Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2011 CVO RG Hydraulic clutch going out  (Read 3624 times)

hotroadking

• Full CVO Member
2011 CVO RG Hydraulic clutch going out
« on: October 03, 2016, 03:08:48 PM »

2011 CVO RG, about a year ago got caught on a freeway in a crawl for an hour and the clutch went away, got off the interstate, let it cool and pumped it up enough to get home, cleaned out the fluid, and replaced with clean new dot4, bled the system and it was fine.

Recently it's been acting up again, fluid levels are good, hoses look good, refilled the system with new dot4 and bled it down, no air bubbles, and it got a full firm lever.

Go for a ride and the clutch starts to go away again, first with about a 1/4 inch play, then 1/2, then you have to pump it up, after a good ride, almost no clutch at all.

Clutch plates seem to be fine, replaced throwout bearing on end of rod, spins free, new clutch hub bearings, new inner primary bearing (was getting a bearing growl from that area.

So what gives,  :nixweiss: there are no adjustments, I backed off the banjo bolt under pressure and no air bubbles.

Left it up on the jack for a few days, not running and it's not lost any pressure, so no leaks.  :confused5:

Has to be heat related?
Time to rebuild the MC?
Time to buy an Indian?

Biketoberfest is in two weeks need to resolve this...

"My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them." Winston Churchill

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
Re: 2011 CVO RG Hydraulic clutch going out
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2016, 03:25:48 PM »

Master cylinder problem? Biketoberfest 10 days away.

hotroadking

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2016, 03:29:07 PM »

Not sure that's about whats left to do...

I could pick up a rebuild kit, it builds pressure but then goes away over time riding the bike. (like a half hour).
"My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them." Winston Churchill

DesertHOG

• Visiting America One Road Trip at a Time
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Vivid Black Special
    • NM

• CVO1: 2011 FLTRUSE - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2015 FLTRUSE - SOLD
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXS - Vivid Black
    • Join me on Facebook
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2016, 04:47:26 PM »

This happened on my 11 RG you. It were covered until it blew up in San Francisco. I lost a clutch bearing. I had it repaired under ESP. I have no idea what the basic fundamental issue was underlined the whole thing.

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2016, 01:58:20 PM »

If that primary bearing goes again replace with the Baker unit much better than the HD one that likes to walk and howl.

hotroadking

• Full CVO Member
2011 CVO RG Hydraulic clutch going out
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2016, 02:14:10 PM »

If that primary bearing goes again replace with the Baker unit much better than the HD one that likes to walk and howl.

That was the plan but according to Baker they don't make one for the 6 speed, only the 5 speed
trans, I had the Baker in my 124 Softail setup to eliminate that problem.

Looks like it's the trap doorcover bearings or cover that is the problem, I can move the main shaft
in and out after removing the clutch and it's getting worse, I just hope the trap door isn't fubar, that's
what happened on my Heritage, the combined pressure from the Rivera Pro Clutch and the 124 combined to crack the inner flange holding the bearing in place,

Replaced it with a Jims Trap door, it's a problem I don't want to have.  :nervous:
« Last Edit: October 04, 2016, 05:13:48 PM by hotroadking »

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2016, 06:13:19 PM »

Hotrod,

You may want to look at rebuilding the slave piston in the master cylinder.   Also look at the sheathing near the trap door to see if you hydraulic line is getting cooked there.  Also look at where your cable is routed around your down tubes from on the frame in front of the front cylinder.

HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2016, 06:15:24 PM »

If you can move the mainshaft you may also want to consider the backer street door part number for chrome is 487-6

http://crustyoldsite.bakerdrivetrain.com/street-door
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

hotroadking

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2016, 11:56:06 PM »

I found the culprit. The trap door mainshaft bearing is bad.

Transmission is out in bench now to take it apart and clean it out check everything and put in a new bearing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2016, 05:57:54 PM »

That was the plan but according to Baker they don't make one for the 6 speed, only the 5 speed
trans, I had the Baker in my 124 Softail setup to eliminate that problem.

Looks like it's the trap doorcover bearings or cover that is the problem, I can move the main shaft
in and out after removing the clutch and it's getting worse, I just hope the trap door isn't fubar, that's
what happened on my Heritage, the combined pressure from the Rivera Pro Clutch and the 124 combined to crack the inner flange holding the bearing in place,

Replaced it with a Jims Trap door, it's a problem I don't want to have.  :nervous:
Well I have the Baker primary bearing in my 6sp 07 CUSE but glad you found that problem

Skillet

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2
    • CVO2: 2008 FLHR Road King
    • CVO3: 1980 FXB Sturgis
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2016, 11:13:01 PM »

2011 CVO RG, about a year ago got caught on a freeway in a crawl for an hour and the clutch went away, got off the interstate, let it cool and pumped it up enough to get home, cleaned out the fluid, and replaced with clean new dot4, bled the system and it was fine.

Recently it's been acting up again, fluid levels are good, hoses look good, refilled the system with new dot4 and bled it down, no air bubbles, and it got a full firm lever.

Go for a ride and the clutch starts to go away again, first with about a 1/4 inch play, then 1/2, then you have to pump it up, after a good ride, almost no clutch at all.

Clutch plates seem to be fine, replaced throwout bearing on end of rod, spins free, new clutch hub bearings, new inner primary bearing (was getting a bearing growl from that area.

So what gives,  :nixweiss: there are no adjustments, I backed off the banjo bolt under pressure and no air bubbles.

Left it up on the jack for a few days, not running and it's not lost any pressure, so no leaks.  :confused5:

Has to be heat related?
Time to rebuild the MC?
Time to buy an Indian?

Biketoberfest is in two weeks need to resolve this...

Had the same issue. Just replaced the piston rebuild in the right side of transmission that actuates the pushrod. Changed the hydraulic line just for giggles. Problem solved.

hotroadking

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2016, 08:54:35 PM »

Back together. New sns lifters and mainshaft bearing. Runs like new.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MadCVORG

• '11 FLTRUSE
  • Senior CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2016, 12:50:45 PM »

Hotroadking,
   What pipes are you running on your RG? Doesn't sound like a stocker. I have Rinehart 4" mufflers on my 2011, but also 10.5 pistons. Always thought this bike was noisy, until I heard your video. I can see why the dealers say, "They all sound like that."  The 110 is much more 'active' than my old Evo. I also have Fueling race lifters--thought those would quiet the valve train noise a bit, but that certainly didn't happen. I'm probably pushing 103-106dB at idle.

hotroadking

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2016, 02:25:19 PM »

Fullsac header with 2 inch CVO inserts

Page created in 0.16 seconds with 24 queries.