Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Dumb mistakes that waste two hours  (Read 5023 times)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Dumb mistakes that waste two hours
« on: February 23, 2007, 11:51:34 AM »

This is one of those "d'uh" moments that requires one to laugh at his buddy because the other option would be to throw a wrench at him. 

Went on a little ride yesterday afternoon during which ran in to a buddy out on his Road Glide.  He'd done the cannibalized-Stebel-horn thing last year after I'd done mine.  His, like mine, had always worked without issue.

Yesterday why we're out he toots it once; proudly.  Then later at a stop light he tells me the horn has stopped working.

We're about done for the afternoon so we head on to may place to look it over.  Fuse ok?  Check.  Uh oh, no signaling power coming from the horn button....

So open up the harness to check the connection from the stock harness that extends to the new relay.  It's ok too.  Damn.  Maybe a bad horn button?  Tear apart the left clamp (now with the battery unhooked).  It's ok too.

He'd done something inside the fairing recently so next check there to make sure nothing got pinched.  Fairing is yanked.  Can't see a thing.

"Tony," I asked him, "why isn't this damned thing working?"  We scratch various pieces of anatomy.  I hook the battery back up.  Push the button.  Horn blows just fine.  Nice and LOUD. 

I look at Tony, Tony looks at me, he reaches up and puts his hand on the grip and no horn.  "Do it again" I tell him.  Then I notice his (dumbass) thumb is covering the blinker switch, not the horn switch.

"Tony, how many years have you been riding?"

"10 or 12"

"First ride this spring?" 

"yeah"

"Where's the f**k**g horn button Tony?"

"oh......."

At least there wasn't a parts bill  :drink: .

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
Re: Dumb mistakes that waste two hours
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2007, 11:54:47 AM »

sounds like you should be handing him a  :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: bill
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2007, 02:06:12 PM »

I'm sure about the time you saw where his hand was, you were ready to jack slap him.
I'm about as dumb.  Bought a new Canon A550 camera yesterday and couldn't get the battery lid open after sliding the release.  Took back to the store and opening was a 2 step operation.  Release latch, slide cover out, and then open.  Felt dumb.  A good friend said "It's no use being dumb unless you can show it".

rubaga

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2010 SESG
    • CVO2: 08 SERK Anniversary
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2007, 05:01:55 PM »

Hi Twolane!

Great story! Made my day!!!

Thanks for sharing it.

cuthbertss

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • red bikes..lots o red bikes

• CVO1: 2005 FLHTCSE2 (Red!)
    • CVO2: 2001 FXDWG2 ( way red!)
    • CVO3: 2005 Ford F350 HD True Blue Metallic
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2007, 05:05:25 PM »

Beautiful!!!!

ccr

• SEEG Cult Senior Member
  • 5k CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2007, 05:28:08 PM »

Well, just another reminder with troubleshooting, start with the simplest thing first.  :2vrolijk_21:

With computers - save and save often.  8)

That was hilarious, albeit painful for you.  So I guess you pain and my gain.   ;D

TCinVA

• Elite CVO Member
  • FINALLY!

• CVO1: 2007 B&O FLHTCUSE2
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2007, 05:39:54 PM »

This is one of those "d'uh" moments that requires one to laugh at his buddy because the other option would be to throw a wrench at him. 

Went on a little ride yesterday afternoon during which ran in to a buddy out on his Road Glide.  He'd done the cannibalized-Stebel-horn thing last year after I'd done mine.  His, like mine, had always worked without issue.

Yesterday why we're out he toots it once; proudly.  Then later at a stop light he tells me the horn has stopped working.

We're about done for the afternoon so we head on to may place to look it over.  Fuse ok?  Check.  Uh oh, no signaling power coming from the horn button....

So open up the harness to check the connection from the stock harness that extends to the new relay.  It's ok too.  Damn.  Maybe a bad horn button?  Tear apart the left clamp (now with the battery unhooked).  It's ok too.

He'd done something inside the fairing recently so next check there to make sure nothing got pinched.  Fairing is yanked.  Can't see a thing.

"Tony," I asked him, "why isn't this damned thing working?"  We scratch various pieces of anatomy.  I hook the battery back up.  Push the button.  Horn blows just fine.  Nice and LOUD. 

I look at Tony, Tony looks at me, he reaches up and puts his hand on the grip and no horn.  "Do it again" I tell him.  Then I notice his (dumbass) thumb is covering the blinker switch, not the horn switch.

"Tony, how many years have you been riding?"

"10 or 12"

"First ride this spring?" 

"yeah"

"Where's the f**k**g horn button Tony?"

