make sure to keep any parts they replace, such as exhaust components, so they can put the bike back to stock if they have a failure that Harley might try to blame on those pipes.  The same goes for tunes.  Use a system that will allow you to save the stock tune and reinstall it if and when you want.  Put your stock pipes back on the bike, reinstall the stock tune, then call the dealer to tow your blown bike in for some warranty work.  It's a lot more work that way, but it's doable.

Jerry

Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2016, 08:45:06 AM »

I'm certainly not a lawyer but it seems to me that the MoCo would be setting itself up for class action law suit since many, many of the dealerships is the same people that altered the stock exhaust system or put on after market exhaust systems and tuners as they acknowledged when they paid their fine.   

Now they're going to try to recoup some of that expense on the shoulders of their customers by denying warranty claims for work they did?   :nixweiss:
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

bakon

• Elite CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited "Wicked"
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2016, 09:44:15 AM »

So many lawyers would love this suit.
Will

FLTRCVO

• Senior CVO Member
  • pnw_cvfltrse_dom_c38_sws_w1024
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2016, 10:51:22 AM »

I was at my local HD dealer (Reading, Pa.) yesterday and was told by the owner that aftermarket (Racing) pipes and or head pipes without the cats will or could void your warranty if you have any motor issues. This blew my mind since it pertains to 95% of every Harley out there. I've heard trailer hitches on your bike will also void it... but never aftermarket pipes. I didn't believe it until I talked to another HD dealership owner (Mansfield, Pa.) and was told the same thing word for word. It doesn't only effect the 17's but any bike that has a warranty. They both blamed it on EPA and the new emission rules. I'm told Harley is working on pipe and tuner options that complie. Just wondering if anyone else out there heard about this? 
 :soapbox:
He misrepresented the truth, he lied to you, ESP just approved the complete rebuild of my motor including cases. I have a complete D and D Boss / Fat Cat 2 into 1 exhaust system on the bike installed by the dealer with a tuner and I asked the same question at the time prior to purchase, and the answer was your Warranty will still be good.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2016, 11:14:15 AM by FLTRCVO »

charles05663

• 1K CVO Member
    • TX

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 - Petunia
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2016, 02:44:28 PM »

He misrepresented the truth, he lied to you, Warranty just approved the complete rebuild of my motor including cases. I have a complete D and D Boss / Fat Cat 2 into 1 exhaust system on the bike.

Was this done under your ESP? 
 :oops: :nixweiss:
And he saith unto them, Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.
Matthew 4:19

http://www.thefishermenministry.net/

Q:  What is the USA's number one export to China?
A:  Trash!  They loved our high quality trash. (not any longer).

Stolen technology and Jobs!

dayne66

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • BC

• CVO1: '12 Ruby/Typhoon SG
    • CVO2: '15 Superior Blue FLD Switchback
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2016, 02:53:18 PM »

Barnes in Victoria told us that the SE pipes were 'the only warranty friendly' pipes for the Wife's '15 FLD.....about 17 months ago. They are much too quiet and have made the KNOWN vibration worse.

Wasted about $1000 on the advice of the part 'guru'.

Should be able to get a discount to opt out of the warranty!!
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." Socrates

FLTRCVO

• Senior CVO Member
  • pnw_cvfltrse_dom_c38_sws_w1024
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2016, 03:00:06 PM »

Was this done under your ESP? 
 :oops: :nixweiss:
Yes
Contract # 23162048
Authorization # 6699704
Payable $5996.83
« Last Edit: September 14, 2016, 03:35:06 PM by FLTRCVO »

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2016, 07:13:09 PM »

He misrepresented the truth, he lied to you, Warranty just approved the complete rebuild of my motor including cases. I have a complete D and D Boss / Fat Cat 2 into 1 exhaust system on the bike.

Not really.  What your bike was repaired under was NOT the factory warranty, which is what this dealer was talking about.  The ESP is NOT a warranty, even though millions of people mistakenly call it that.  It's a service contract (Extended Service Plan), and Harley doesn't control whether or not those claims are approved.  Those are the domain of the ESP company, in this case a company called CNA.  Consider yourself lucky they didn't deny your claim as well, since they have been doing just that quite a bit over the past eight years or so.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

1badbagger

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • PA

« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2016, 08:26:24 PM »

Not really.  What your bike was repaired under was NOT the factory warranty, which is what this dealer was talking about.  The ESP is NOT a warranty, even though millions of people mistakenly call it that.  It's a service contract (Extended Service Plan), and Harley doesn't control whether or not those claims are approved.  Those are the domain of the ESP company, in this case a company called CNA.  Consider yourself lucky they didn't deny your claim as well, since they have been doing just that quite a bit over the past eight years or so.

Jerry

Thanks for having my back Jerry. I don't like being called a liar and have no reason to lie about this. I'm actually sorry I even brought it up.  I was just trying to help out other members and let them know what I found out from two different dealers here in Pa. this week. The Moco WILL be picking fly$hit out of pepper on any motor issues under the two year warranty moving forward. I'm sure all the dealers were told the same thing so those that choose not to believe me, ask your local dealer how they are going to handle things if you have an engine failure.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Page created in 0.192 seconds with 20 queries.