Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: difference in performance from Hog Tunes to Hawg Wired?  (Read 9494 times)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: difference in performance from Hog Tunes to Hawg Wired?
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2007, 09:30:37 PM »

You do not need to mount it in any specific place, just whever it will fit with reach of the wires. You have the number if you have any questions on the install.

With one at least potential exception.  Mine are mounted generally in the area shown in the picture above and without problem.  A guy I know got a set after I got mine and he stuck his right on top of the radio.  After that the radio wanted to stop on nearly every freq while seeking.  An interference issue of some time.  The following weekend he moved them outboard just a bit and the problem went away.

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2007, 11:54:27 PM »

With one at least potential exception.  Mine are mounted generally in the area shown in the picture above and without problem.  A guy I know got a set after I got mine and he stuck his right on top of the radio.  After that the radio wanted to stop on nearly every freq while seeking.  An interference issue of some time.  The following weekend he moved them outboard just a bit and the problem went away.

Good info Don, Never had that happen before, although I have not mounted them to the top of the radio either.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2007, 01:27:05 AM »

Good info Don, Never had that happen before, although I have not mounted them to the top of the radio either.

Jim, the funniest part of the whole thing was when he called and asked where I'd stuck mine.  Before I could answer he followed with "on top of the radio, right?"  When I laughed he thought I was laughing at him when instead I was just thinking that nothing else could fit on top of my radio  :huepfenlol2: .

LeRoy

• Full CVO Member
  • God, Family, Country, Harley !
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2007, 11:54:20 AM »

I mounted the CX component speakers and the crossovers last night  They do sound nice.  Much improved volume and clarity without distortion.

With regard to the polarity the HW instructions say to ensure the polarity is set correct.  I cannot tell which of the speaker wires are supposed to be positive or negative on the Hawg Wired.  there are 2 wires to connect to the stock CVO radio speaker wires.  on the Hawg Wired it is one solid red and the other solid red with a black stripe.

Tell me if I hooked it up wrong.  I connected the stock CVO radio wires to the HW speakers like this..
A.  1. Left side = HW solid red to CVO solid red......2. HW red and black to CVO white with red stripe (this white wire with black stripe was connected to the positive terminal of the stock CVO speaker.)

B. 1. same as above for the right side but the stock CVO wiring was grey solid and blue with green stripe.  I just went striped wire to striped wire. and solid to solid.  again the striped wire was originally on the positive side of the stock speaker.

I am hoping that the HW red with black stripe wire was supposed to be the positive hookup.

It sounds fine but just want some positive feedbak on the polarity.

Thanks.

LeRoy.

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member

• Metal Dragon
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2007, 12:06:31 PM »

Leroy;
The solid red is positive on the HW speakers. and the red/black is negative. The colors you are referencing do not make sense as I remember the overlay harness on the CVO's has white/ pink & pink for the left and white/gray & gray for the right. I will double check when I get the book infront of me this evening.

LeRoy

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2007, 02:28:53 PM »

Leroy;
The solid red is positive on the HW speakers. and the red/black is negative. The colors you are referencing do not make sense as I remember the overlay harness on the CVO's has white/ pink & pink for the left and white/gray & gray for the right. I will double check when I get the book infront of me this evening.

HD-Dude, you are correct o the colors of the CVO wiring...I wrote the post this morning after a sleepless night with 50+ MPH winds up here...couldnt remember the right side striped wire color combo...

Bottom line though if I hooked up solid color to solid color and striped to striped am I correct.  I just looked again at the stock speakers and there are no + or - markings anywhere.  the 2 posts are different sized blade connectors though with the bigger blade(in width) connector being the connected to the solid colored wire on the stock hookup.  The stock white/pink and the white/grey striped wires are both connected to the smaller post on the stock speakers. The only other indication or mark on the stock speakers as to positive or negative is a red marker dot placed by one of the smaller posts(striped wire connected).     

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member

• Metal Dragon
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2007, 02:45:45 PM »

HD-Dude, you are correct o the colors of the CVO wiring...I wrote the post this morning after a sleepless night with 50+ MPH winds up here...couldnt remember the right side striped wire color combo...

Bottom line though if I hooked up solid color to solid color and striped to striped am I correct.  I just looked again at the stock speakers and there are no + or - markings anywhere.  the 2 posts are different sized blade connectors though with the bigger blade(in width) connector being the connected to the solid colored wire on the stock hookup.  The stock white/pink and the white/grey striped wires are both connected to the smaller post on the stock speakers. The only other indication or mark on the stock speakers as to positive or negative is a red marker dot placed by one of the smaller posts(striped wire connected).     