"oh......."

At least there wasn't a parts bill  :drink: .

Reminds me of me (another Tony :nixweiss:).  I've got a real bad habit after being off the bike a week or three, of pressing my left turn signal only to hear the familiar "blatt" of the horn.  Trouble is, this usually happens it's at the end of my neighborhood and right in front of the same house - EVERY STINKIN' TIME.  Oh yeah, did I mention this is usually about 0500??  By about the 3rd or 12th time, I imagine this got pretty old to the resident of said house.  So I figured it out.  I just don't signal anymore... :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2:
TC

WFP

• WoeFully Pathetic!
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2008 Maggie Valley GTG

• CVO1: WFP-2003 FXSTDSE
    • CVO2: WFP2-2014 FLHTKSE
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2007, 06:43:49 PM »

Doctor, I have this friend you know, and this friend has a problem, the friend really would like assistance so this friend asked me to ask you about this rash on his....
Finally have ridden a Harley in all 50 US States!

Canadian Provinces NOT travelled in or through by Motorcycle (YET!!!):

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2007, 08:24:14 PM »

Reminds me of me (another Tony :nixweiss:).  I've got a real bad habit after being off the bike a week or three, of pressing my left turn signal only to hear the familiar "blatt" of the horn.  Trouble is, this usually happens it's at the end of my neighborhood and right in front of the same house - EVERY STINKIN' TIME.  Oh yeah, did I mention this is usually about 0500??  By about the 3rd or 12th time, I imagine this got pretty old to the resident of said house.  So I figured it out.  I just don't signal anymore... :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2:
TC

TC, for about 10 months about three years ago I had a Vulcan here.  Nice little Kawasaki actually.  A guy sold it so cheap I couldn't turn it down and ended up playing with it for about 10 months before turning it.  Trouble was going from one to the other I kept hitting the starter at the most inopportune times.  Never broke anything.  But I'll be damned if I know why not.

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2007, 08:37:25 PM »

I never use my horn since the stock horn isn't worth blowing. If the high/low beam switch wasn't right beside it, I'd never know where it is. I hit it by accident (fat fingers) every now and then .

B B

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2007, 08:40:28 PM »

I never use my horn since the stock horn isn't worth blowing. If the high/low beam switch wasn't right beside it, I'd never know where it is. I hit it by accident (fat fingers) every now and then .

B B

Brian, find that thread here somewhere about cannibalizing the little Stebel air horns.  It actually does make enough noise to be noticed (at least in town).  It's also a surprisingly easy install.  Best of all the part was cheap.  My original died after a day in the rain.  They'd died so often in years past though decided to try this for a Plan B.  So far it's been a satisfactory choice.

TCinVA

• Elite CVO Member
  • FINALLY!

• CVO1: 2007 B&O FLHTCUSE2
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2007, 09:44:11 PM »

TC, for about 10 months about three years ago I had a Vulcan here.  Nice little Kawasaki actually.  A guy sold it so cheap I couldn't turn it down and ended up playing with it for about 10 months before turning it.  Trouble was going from one to the other I kept hitting the starter at the most inopportune times.  Never broke anything.  But I'll be damned if I know why not.
TwoLane,
Understand fully.  My daughter got a Suzuki Savage.  Neat little bike, but everything's in the WRONG place ;D.
TC

Gettinold

• 5k CVO Member
  • SOMEWHERE NORTH OF HEAVEN WHERE EAGLES DONT FLY
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2007, 05:00:48 AM »

DON THATS WHAT FREINDS ARE FOR. IF HE HAD TAKEN IT TO THE STEALER FOR REPAIR, THEY WOULD OF CHARGED HIM. :deal:
09 FLTRSE3   ORG & BLK
06 VRSCSE2    ORG & BLK
04 FLHTCSE   ORG & BLK    SOLD
94 FXSTS      CUSTOM

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2007, 02:04:20 PM »

DON THATS WHAT FREINDS ARE FOR. IF HE HAD TAKEN IT TO THE STEALER FOR REPAIR, THEY WOULD OF CHARGED HIM. :deal:

Amen to that G.O.  Better yet we still had a good time.  Also killed a couple of Rolling Rock.  So it was a good afternoon.

woody

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2007, 09:35:23 AM »

Sounds like you had a good one on one time there. Maybe he just wanted to see how far this could go. Remember those big white horn buttons you would see hose clamped to the steering column on some old rods? Maybe that would help him out. Just kidding, we all make a mistake like that once in a while. :'(
« Last Edit: March 22, 2007, 08:43:26 PM by woody »
WOODY
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.175 seconds with 21 queries.