Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Another Garage Door Opener Issue. Grrrr  (Read 1658 times)

DCC

• Junior CVO Member
    • IA

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTKSE3 Stardust Silver Canyon Copper
    • CVO2: 2016 FLHTKSE Phantom Blue Palladium Silver
    • CVO3: 2023 FLTKXSE Dark Platinum
Another Garage Door Opener Issue. Grrrr
« on: June 21, 2017, 10:53:07 AM »

New bike - at least to me.  Went from a 2008 CVO to a 2016 CVO.  Using my existing GDO receiver since the one that came with the 2016 was not included with the bike.  I can program the door to go up, but it won't go down.  If I close the door with the wall switch, I can go back to the bike and make it go up again.  I've searched the forum and can't find this specific issue, so I'm wondering if I need to replace my receiver.  I also have another bike (2008 FLHX) with the door opener transmitter and it works perfectly.
DCC - 2023 FLTKXSE, 2016 FLHTKSE, 2008 FLHX,

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: Another Garage Door Opener Issue. Grrrr
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2017, 11:18:40 AM »

Making sure I read correctly.  It's the 2016 that is the issue?  And the 2016 has a transmitter installed.  You know this because the bike's signal will make the door go one way but not the other.

All that being so it's unusual.  The HD bike mounted transmitter does not send different signals for up or down.  It's the same.  That signal triggers the receiver.  If the bike is transmitting any signal that signal should work for up or down if it's the Harley branded transmitter that is installed in the bike.

DCC

• Junior CVO Member
    • IA

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2017, 02:52:25 PM »

That's exactly my thoughts as well.  So they mystery is why it only works going up.  I'm wondering if it makes any difference on how I work the switch.  The 16 has a "flash to pass" button as well as the high/low beam toggle.  I don't know.  Maybe the transmitter on the bike needs replacing.  If I pull the outer fairing, are there indicator lights telling me if is sending the signal or not?

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2017, 03:07:11 PM »

That's exactly my thoughts as well.  So they mystery is why it only works going up.  I'm wondering if it makes any difference on how I work the switch.  The 16 has a "flash to pass" button as well as the high/low beam toggle.  I don't know.  Maybe the transmitter on the bike needs replacing.  If I pull the outer fairing, are there indicator lights telling me if is sending the signal or not?

Really doubt it's a transmitter issue.  It sends only one signal.  It's the same for up or down.  The transmitter simply doesn't know the difference.  You toggle from low beam and high beam and back to low beam all in quick succession.  Do the same for up or down.  So if the xmitter is sending any signal (for either direction) it is sending all the signal it can and doing it when its supposed to.  Same with the HD branded receiver.  It only receives that signal.  It doesn't know whether it's then triggering the door opener to go up or down.  It's the same trigger from it both ways.

On the "back" side of the xmitter there is an LED that blinks when triggered.  Again, that piece is working though.

Not that it should make a difference but, just for grins, I'd try repairing the xmitter and receiver.  Being careful to get familiar with the low-high-low sequence on the headlight switch.  Good luck and will be curious to see what happens.

coloradotom

• Senior CVO Member
    • CO

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2017, 04:04:42 PM »

My opener quit a week back and I got this Chamberlain one and this thing you can open & close it with an app on the phone from anywhere you have the Internets.

At least it's another option to this HD system that doesn't seem to work.

NH Bulldog

• Full CVO Member
    • NH

• CVO1: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 CVO Ultra Classic
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2017, 10:30:21 AM »

With mine, I found that it was a reception issue; if I was pointing at the garage and hit the button, the door would go up and I would ride in.  If I was heading out of the garage/driveway and hit the button, the door would not go down.  To test a theory, I ran an extension cord to a spot just above the door on the inside of the garage and plugged the receiver into it.  In that new spot, I could hit the button and the door would go down sitting in the driveway pointing away from the garage with no issue.  Even better, when coming home, I could now hit the button while still in the street and the door would go up and I could ride right in without stopping (great when dodging raindrops).  Once I verified that was the solution, I ran an outlet to a spot on the exterior wall framing just above the garage door opening and have never had an issue since.  I connected the receiver wires directly to the wall switch and not the opener unit itself.   
« Last Edit: June 22, 2017, 10:32:09 AM by NH Bulldog »
2017 CVO Limited - Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue with Wicked Sapphire
Red Knights MAL

Road Dad

• Senior CVO Member
    • MI

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited - 117 CU
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2017, 11:17:38 AM »

Weak signal maybe and when the door is open it blocks the signal from the bike to the opener. Try moving the receiver to a wall mount in the garage.

DCC

• Junior CVO Member
    • IA

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2017, 12:02:26 PM »

Do any of you with the rushmore bikes notice a difference if you use the "flash-to-pass" switch instead of toggling high/low beam?  Today, I could get the door to go both directions using just the flash-to-pass.  Is that weird or what??

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2017, 01:43:42 PM »

Do any of you with the rushmore bikes notice a difference if you use the "flash-to-pass" switch instead of toggling high/low beam?  Today, I could get the door to go both directions using just the flash-to-pass.  Is that weird or what??

Not weird at all.  The transmitter in the fairing just senses the change in the current flow in the wiring to the headlight, and doesn't care what caused the change.  Flash to pass should work just like actually flipping the switch from lo to hi and vice versa.

Go back up a couple posts and look at how Bulldog fixed the same issue by moving the receiver to improve reception.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2017, 08:22:56 AM »

I have never noticed a difference using Flash to pass on either my 15 or my 17.  My wife has not noticed a difference either.  We find it easier to use flash to pass to open or close the door.
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

DCC

• Junior CVO Member
    • IA

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2017, 10:22:54 AM »

I think I have my issues resolved.  It seems the new bike does not have the same transmit range as the other bikes.  Not sure why that is, but I took Road Dad's and Bulldog's advice and relocated the receiver so that it is on a wall close to the front of the garage near the door.  All good and thanks everyone for the fix.  I do like using the flash to pass button as well.

Glenncarp

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2017, 07:53:50 AM »

I have sae bike, left old plug in garage and I use flash to pass and low/high beams and both open and close garage door. Sounds like when you pull into the garage, something is impeding the signal to the GDO

Page created in 0.18 seconds with 20 queries.