The red dot indicates the positive side and if memory serves me right that is the smaller of the two connectors. If this is the case it sounds like you have both speakers backwards. I will verify when I get the book in front of me later today.

LeRoy

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2007, 07:32:05 PM »

The red dot indicates the positive side and if memory serves me right that is the smaller of the two connectors. If this is the case it sounds like you have both speakers backwards. I will verify when I get the book in front of me later today.

HD -dude.. I will wait to pull the fairing front off tonight and rewire until I get your confirmation that I did it backwards...I had a 50/50 chance and went with stripe to stripe and solid to solid...had to be wrong...!

LeRoy.

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member

• Metal Dragon
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2007, 07:45:13 PM »

HD -dude.. I will wait to pull the fairing front off tonight and rewire until I get your confirmation that I did it backwards...I had a 50/50 chance and went with stripe to stripe and solid to solid...had to be wrong...!

LeRoy.

Leroy;

The solid red on the HW speaker is the positive and the red/blakc is negative. The smaller terminal on your stock wires is the positive.

LeRoy

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2007, 08:11:31 PM »

Leroy;

The solid red on the HW speaker is the positive and the red/blakc is negative. The smaller terminal on your stock wires is the positive.

Yep, just as I figured 50/50 and lost... out to the garage.....
Thanks though.

LeRoy.

LeRoy

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2007, 06:46:26 PM »

Ok, now that I got the polarity right.....  (I would have never thought it would have made a difference though)

I am totally impressed on the performance of these speakers...

when I had the polarity wrong it must have made a difference in the sound ...because I was not impressed that much...but now...HOLY COW....Twolanerider was spot on as usual in his assessment of the CX component speakers by HW.  The Volume is incredible and the bass response and clarity is great....sounds like a hom stereo in my fairing.

Thanks guys... GOOD CALL,

and thanks to HD dude as well for product support and a discount...Let me know as soon as the 2 ohm CX speakers are ready...my Roadglide buddy wants em bad! 

LeRoy. :orange: :2vrolijk_21: :carrot:

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2007, 09:30:13 PM »

sounds like a home stereo in my fairing.

Really is a cool before and after comparison isn't it LeRoy?  A real surprise that so much difference comes from so little effort.  Granted, going down the road at highways speeds we're just cranking it up to compensate for the environment anyway.  But being able to easily understand spoken words transmissions like the news or talk radio along with the significantly better music is a real treat.  And then, of course, when you crank 'em up in the parking lot for the local crowd.....   :bananarock:

LeRoy

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2007, 11:34:16 PM »

Really is a cool before and after comparison isn't it LeRoy?  A real surprise that so much difference comes from so little effort.  Granted, going down the road at highways speeds we're just cranking it up to compensate for the environment anyway.  But being able to easily understand spoken words transmissions like the news or talk radio along with the significantly better music is a real treat.  And then, of course, when you crank 'em up in the parking lot for the local crowd.....   :bananarock:

What is really fun is having one of the HD music CD, road tunes I think it is called, with the recorded audio (at the beginning of the first track) of a twin cam revving up real loud 3 or 4 times and then taking off down the road.... Do that sitting at a stoplight next to someone with their window down...boy do they look puzzled!  Especially with your  hands on your knees!

GOOD STUFF...

LeRoy.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2007, 11:37:10 PM »

What is really fun is having one of the HD music CD, road tunes I think it is called, with the recorded audio (at the beginning of the first track) of a twin cam revving up real loud 3 or 4 times and then taking off down the road.... Do that sitting at a stoplight next to someone with their window down...boy do they look puzzled!  Especially with your  hands on your knees!

GOOD STUFF...

LeRoy.

Crap, now I've got to find that disk......

LeRoy

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2007, 10:49:22 PM »

Not to beat a dead horse or anything...but all you  CVO electra glide owners with the non Harmon Kardon radios like my 2004 pumpkin has 120 watts 60 per channel 4 ohm, BUY these CX component Hawg Wired speakers.... Just do it if you want to be blown away by your stock radio....

you DONT need an additional amp or anything else, just get theHawg wired CX speakers. 1 hour to install(once you get the +and - correct).....

I went out to the Garage tonight after not listening to the stereo for a day and cranked it up with various CD's and the better radio stations.....

whole new listening experience..

I guess thats all I will say about it.

LeRoy.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.178 seconds with 20 queries.