Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: St. Patrick's Day Santa Maria GTG  (Read 5184 times)

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
Re: St. Patrick's Day Santa Maria GTG
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2017, 11:30:33 PM »

Soon we arrive in McKittrick.  The only thing about this town (besides the oil wells) is the Penny Bar in the McKittrick Hotel.  Everything in the bar, including the bar, is covered in pennies even the floor....

Even the floor is covered in pennies.....

Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2017, 01:05:11 AM »

We're rolling back west on a very scenic and beautiful Ca. 58......

and we rode by quite a number of these kind of signs today......

Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2017, 01:06:00 AM »

and wild flowers in all directions for as far as the eye can see.....

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2017, 01:06:54 AM »

and again, more of these kind of signs.....just to make it a bit more interesting ride....

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2017, 01:08:20 AM »

Orange, yellows and purples......

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2017, 01:09:02 AM »

We see a sign that says "Pozo 20 Mi." which is where we were headed.  As we turned off, Marty said it turns in to a dirt road eventually so they all went straight while Miguel and I followed the road.  Yep, sure enough about 4-5 miles in to it, it turned to a dirt road but nice enough.  Eventually it got rougher and rougher but we were to far in now......so we kept on.....

and this sign......really?  Street licensed motorcycles only past this point?   :nervous: :nervous:

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2017, 01:09:55 AM »

You guys know that I ride with my Nikon hanging around my neck and shoot most of my pics on the fly.  I was still able to shoot a few on this dirt road as it got progressively worse and worse.....

Babe wasn't trusting my dirt riding skills on an Ultra Classic so she walked across each of the creeks and rivers that we crossed......there were many.

Shooting over my shoulder......

and some California hillbillies......yep, we got em too...

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2017, 01:10:46 AM »

Hot and dirty.....time for a break after an hour or so of this......

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2017, 01:11:14 AM »

We were getting some very strange looks as we'd pass by the dirt bike riders and the four wheelers.  They'd always come to a complete stop and just stare at us.  They would give us the right of way as we'd slip and slide pass them.  These photos are taken on the easier parts of the roads.....where it got really rough and really tricky or where the water got much deeper, I had to keep both hands on the bars at all times.....

Eventually, 23 miles in to it, we made it to the top of the pass.....it's all down hill from here baby.....    We're told it's 7 1/2 miles down to the asphalt road but it should be much better than the goat trail we'd just rode up....

The 4 wheelers all agreed that we're friggen nuts.....

We made it back to the hotel safe and no scratched paint but we did spend a big part of the day in pucker mode......don't want to do that again.     :nervous: :nervous:

West Coast GTG   

luc.who

• Senior CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3 Slate gray/Black
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2017, 08:34:09 AM »

Great pics thanks for sharing. Wish I could find some of those twist i.e. Signs in Nebraska. The dirt roads reminded me of my trip to Yellowstone a few years back.  Snow ice and mud..  Lol
2012 FLHXSE3 Slate Gray/ Diamond Black
Drago Heads & 580 Cams
118 HP and 125 TQ
Built & Tuned by Wide Open Cycles in Virginia
TTS Master Tuner
Fullsac DX Header
Rinehart 4inch slip ons

Harvey Mushman

« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2017, 11:50:16 AM »

I don't know if I've ever seen CVO off road pics before. Looks lush down there. Thanks for sharing.
Special Thanks to JCZ for his help in routing some of my two cross county trips.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=781149

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 YELLOW!!
« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2017, 09:51:18 PM »

Thank you for sharing JC. Looks like some beautiful country. Hope to see it someday dirt roads and all
Most great stores start with a bad decision

PatrickP

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • KY

• CVO1: 2017 CVO Street Glide Starfire Black / Atomic Red
    • CVO2: 2016 Street Glide Special Willie G Edition in Vivid Black with Screaming Eagle Exhaust, Heated Grips, Stage II Boom Audio and Chrome Enforcers
« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2017, 10:43:11 PM »

Looks like a fantastic memorable ride you all had.. Thanks for sharing!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2017 CVO Street Glide SE Starfire Black/Atomic Red with Screaming Eagle Stage II Exhaust, 117 Stage IV Motor, King TP Color Matched, Heated Grips. etc...
Prev: 2016 Street Glide Special Willie G Edition in Vivid Black with Screaming Eagle Exhaust, Heated Grips, Stage II Boom Audio and Chrome Enforcers

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2017, 11:50:37 PM »

Oh it was certainly a "memorable" weekend!

As we were riding home Miguel got excited and made a wrong turn......and he doesn't have a GPS.  After wasting a couple hours trying to find him, we hooked back up 50 miles down the highway.

Then, as we were heading through LA my bike started doing some weird stuff.  Felt like a grinding in the rear wheel....the rear tire lost some pressure and lost the rear brake completly.  Nothing obvious, no odor or smell, just nothing we could see sitting on the side of the road.  Pulled up the Harley dealership list on the gps and hobbled on the shoulder 3.8 miles.  We arrive and it's no longer a Harley dealership but instead it's an Indian dealership of Westminister.

These guys were incredable!  The salesman comes and inquires and we explain things and tell him that I'm calling Road America for a tow to the Harley dealership.  No problem.....a few minutes later he walks out with a bottle of cold water for each of us.  Then Alan, me and Miguel are talking about removing the trailer hitch right quick.....before it gets to the dealership.  Next thing I know, this guy comes out with a hand full of wrenches, sockets and ratchet and he's on the ground removing the bolts from my trailer hitch.

Long story short, I'm thinking I need to just get back to San Diego and get my truck and trailer and come and get my bike and bring it back to San Diego Harley.  Then Babe says "you're this far north why not just take it to Jim's.....at least you'll know who's working on it".  Perfect, I go in side and ask the VP of the dealership, Leo Hartog, Executive VP of Indian Motorcycles in Westminister what they'd charge me to keep my bike for a couple of days.  He said "nothing....we'll keep it for you right here in the store".  Needless to say, I was very surprised......all of us were.  Their customer service (even for those of us that aren't actually "spending" customers) and hospitality is second to none!

Miguel talked their clothing dept. lady in to a photo and her smile and attitude reflects the attitude of all the staff at Indian Motorcycles of Westminister.

West Coast GTG   

RoadTrip

• Senior CVO Member
    • TX

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Road Glide Ultra
    • Twisted Rides
« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2017, 08:40:30 AM »

That is the way ALL dealers should represent themselves. Kudos to Indian Motorcycles of Westminster.
Some folks seek the comfort of the straight and narrow. Me? I prefer the twisted road.
Twisted Rides Blog
Twisted Rides Videos
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.196 seconds with 25 queries.