Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Please help...I'm at the end of my rope...  (Read 7425 times)

wnogood

• Full CVO Member
Re: Please help...I'm at the end of my rope...
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2016, 05:10:55 PM »

What weight oil are you using, the usual 20W/50?  Last year when we went to Sturgis I changed to AMSoil's straight 60 weight  in case of very high temps, and I noticed the engine was quieter than w/ AMSoil's 20W/50 I normally use.  Others have reported same.

Currently I am running 1 quart of SAE60 and the balance 20w50 conventional oil. As I said, the conventional is quieter than the syn was, but still quite noisy. I may change the oil and use all SAE60 and see what that does...

wnogood

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2016, 05:12:18 PM »

Come to think of it, I think I have some amsoil 60w in my stash....might try that too....

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2016, 11:48:12 AM »

You know....I'm ok with that.....these cams work  well enough that I can probably tolerate the noise as a trade off....on the flip  side...if I were to change cams and the noise was still there....I'd be pretty upset to  have given up a superb running sled and still have this irritating noise.... Have you installed many 48's? If so, how many would you say were "Noisier than typical"?
Every time an owner of a bike I have done the heads for has used them they like the torque and mention they make more noise than stock. Simple as that. I would compare them to the SE255 with a bit more brought to the party at the top. The noise is personal opinion. Some can tolerate a little and that said what is a little and what is a lot? I would never guarantee a cam change would cure the issue. It is just a likely cause.
Ask Steve from GMR. He had a case that had an internal leak. Lots of potential causes including even the valve job not being concentric.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2016, 12:26:16 PM by HD Street Performance »

Doc 1

• Doc 1
  • Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2016, 07:30:55 PM »

What lifters are you using?
Doc's Performance Tuning

www.docsperformancetuning.com

wnogood

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2016, 08:24:48 AM »

What lifters are you using?

S&S standard

GMR-PERFORMANCE

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2016, 11:34:46 AM »

the 48 can be a cam that makes noise.. One other thing that many never take into account is crank run out.. So if the "wobble" in the crank ends up being at the right place it is making the cam speed up and slow down. So you are alter jerk rate on the cam.. stars and moons in alignment and what is not a issue in one bike will be in another.

2012 SHARK  S&S 124 150/140   www.gmrperformance.com

wnogood

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2016, 04:20:35 PM »

the 48 can be a cam that makes noise.. One other thing that many never take into account is crank run out.. So if the "wobble" in the crank ends up being at the right place it is making the cam speed up and slow down. So you are alter jerk rate on the cam.. stars and moons in alignment and what is not a issue in one bike will be in another.

Crank runout was measured a couple of weeks ago...came in at .0015

GMR-PERFORMANCE

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2016, 04:42:49 PM »

Ok so that seems fine then the noise is in the head work or piston slap .. Take it apart. and measure things.. I mean you have been dealing with this now for how long and swapping parts is not solving the issue

wnogood

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2016, 10:30:19 AM »

Ok so that seems fine then the noise is in the head work or piston slap .. Take it apart. and measure things.. I mean you have been dealing with this now for how long and swapping parts is not solving the issue

I  get where you are coming from....but the pistons, cylinders, and heads are all new/different parts....

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2016, 11:52:17 AM »

New or re-manufactured?
I would think you are a cam change away from quiet running more than likely.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2016, 12:44:41 PM by HD Street Performance »

GMR-PERFORMANCE

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2016, 12:05:16 PM »

New yes but the noise went away and came back..  it's like you don't want to think the " new parts" can be the issue .. Either bite the bullet and pull it down. OR run it until you break it ..  I mean you keep throwing parts at it and it does not effect it.. so lets be brutally honest here.. The noise is coming from the new parts.. or maybe something like the crank effected the new parts ( IE sticky rod ) .. well good luck not much else can be said

wnogood

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2016, 10:36:47 AM »

New or re-manufactured?
I would think you are a cam change away from quiet running more than likely.

Everything other than the jugs is new from the jugs up... like brand new...

wnogood

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2016, 10:39:16 AM »

New yes but the noise went away and came back..  it's like you don't want to think the " new parts" can be the issue .. Either bite the bullet and pull it down. OR run it until you break it ..  I mean you keep throwing parts at it and it does not effect it.. so lets be brutally honest here.. The noise is coming from the new parts.. or maybe something like the crank effected the new parts ( IE sticky rod ) .. well good luck not much else can be said

I very well know that new parts dont mean good parts. But I'm also smart enough to play the odds.... the only thing that has not changed is the bottom end and the cams.  The entire top end  has been apart and inspected a 2nd time and nothing unusual found... Put yourself in my shoes....what is  to  be discovered by doing it again?

GMR-PERFORMANCE

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2016, 10:55:42 AM »

Inspected or measured???  And if the top end was off was where the rods checked??  Looking at something and measuring are two different things. Just saying .

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2016, 05:29:37 PM »

Speaking for my self only, I've yet to have a built Motor that was quiet, as compared to Stock.  As was mentioned, the 60W definitely runs quieter that 20W-50, and I can't comment on syn., cause I've never used it.  The noise don't bother me, except when I hear that loud jing-a-ling-a ling, or that rapid succession of clap like sounds.  Too late, then.  But they do seem to run better right before they come apart.  Lol.  Then, build another one.  Later--HUBBARD
2012 FLHTCUSE7  (Electric Orange/Black)  Built Motor (124), D&D "Borzilla" Exhaust, Tilley/K&N Air Induction,
"National President"-"Hillbilly Rocket Riders", MC, Mother Chapter, WV
"National President"-"W.H.O.R.E", TPT, WV Chapter
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.17 seconds with 24 queries.