Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Erratic idle on a 110  (Read 1496 times)

The Bandit

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • PA

• CVO1: 2011 FLHTCUSE6 Blue flames
Erratic idle on a 110
« on: May 17, 2017, 10:37:37 AM »

I bought a 2011 CVO Electra that has an erratic idle at first start up. It has and sometimes will die due to the RPM drop. I have taken it to a Dealer and they found an exhaust leak at the head and replaced the gaskets. They said they duplicated the idle drop, but could not find an issue to repair. Bike returned to me. It has gotten a new engine temp sensor, plugs, and wires.

The issue was the same with (originally) and now without the PCV. It has a V&H Power Dual head pipe, and CFR mufflers. Service manual makes me want to look at crank sensor or/and MAP sensor. I was also considering different mufflers as the CFR's are said to cause tuning issues.

I am looking for any ideas or help as to which way to turn. Thanks for any help!

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
Re: Erratic idle on a 110
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2017, 11:47:24 AM »

If its only at cold start the issue is in the tune

duneflyer

• AZ

• CVO1: 2013 FLHTCUSE8
    • What supports my hobby. . .
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2017, 03:17:37 PM »

agree with above. If its only at cold, most likely the tune.  Got a programmer?
Enjoying the riding life!

The Bandit

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • PA

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2017, 09:49:24 AM »

I do have a PCV. The bike showed the issue first with and then without the PCV.  I am looking for a tuner reasonably close to me to get it in line.
agree with above. If its only at cold, most likely the tune.  Got a programmer?

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '01 FXDWG2 RED 103 6sp
    • CVO2: '05 FLHTCSE2 CHERRY
    • CVO3: '09 FLTRSE3 YELLOW 117/DD7
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2017, 01:15:39 PM »

'Had the erratic cold idle when I first started running the PC-V on the '09 when the 117 was first Built,,, Idle would fluctuate maybe 25-60RPM, but not enough to stall the Engine... When warmed up the idle was steady...

The fix;
Plug the PC-V (PC-V was installed on the Bike) into the laptop, pull up Fuel Tables, and if the "0"% Throttle Position Column was not all Zeros, then "0" out the Column,,, 'was told by Fuel Moto to '0" out the 10% Throttle Position Column also, but Zeroing the "0"% TPC did the trick...

Quick and Easy to try,,, before you start throwing more $$$ at it....

When I installed the PC-V I had the ECM Flashed back to Stock (it had a SEPT from the SE Stage III Kit) so that I had a known starting point...

Since yours is doing it w/o the PC-V,,, there could be an underlying issue,,, a (small) leak somewhere that seals itself when the Engine heats up / marginal Sensor / marginal connection / or (as others have Posted),,, Tune??

Keep us Posted??

"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

duneflyer

• AZ

• CVO1: 2013 FLHTCUSE8
    • What supports my hobby. . .
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2017, 04:25:58 PM »

'Had the erratic cold idle when I first started running the PC-V on the '09 when the 117 was first Built,,, Idle would fluctuate maybe 25-60RPM, but not enough to stall the Engine... When warmed up the idle was steady...

The fix;
Plug the PC-V (PC-V was installed on the Bike) into the laptop, pull up Fuel Tables, and if the "0"% Throttle Position Column was not all Zeros, then "0" out the Column,,, 'was told by Fuel Moto to '0" out the 10% Throttle Position Column also, but Zeroing the "0"% TPC did the trick...

When I installed the PC-V I had the ECM Flashed back to Stock (it had a SEPT from the SE Stage III Kit) so that I had a known starting point...

Since yours is doing it w/o the PC-V,,, there could be an underlying issue,,, a (small) leak somewhere that seals itself when the Engine heats up / marginal Sensor / marginal connection / or (as others have Posted),,, Tune??

Keep us Posted??

good information here.  I am getting the PC-V installed in the next couple weeks, and then a dynotune to follow. So if I run into this issue, I have an idea of what may be the problem
Enjoying the riding life!

The Bandit

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • PA

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2017, 12:10:34 PM »

Awesome! Will do and thanks!

The fix;

Keep us Posted??

Page created in 0.139 seconds with 20 queries.